Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Just goes to show how different we are in preferences, as, for me, that month was one of the worst summer months I can recall.  Cloudy, warm and dry; the British countryside turned brown then grey.  I'd never seen grass and wild vegetation in field margins, beneath hedges and on verges go grey before, but they did around here.  It felt as though everything was dying around me, and it actually generated a sense of concern and sadness in me.  It was worse than any other summer I can recall in that regard - 1989, 1995, 2003 were dry and saw the countryside go brown, but last year was different and unpleasant.  I also found having the same conditions repeating for that length of time dreadfully monotonous.  One of the characteristics of our traditional climate I enjoyabove most others is its variability.  Last June was almost the same weather for all 30 days of the month,  IIRC.

Indeed. We're all diffrent and I don't knock others for their prefrences at all. June 2018 was amazingly sunny here, I hardly recall any cloud whatsoever. I also only recorded 0.2mm of rain all month. The weather was so usable and plans didn't have to be made around the typical unsettled British summer like most years. Virtually every single day of the 30 days was above 24c and endlessly sunny. It really was the perfect Summer month for me. I actually really enjoyed seeing the grass so brown, because it is so seldom and rare for this country.

Certianly, prefrences are a great thing and make us all different. That medicority you felt was totally opposite for me. Weather so settled and pleasant in the UK as June 2018 was is as rare as hen's teeth, and I loved every second of it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Heathrow at 33.1c

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Exactly. So 2 weeks of what summer fans wouldn't want and 6 weeks of what they would, imagine SW winds for first 2 weeks of Dec, NW winds for second, N'ly for first half of Jan and E'ly for last half of Jan - a stonker for me, thats the equivalent!

No I agree with that - that really would be a stonking winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, danm said:

Heathrow at 33.1

Heathrow was at 31.5c at 11am on August 10th 2003.

• Like 1

Posted

I can see the clouds to the south of Portsmouth now. No sign of thunder, and they don't look that impressive at the moment. But then they haven't reached me yet.

Just touched 30C here.

Posted

The max temp at Heathrow on August 10th 2003 was 37.3c, and it was 31.5c at 11am. Today it is 33.1 at 11am so 1.6c higher. If we apply this warming until 3pm today at the same rate as 2003, we would have a figure of 38.9c at heathrow.

Of course it's not an exact science, but should give us a ballpark figure.

Edited by matty007
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
35 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Agreed, just this week alone should bump summer 2019 up to 9/10. Record breaking temps (potentially) and widespread significance thunderstorms 2 days ago. 2019 will go down as one of the most memorable summers ever. 

Absolutely - this is classic stuff and almost certainly historic even if the all-time UK record doesn't go (which I think it will).  I'm afraid I've had my suspicions since last summer that heat enthusiasts are more demanding and less easily impressed than winter cold-lovers.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 1

Posted

I will also add that it got quite gusty at Heathrow after midday on August 10th 2003, with gusts of over 20kmh. That doesn't look the case today. And if I'm not mistaken, it got a little cloudy which tempered the temps a little.

If we assess it all, I think we're certianly surpassing the record at current warming levels with a provisonal figure around 39c. 40c certianly possible if the cloud stays away.

It's just a shame that Faversham and Gravesend are no longer counted, as they are a degree or two warmer.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Absolutely - this is classic stuff and almost certainly historic even if the all-time UK record doesn't go (which I think it will).  I'm afraid I've had my suspicions since last summer that heat enthusiasts are more demanding and less easily-impressed than winter cold-lovers.

Oh i don't know about that - I think we're just as bad as eachother. Have you seen the winter threads come winter time? I will admit though, its definitely harder to achieve deep cold in winter as opposed to heat in summer so i feel for them. Apart from when they come in here rejoicing at crap weather in the Summer to rub our noses in it for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I can see the clouds to the south of Portsmouth now. No sign of thunder, and they don't look that impressive at the moment. But then they haven't reached me yet.

Just touched 30C here.

Yeah I think there is actually probably not much there, the radar return may well be virga on the eastern end of the convective line. Whilst there certainly is cloud to the south, its not the type that particularly worries me.

Record still very much on IMO with multiple 32s and 33s. 2015 was hotter at this point, but it was around this time considerable mid level cloud came over for 2hrs or so and dropped the temperatures down.

Posted
14 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Indeed. We're all diffrent and I don't knock others for their prefrences at all. June 2018 was amazingly sunny here, I hardly recall any cloud whatsoever. I also only recorded 0.2mm of rain all month. The weather was so usable and plans didn't have to be made around the typical unsettled British summer like most years. Virtually every single day of the 30 days was above 24c and endlessly sunny. It really was the perfect Summer month for me. I actually really enjoyed seeing the grass so brown, because it is so seldom and rare for this country.

Certianly, prefrences are a great thing and make us all different. That medicority you felt was totally opposite for me. Weather so settled and pleasant in the UK as June 2018 was is as rare as hen's teeth, and I loved every second of it.

I agree it was handy to just go out somewhere and not have to think about taking waterproofs in case,. but, after a sunny May and early June, Norfolk and north Suffolk became hazy with high cloud and noticeably low air quality.  I suspect that, down in Saffron Walden, you possibly had more rain in May than we did up here, as it didn't just go brown here, but, as I said, things started to turn a strange shade of pale grey towards the end.  For that reason, the final fortnight of the drought was awful for someone like me - constant watering of plants to keep them alive (including running a hose on low all night to rescue a dying buddleia) and grass shattering (not just crunching) when you walked or drove a wheelchair over it. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, matty007 said:

The max temp at Heathrow on August 10th 2003 was 37.3c, and it was 31.5c at 11am. Today it is 33.1 at 11am so 1.6c higher. If we apply this warming until 3pm today at the same rate as 2003, we would have a figure of 38.9c at heathrow.

Of course it's not an exact science, but should give us a ballpark figure.

Yeah, 39c is the ballpark and is about what I'd expect. We could go as high as 40c IF we get lucky with cloud cover by 4pm, could be unlucky and not quite make the record if cloud cover comes in in a big way from France...but right now not seeing enough of that to make me think that its going to be enough to stop any record attempt.

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah I think there is actually probably not much there, the radar return may well be virga on the eastern end of the convective line. Whilst there certainly is cloud to the south, its not the type that particularly worries me.

Record still very much on IMO with multiple 32s and 33s. 2015 was hotter at this point, but it was around this time considerable mid level cloud came over for 2hrs or so and dropped the temperatures down.

Yes clouds are here but nothing much going on, I can see blue skies the other side. I doubt it will rain.

But quite a lot of other activity in the channel already.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Oh i don't know about that - I think we're just as bad as eachother. Have you seen the winter threads come winter time? I will admit though, its definitely harder to achieve deep cold in winter as opposed to heat in summer so i feel for them. Apart from when they come in here rejoicing at crap weather in the Summer to rub our noses in it for whatever reason.

I agree there are some coldies who aren't happy uless there are 10 foot drifts and umpteen consecutive ice days, but most are aware that their preference is increasingly rare.

Posted

Cambridge at 32.2c

1769363620_cambridge1130.thumb.png.50e6b91639436a3953b8452da7f03787.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Leeds Uni weather station is fast approaching 30°C. Gotta go to an outdoor carpark next, the car is lovely and I don't wanna leave it.

Posted

There is rain coming over, but it's fairly benign and seems to be tracking westwards. Cloud is completely unconcering currently.

1064624674_rain1130.thumb.png.cbf1bc4f2b6f674d8b33749f57a3a941.png2051011172_cloud1130.thumb.png.62dc30e65db8c26d36f420eba4ea14ac.png

Posted

Latest UKV takes those showers/storms northeast fairly speedily, allowing heat to continue to build in the SE this afternoon. It's going to be a close one in terms of the record I think. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, DAVID SNOW said:

Bought a lightning rod(just in case) and have it strapped to the back of my head.

Stay safe everyone.

Whats a lightening rod and how does it work, does it make lightening more likely?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Yes clouds are here but nothing much going on, I can see blue skies the other side. I doubt it will rain.

But quite a lot of other activity in the channel already.

Yeah, we do need to keep an eye on that second line firing up, though I again suspect the eastern side of the system will get starved and suppressed by the cap so any storms are going to be firing westwards as they come into land, just like the previous line has done. 

Though a higher risk with this set that the cap may get broken as the area moves in, especially given temperature by that point of 35-37c will be in place.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul said:

Latest UKV takes those showers/storms northeast fairly speedily, allowing heat to continue to build in the SE this afternoon. It's going to be a close one in terms of the record I think. 

Calling it now...39.2c at Heathrow.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Measurer said:

This is someone's weather site in Harrow, I find it is reasonably accurate when compared to Northolt's.

http://www.hillviewweather.co.uk/wxindex.php

It's about 0.5c too high in my experience. So around 34c currently.

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Whats a lightening rod and how does it work, does it make lightening more likely?

Will let you know via a Ouija board if all goes to plan.

• Like 1