Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
Just now, Ed Stone said:

A very odd comment...It's like saying that 'with current global warming' wintertime snowfalls are technically impossible'...which is clearly not the case!

People are taking this very wrong. There is a reason why Scotland has never recorded over 32.9c. It is further north. The heat celing diminshes.

Now obviosuly Cambridge is a lot further south, but it still far enough north to be incapable of nearing 40c. The limit for Cambridge is probably about 37-37.5c, somewhere around there. An extra degree or two may not sound a lot, but when you are talking maximums, it is hard to acheive.

I like a bit of debate but I'm sticking to the fact that for chances of breaking the all time record, and closing in on 40c, it's London/Kent area or bust. Can Cambridge set a higher temp than Heathrow if it's got better conditions, sure. But it's not the same thing.

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I think we will fall short - I can see cloud arriving by 2-3pm which will really put a lid on things.

Of course it may be different when it reaches you, but there's only been about 20-30 minutes of inconsequential cloud here so far - I'm probably 3 hours downstream of you when it comes to cloud. Good luck!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

1st batch of showers starting to break out in the south. North of London could well be the hot spot today away from the advancing cloud longest

273433499_download(2).thumb.png.342db24c3a8cd80d158a884fd2342ec4.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, matty007 said:

People are taking this very wrong. There is a reason why Scotland has never recorded over 32.9c. It is further north. The heat celing diminshes.

Now obviosuly Cambridge is a lot further south, but it still far enough north to be incapable of nearing 40c. The limit for Cambridge is probably about 37-37.5c, somewhere around there. An extra degree or two may not sound a lot, but when you are talking maximums, it is hard to acheive.

I like a bit of debate but I'm sticking to the fact that for chances of breaking the all time record, and closing in on 40c, it's London/Kent area or bust. Can Cambridge set a higher temp than Heathrow if it's got better conditions, sure. But it's not the same thing.

Try telling that to the dinosaurs, that used to live in Cambridge, Matt?:oldgrin:

• Like 2

Posted

Just a thought but if it's partly cloudy but not over the part of the sky where the sun is, potentially that could add an extra 0.5C because heat radiation bounces from the ground to the cloud then back down again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Absolutely - this is classic stuff and almost certainly historic even if the all-time UK record doesn't go (which I think it will).  I'm afraid I've had my suspicions since last summer that heat enthusiasts are more demanding and less easily impressed than winter cold-lovers.

I must completely disagree. You must surely be reading a different forum in winter? Utterly unrealistic expectations rule on here and the toy throwing and tantrums when a 1963 winter doesn’t materialise would be supremely entertaining, if people weren’t actually serious. I’ve questioned people’s mental health a few times!

If I may say, most summer lovers on here don’t want endless heatwaves and a dying landscape. Myself included. Just several good spells of sunshine and warmth, with decent thundery outbreaks thrown in. Average conditions in the SE, for example are not too shabby at all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

I must completely disagree. You must surely be reading a different forum in winter? Utterly unrealistic expectations rule on here and the toy throwing and tantrums when a 1963 winter doesn’t materialise would be supremely entertaining, if people weren’t actually serious. I’ve questioned people’s mental health a few times!

If I may say, most summer lovers on here don’t want endless heatwaves and a dying landscape. Myself included. Just several good spells of sunshine and warmth, with decent thundery outbreaks thrown in. Average conditions in the SE, for example are not too shabby at all.

Perhaps it's been enough months since the last time I read coldies' comments!

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Perhaps it's been enough months since the last time I read that!

Maybe we should come back and have this conversation at the end of the coming winter! Unless, of course we do get a very cold one

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Cambridge hottest in the uk at the moment at 36 lol *side eye*

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Nor really, i just want winters to be like the mid 80's again, 6 inch fall of snow minimum with 10inch in a good year and a few other lighter falls dotted in, would like a LIA or maunder minimum type winter obviously but i would take the above, its just that 2 inches of slush doesn't float my boat.

• Like 2

Posted

I think Heathrow and Northolt may have some cloud over it currently, at least according to the satellites. Cambridge may continue to be the hottest area until that cloud clears away a bit before the main area of cloud coming up from France.

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

Cambridge hottest in the uk at the moment at 36 lol *side eye*

Nearing it's celing. Will max out at 37ish, maybe lower 38 at a strech.

I would love to end up with egg on my face and see us record the UK all time maximum but my gut is telling me it's a bridge to far in this location. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
24 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Yes, this is the point i'm making. If Heathrow clouds over, then Cambridge may beat it...today. But I don't then think it would go on to set the all time UK maximum.

People can disagree, but it is too far north to achieve the most extreme of temps. It's Heathrow/Northolt/Kent if you are looking for 38.5c plus.

I see no reason why Cambridge couldn’t exceed 38.5c today. It’s already 36c there. Cambridge is only a short distance north of London and has the added advantage of that extra 50miles or so of land where the air could heat up that bit further. 

Personally I think Heathrow and Cambridge are likely to end up at a similar temperature today, and both could be record breaking in terms of the all time high. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Loifeless said:

I think Heathrow and Northolt may have some cloud over it currently, at least according to the satellites. Cambridge may continue to be the hottest area until that cloud clears away a bit before the main area of cloud coming up from France.

Yes, currently patchy cloud here in west London blocking the sun. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Yes, currently patchy cloud here in west London blocking the sun. 

IR model is showing virtually no cloud!??

Bloody cloud, why can't it do one until after 4pm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Cambridge looking like the best bet for the record IMO. Come on!

• Like 5

Posted

Judging by how much cloud is coming up the channel now. I think that overall temperature record may prove hard to beat now. July record I still think is probable (and we may find out in the next hour or so where)

Posted

No reason why Cambridge can't get as high as say Heathrow, they are under more or less the same depth of hot airmass, so in theory they should be able to reach similar levels, and no reason why if Heathrow can go +38c today, then Cambridge can as well given the set-up within 50 miles really isn;t that much different in a north-south aligned flow (so UHI heat is overspilling northwards so to speak).

I wouldn't be shocked if the July record already has gone in the last hour, or is very close to going.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted

I sincerly hope that this doesn't turn into a 2015 repeat.

Models are showing little to no cloud, but the temps in Heathrow do seem to be flattening. May have lost a couple of degrees if there is cloud there. Makes a big difference to the end result.

Posted
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

IR model is showing virtually no cloud!??

Bloody cloud, why can't it do one until after 4pm.

Overhead W London, patchy but still cloud nonetheless

074E3F55-6F2D-4ADE-9165-47583972416D.thumb.jpeg.0e31be3b1b32d9279f3345afddc88578.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

Overhead W London, patchy but still cloud nonetheless

074E3F55-6F2D-4ADE-9165-47583972416D.thumb.jpeg.0e31be3b1b32d9279f3345afddc88578.jpeg

Oh dear. That's quite severe cloud really. Will heavily suffocate the temps.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Loifeless said:

Judging by how much cloud is coming up the channel now. I think that overall temperature record may prove hard to beat now. July record I still think is probable (and we may find out in the next hour or so where)

Faversham is sitting at 36.4oC...very close

Posted

You can't even see the sun in that pic. Can knock off 4-5c off the potential if it stays like that. Even if it clears soon, the window is getting smaller for it to rise again.

Edited by matty007