Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

I’m not sure as to the optimum warm time this time of year but we probably have until about 4pm to try and achieve it. 

If Cambridge really is showing 38c now then it is easily possible 

Posted

Clouds clearing nicely now  where I am in Cambridge. Full sun and milky sky. 

The race is on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
Just now, matty007 said:

I’m not sure as to the optimum warm time this time of year but we probably have until about 4pm to try and achieve it. 

I think you're right, we'll know in the next 45 minutes - but the announcement might come a little later. I think it will be close! (My guess was 38.9 in the competition, which I now think is bullish!)

Posted
Just now, Selliso said:

I think you're right, we'll know in the next 45 minutes - but the announcement might come a little later. I think it will be close! (My guess was 38.9 in the competition, which I now think is bullish!)

Umm, I’m not too sure. I think that is achievable. 

You also have to remember that sometimes maximums go unnoticed and are announced later (Faversham 2003 for example) 

Just because they are showing 37-38c now, does not mean that has already not been surpassed 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A chance of the all time CET maximum record going too. This is 33.2C in both the 3rd of July, 1976 and 3rd of August, 1990.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

I'd say between now and 4.30pm is going to be the do or die time, nice clearances for Cambridge and only a moderate level of mid-high cloud for Sw/W London over the next 90 minutes means I think there is still a good shot at the record going. Tight run thing though for sure.

Need just 1c extra (0.9c for Kew/Writtle), though Writtle may fall away as the cloud cover increases as showers move in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I’d be amazed if it’s 37.7 at writtle and not at least the same here. Sun has been unbroken all day.

Posted
1 minute ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

A chance of the all time CET maximum record going too. This is 33.2C in both the 3rd of July, 1976 and 3rd of August, 1990.

I think someone calculated that as of 2pm the record was already tied, and since then its only gone upwards a little further. Could get close to 34 once all is done.

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

I’d be amazed if it’s 37.7 at writtle and not at least the same here. Sun has been unbroken all day.

There are a few unofficial stations that are higher than the official ones. Most of them very reliable and accurate 

In my experience it’s quite common for the reliable unofficial stations to be higher than Heathrow etc

Not that they are counted of course, which is rather annoying 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and stormy, cold and icy!

Hi all. I had an unexpected afternoon off so decided to drive up to Heathrow and am on official heat watch! I’m in Longford more specifically just to the north of the observation station and can confirm it’s roasting! 

Cloud is milky at worst and only for short periods with shadows always visible so maybe still in the game? Not seen the latest temps but plenty of clear sky around at the moment.

DB80F114-AC98-4A38-9613-B887F2535B93.jpeg

Edited by Mr Bartlettazores

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Somewhere with a tin pot station will no doubt declare 40c has been breached...not sure it will be accepted but you never know with MetO and it's alliance to get headline breaking news!, remember after last summer when strangely said (not sure if this was the MetO or BBC) it was the hottest summer on record when in fact it was only the 4th.

Anyway what is the difference between the official and unofficial stations, equipment used?

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

35c in derby making it the hottest july day recorded here

Posted

Personal weather stations around Heathrow back on the way up, several have leapt up nearly 1c in the last 20-30 minutes,a similar rise for the official station would put us within touchig distance of the record at this point.

Probably 45-60 minutes of warming left before we level out and cloud increases again from the south, especially for London based stations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Hottest day in the East of England:

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1154395859372707840

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted

Looking at the map of unofficial stations right now, the record could go anywhere. There's 38C plus widely between London and The Wash, and also into Kent (did I hear someone say Gravesend...). Just needs a reporting station in the right position. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters

Looks like official 38 for Cambridge 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The heat is certainly not isolated, many stations reporting 36c/37c from Oxfordshire across to Essex and pushing quite far north. Exceptional day but with the broken cloud you need one of these stations to luck out with the clear slots to see how hot it really gets.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
7 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Somewhere with a tin pot station will no doubt declare 40c has been breached...not sure it will be accepted but you never know with MetO and it's alliance to get headline breaking news!, remember after last summer when strangely said (not sure if this was the MetO or BBC) it was the hottest summer on record when in fact it was only the 4th.

Anyway what is the difference between the official and unofficial stations, equipment used?

See this Twitter exchange between myself and Dan Holley:

https://twitter.com/CBellNorfolk/status/1144978006953345024

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Have my doubts about some of these smaller 'stations' - 101f near Shoeburyness in Essex, that's 38c where up the road here on the coast it's just above 33c and that's with a gentle on shore breeze!