Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
3 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Hey scorcher.. They always say things come in 3s...good or bad... I'm feeling fairly confident of further plumes. Oh and just to point out to all you guys and gals on here.... The running commentary as been superb, unrivalled probably anywhere in the world... So a big thanks to you all... Until the next time...

Could do with a string of decent snowy winters for a change!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

Seconded

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
Just now, prolongedSnowLover said:

Could do with a string of decent snowy winters for a change!

Now that I won't disagree with.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Yes and no reason with a slight adjustment why the UK couldn't manage 40C too. It could be decades before we get sufficient uppers again but if we only need a slight improvement on this setup and 40C is definitely possible. As Cheese has mentioned, I'm sure people in the Netherlands were questioning at one point whether 40C was achievable there.

All if if if's and doesn't mean diddly. Always slight adjustment here, slight adjustment there and we will get record this, record that. Well a slight adjustment in the way the lottery balls spun in the drum and i'd have been a millionaire! but guess what, i'm not.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Stonethecrows said:

All if if if's and doesn't mean diddly. Always slight adjustment here, slight adjustment there and we will get record this, record that. Well a slight adjustment in the way the lottery balls spun in the drum and i'd have been a millionaire! but guess what, i'm not.

Exactly if the jet stream had dived south over north Africa blah it could have been really cold or if the low pressure had been in this position etc. it didn't it was where it was and that's what happened no what if or what that.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Stonethecrows said:

Thanks for your insightful comment, you seem to have missed my point entirely. I didn't exactly say "if only we shifted the UK 500 miles further south" did I? In this case it would only have taken a very slight difference, perhaps even in the timing of the highest uppers, for us to reach 40C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

^And that record was beaten probably by many weather stations as well.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
24 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I don't think it will be decades, I was just saying you never know when we will get uppers of 22/23C again- hopefully next week though! It does make you wonder if we will get another bite at the record this summer with this being the second time we've witnessed almost unprecedented 850 hPa temps.

Well the way I look at it is that it'll be difficult to stop warming over North Africa / Spain in the summer where these plumes come from. If we see the patterns repeat again at this time of the year in the future then we can only assume that each plume will be slightly hotter. Though cloud cover is also an added complication.

I dread to think of the kind of temperatures we would see if we saw 1976 style synoptics again in this day and age. Although this has been an intense spell of heat it has only been short. 

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
6 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Worth remembering: We broke the July record today by 1.4C. That's a big margin!! 

Absolutely.  If I was a heat lover I'd think it was my birthday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I was personally more interested in breaking the all time record than reaching 40c, however I think the reason is that we don’t often get these synoptics - it is only the second time we’ve breached 100f after all.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

Seriously some of you on here will never be satisfied...if your expectations are that high you will be disappointed an awful lot. Today has been a remarkable day- the 2nd warmest day on record in the UK in fact and the warmest July day on record.

The other amazing thing today is the extent of the 32C+ temperatures. Across England it is certainly the hottest day as a whole since 2006 at least and in many places since 1990. A huge number of locations have recorded 35C and not just in the south. In my area I'm pretty certain it's the warmest day since 1990.

Yes up here many stations smashed their all-time records. Today will probably be warmer than 2003 in the CET series because unlike 2003 the heat today was spread over most of England and not confined to the SE.

The university of Leeds reached 35C. Easily the hottest day I have experienced here in almost 32 years of life.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Temperatures are now beginning to fall so it looks like whilst this spell was recording breaking for July it wasn't record-breaking in terms of the UK's hottest temperature ever falling 0.5c short at 38.1c

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

Temperatures are now beginning to fall so it looks like whilst this spell was recording breaking for July it wasn't record-breaking in terms of the UK's hottest temperature ever falling 0.5c short at 38.1c

Not here they're not!  Up to 33.2C from 32.6 an hour or so ago.  Mind you, won't threaten 38.5C, thankfully.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Now that I won't disagree with.

Can’t see that sadly, especially with those high temps in the North East Pacific, which been present pretty much since 2014!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

It’s just a psychological barrier at an extreme for the UK. It’s a bit like a batsman scoring 100 in cricket. If they get out on 99 it’s considered a bit of a failure in comparison to 100. People just like milestones that’s all.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

A number of all-time local records must've fallen today.

Writtle (Chelmsford) in Essex reached 37.7C according to MetO, smashing its Aug '03 record of 35.7C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Thoroughly enjoyed the weather today in London, I think we peaked at 37-38. The UK has set a new July record temp  - which is a huge milestone (even if it was only set 4 years ago). 

Now can the SE get battered by severe storms please!

Posted
2 minutes ago, h2005__uk__ said:

A number of all-time local records must've fallen today.

Writtle (Chelmsford) in Essex reached 37.7C according to MetO, smashing its Aug '03 record of 35.7C.

The East of England one went with the 38.1C at Cambridge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the weather today in London, I think we peaked at 37-38. The UK has set a new July record temp  - which is a huge milestone (even if it was only set 4 years ago). 

Now can the SE get battered by severe storms please!

38c at Northolt. Absolutely scorching today. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
11 minutes ago, Don said:

Can’t see that sadly, especially with those high temps in the North East Pacific, which been present pretty much since 2014!

Its one factor though Don. Even with those high temps in the Pacific last winter, didn't stop long term predictions of a cold winter, fair enough it didn't come off.... But other factors like a strong warming, and split vortex could bring us into the game... I've noticed how these are becoming increasingly common in recent times as well. Northern blocking has been showing to some degree as well for the best part of 3 months. Can this continue till end of the year? Its possible! I certainly think we will see more of an effort than last winter Don. Where to my knowledge I don't even recall seeing a run of sharp frosts! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Perhaps without the cloud cover something in the 38.5-39c region might have been achieved at the Heathrow heat dome....all ifs buts and maybes though. Still mightily impressive, second on the all time list.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

well ive thoughoughly enjoyed todays conditions.. its been a brilliant day, the heat and humidity has really brought out the scent of my lilies. i worked in it, no problem.

• Like 2