Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

There are very few times we have heatwaves like the current one.

Cool showers or baths are quite cheap even with a water meter.  There are some nifty table-top air coolers that  use evaporation to cool the room.  They use little electricity and you need to keep the water reservoir topped-up.  Look on Ebay or Amazon, plenty of them at various prices.

You’re wasting your time. I’ve found that people are quite happy to spend hours on here moaning about brief periods of heat but do sod all to mitigate the effects on them/their homes. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Already warming up nicely in the London zone and East Anglia, quite a few 28-29c recordings.

However I doubt we will go as high as the met office think today, looks like a 31-33c max type day. Tomorrow still looking to extreme

Yes heating up nicely in the SE. Feels as hot as it did yesterday and with temps already approaching 30c before midday looks likely we could get 33c/34c somewhere. 

B4C98C3F-6128-4870-A924-DDC4646465E2.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

What's extraordinary about tomorrow is the margin by which the July record is likely to be broken: perhaps 2-3C.

Previous records:

1911 Epsom 36C

2006 Wisley 36.5C

2015 Heathrow 36.7C

2019 ... 39C?

Moreover, it could have been matched just a couple of weeks ago if not for the surface profile (the 850s were, if anything, a little higher).

I understand the excitement (and certainly don't begrudge it), but it all seems a bit ominous to me. This is not remotely normal.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Can you imagine if it made it to 38.4°C?

Even worse would be 38.5c. We need 38.6c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
27 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

I don’t get why some people say ‘the hotter the better’. Seriously in this country where houses are not designed for the heat and most of us can’t afford lucrative air conditioning!

Bring me 27-28c anytime in the summer but not the crazy 31c+!!

Air conditioning isn’t that expensive anymore. Cheaper options are available that very successfully cool down a chosen room. Mobile units work well (my friend has one from Argos, cost £300, bedroom is like an ice box and it’s a big room in an old, hot house). 

Posted

London City Airport at 30c as of 11.20am

A0A87C25-D76F-4E41-8A0C-E50A0C666A2C.jpeg

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

No it wasn't - look at the CET for the month, it came out near average and you can almost guarantee that the south east would have been slightly above to offset areas in northern England over the 30 day period, the opening couple of days and the last 5 days or so were pleasantly warm or are you going to say that wasn't so?...

I like how you select 6 days from June, and ignore the majority of days that were dismal, cloudy and quite cold at times. I remember days even in central London when the temp struggled to hit 16c. That’s poor for June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

I'm sure there are more scientific studies out there but suspect whether cold or hot temperatures kill more people is not so straightforward because of how cause of death is recorded.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44956310

For me the difference is if you are cold you can make efforts to warm yourself up (accepting of course the elderly sometimes can't or don't to this and develop hypothermia) whereas in extremely hot temperatures it is very difficult to get away from intense overbearing temperatures - not everyone has aircon and the elderly and infirm cannot always take showers.  

It is preference and it would not do for us all to be the same I guess.  My moan is - I hate this heat intensely and simply cannot wait for it "to do one".  Not only does it affect my own health, I have an 87 year old mum to be concerned about and pets to try and keep cool, so no it doesn't suit everyone to be burnt to a crisp 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I like how you select 6 days from June, and ignore the majority of days that were dismal, cloudy and quite cold at times. I remember days even in central London when the temp struggled to hit 16c. That’s poor for June.

Yes but there were other days when maximum temperatures were not far from normal, I wonder how many days out of the 30 could actually be noted as 'cold' (4/5 degrees anomaly below max average)?...majority of those would have been in that poor working week of 10th-14th when we had that stationary low over the south and north east winds. CET bares out that London was not cold over the whole month, you can't argue against facts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
52 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I think people have been living in desert regions for thousands of years, a bit before air con.

Desert regions get remarkably cool at night, even in the summer. Huge sprawling concrete cities do not. That's the difference between 2019 and 10,000 BC.

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Yes obviously they built to mitigate the heat and 'we' built to mitigate the cool/cold/damp.

Off course the nomadic dessert people survived without architecture, excluding a tent

Nomadic people didn't have concrete buildings, you simply cannot acclimatise to 40 degree temps in a concrete jungle without air con.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Nomadic people didn't have concrete buildings, you simply cannot acclimatise to 40 degree temps in a concrete jungle without air con.

The human body can handle 40°C if you don't exert yourself.  Sweating is a very efficient means of dissipating body heat.  However what people don't realise is that the UK is very humid and hence sweat will less readily evaporate.  This means the body is less able to transfer heat to the air and overheating becomes a major concern.  In arid, windy environments, sweating is more than enough for most people to keep cool (especially combined with shade).

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

The human body can handle 40°C if you don't exert yourself.  Sweating is a very efficient means of dissipating body heat.  However what people don't realise is that the UK is very humid and hence sweat will less readily evaporate.  This means the body is less able to transfer heat to the air and overheating becomes a major concern.  In arid, windy environments, sweating is more than enough for most people to keep cool (especially combined with shade).

This is actually a misconception, a dry heat can be just as damaging to health as a humid heat because the lack of sweat in a dry climate can lead you into a false sense of security. You can succumb to heat stroke v. quickly. But of course humid heat leads to more rapid heat stroke.

The main point though, that a human body can survive 40 degrees is false. The body temp is 37.5 and therefore prolonged periods in 40 degrees will lead to hyperthermia. Heat energy transfers from the hot air to the cooler body until there is an equilibrium - it's just the laws of physics!

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

The human body will overheat in 40 degree temps, it's just that some will overheat faster than others. Extensive air con makes living in dessert regions possible, so nobody really acclimatises to these temps, its just that you're able to cool down as and when you please - and this is not possible in most UK homes. 

Last one from me, its a nice day.

You said extensive air con makes living in dessert regions possible, I stated the fact that for thousands of years people have survived in DESERT regions without air con.

Edited by DAVID SNOW

Posted

I think we will agree to disagree 

Temps into the 30s at midday in London.

Posted
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Agree or disagree with me is fine, the facts don't change though. Back to my pool now with some dessert.

"Ancient Egyptians kept cool by using, among other things,

• Mud brick walls to keep houses cool
  • Windows for cross draft
  • Vents in the roof to help air circulate
  • Matting for window shades
  • Damp reeds and water pots for evaporated water to cool the air
  • Roofs to sleep on at night
  • Simple, light clothing, but clothing was also dictated by fashion and status
  • A headrest at night to improve air-circulation round the head
  • A wet blanket to sleep in
  • Tree-lined paths"

Posted

Its disgusting out there at the moment, not so much the temperature of 26.4C but the dewpoint which is sitting at 21.1C.

A breeze has at least got up now, but I personally cant wait for it to cool down a bit. Inside its 27-28C despite doing all the advised things to keep it cool.

Posted
46 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes but there were other days when maximum temperatures were not far from normal, I wonder how many days out of the 30 could actually be noted as 'cold' (4/5 degrees anomaly below max average)?...majority of those would have been in that poor working week of 10th-14th when we had that stationary low over the south and north east winds. CET bares out that London was not cold over the whole month, you can't argue against facts.

Overall it was a cloudy and grey month. I will admit it was sunny at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

The good news is that tomorrow's forecast locally shows cloud forming in the afternoon a bit, so that should ameliorate temperatures somewhat. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Look at the forecast for Leeds tomorrow.. high 35C, low 22C, thunderstorms.. unbelievable. I have never seen such a high temperature forecast for here.

E82BD694-6F04-4421-AA7C-6550D147E7AB.png

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

Look at the forecast for Leeds tomorrow.. high 35C, low 22C, thunderstorms.. unbelievable. I have never seen such a high temperature forecast for here.

E82BD694-6F04-4421-AA7C-6550D147E7AB.png

I'm  sure Look Leeds will make sure we all know about it if Leeds reaches 35c though less so if it's anywhere else in Yorkshire ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Genuinely incredible forecast!!! BRING IT ON!!!

30F4A56E-615D-49CC-9F44-AF25AACD0765.jpeg

• Like 1