Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Honestly I think its quite probable the channel cells will do the exact same thing the current cells have done, decayed as they move in towards the N.channel, especially on the eastern flanks as the air is still fairly capped over the SE and hence why everything is decaying as it moves in. At some point the forcing will over take that, and even IF these cells decay, can't rule out them blowing up at peak heating again close to London (likely just to the north).

Still very much on target, and I'm about an hour upwind from Heathrow and still high levels of sunshine coming in.

Also remember MAX temp in 2003 was reached relatively early, I believe for W.London it was something like 2-3pm.

FYI, the cap has been broken, seemingly, off the North Norfolk coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
4 minutes ago, SouthLondonCold said:

Yep Cambridge is further from the cloud than London so the record could be broken there?

Doubtful. Maximums are very rarely set here. The hotest upper air is in the London/Kent area and it still looks fairly likely the sunshine will be copious until after 3pm.

Very very likely the record will be set in Heathrow or close by. Cambridge is often 2-3c cooler than those aforementioned areas.

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, matty007 said:

33.9c at 12:04

cam.thumb.png.d119b8e4963f70cf5c00e8d16d9579d8.png

That isn’t the official Cambridge station though, that’s just the university one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

Doubtful. Maximums are very rarely set here. The hotest upper air is in the London/Kent area and it still looks fairly likely the sunshine will be copious until after 3pm.

Very very likely the record will be set in Heathrow or close by. Cambridge is often 2-3c cooler than those aforementioned areas.

Cambridge is the hottest place in the UK at the moment. Probably will be higher than London. There was a region near there modeled at 41.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Interesting that - I think I'm right - Heathrow did not increase on 33C between 11am and 12pm. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Interesting that - I think I'm right - Heathrow did not increase on 33C between 11am and 12pm. 

Upto 33.7c, not sure why it would have slowed down though, especially as I'm upto 32.5c now and we nearly always hang back 2c lower than Heathrow.

Still, Bedford upto 34.3c and closing in on our first target of the July record.

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

Cambridge is the hottest place in the UK at the moment. Probably will be higher than London. There was a region near there modeled at 41.

We'll see, but I seriosuly doubt the record will be set here. Nigh on impossible to set 38+c here. It's too north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Arpege had 40c around here/Peterborough yesterday....who knows. It’s 50 miles further north than London, and if it’s already hottest, then there’s every chance it could go here if the cloud is slower to arrive.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 1

Posted

Sometimes the Heathrow station is slow to update, or lags. Wouldn't worry about it.

Posted

Interestingly local PWS also agree with that 33.7c rough value, there is an area of 34-35c just to the north which I'm guessing is what Northolt is showing at the moment, but that 33.7c look pretty on the nose to me when comparing to personal stations in the region.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Arpege had 40c around here/Peterborough yesterday....who knows. It’s 50 miles further north than London, and if it’s already hottest, then there’s every chance it could go here.

Yeah, definitely. I reckon that area will break the all time record today. I don't think it's too far north in this set up

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Yeah, definitely. I reckon that area will break the all time record today. I don't think it's too far north in this set up

Given that East Anglia was (IIRC) the hottest area yesterday, it could be the hottest again today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

While everyone is enjoying 35°C, I haven't managed to make 30°C yet this year. That's the first time in 4 years.

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

Yeah, definitely. I reckon that area will break the all time record today. I don't think it's too far north in this set upfor

I disagree. How many times has a maximum tempreture been set here? I live near here and can hardly recall one.

People are getting maximums confused with potential maxima. Sure, if Heathrow area clouds over and Cambridge remains sunny, it will record higher than Heathrow. However, Heathrow in sunny conditions has potential for the hottest tempreture achievable in the Uk due to latitude and postion.

If both areas are sunny, heathrow will win over Cambridge everytime. It is further south and has higher upper air off the contintent.

I think it's technically impossible to break 38c in the Cambridge area with current global warming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

cambridges 35c makes it the hottest july 25th n record...

lol.... thats one record down... 2 more to go!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

While everyone is enjoying 35°C, I haven't managed to make 30°C yet this year. That's the first time in 4 years.

You'll no doubt be aware by now that some of us aren't enjoying it as such, though I am getting caught-up in the excitement of trying to understand which station will break the July temperature record and then, possibly, the all-time mark.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, matty007 said:

I disagree. How many times has a maximum tempreture been set here? I live near here and can hardly recall one.

People are getting maximums confused with potential maxima. Sure, if Heathrow area clouds over and Cambridge remains sunny, it will record higher than Heathrow. However, Heathrow in sunny conditions has potential for the hottest tempreture achievable in the Uk due to latitude and postion.

If both areas are sunny, heathrow will win over Cambridge everytime. It is further south and has higher upper air off the contintent.

I think it's technically impossible to break 38c in the Cambridge area with current global warming.

But that's what we are taking into consideration. Cloud heading towards London in the next 1-2hr but Cambridge remains clear, thus, higher temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 minute ago, matty007 said:

eh.... whyever not?... thats a strange thing to say..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

David Gower says mid 30's at Lords, there looks to be no cloud there any time soon so should be the record.