Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

Did the first targeted record go overnight/early morning, the highest minimum one? Or does the old Brighton one still have it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated heatwave alert

Current watch level: Level 3 - Heatwave Action

Issued at: 08:30 on Wed 24 Jul 2019

There is a 90 % probability of heat health criteria being met between 0900 on Monday and 0900 on Saturday in parts of England.

This Heat Health watch has been updated to extend the validity period, and adjust risks in-line with the latest forecast. Yorkshire and Humber is now also level 3. Parts of eastern England will see temperatures climbing above threshold values Wednesday, followed by a very warm and humid night. Thursday will then see some exceptional temperatures across a large swathe of the UK, potentially exceeding UK record values in places. Through Friday, less hot weather, alongside some thundery rain, is likely to make slow progress into western and central parts of England. However it now appears likely that the easternmost regions will retain temperatures above trigger criteria in places, and hence this warning has been extended until Saturday 0900. There remains the potential for parts of East Anglia and the Southeast to maintain temperatures above criteria on Saturday, however confidence is low at this stage. This will be reviewed again on Thursday and Friday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
21 minutes ago, Zesyph said:

This heat is ridiculous. Think I'll stay home tomorrow. High 30s and possible 40C is unbearable. Dread to think this will become more common in the future. Don't quite understand people celebrating 40C being breached. very dangerous being out and about in those temp. 

Well I think any sane person would know not to spend extended periods out in those kind of temperatures. There are hundreds of millions of people who live with these temperatures for months on end each year in desert regions. It’s just about being savvy.

Posted

I lived in Saudi when  I was a kid as my dad worked in construction - and going to school, shopping, playing out was normal in 38.c and although it took a few weeks, we completely acclimatised. Everywhere did have air-con though , even my bedroom and a lunchtime swim was compulsory. But i'm really dreading tomorrow. I'm sort of wondering if businesses without air con should think about closing in the afternoon as we're a country that isn't cut out for 39.c

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Well I think any sane person would know not to spend extended periods out in those kind of temperatures. There are hundreds of millions of people who live with these temperatures for months on end each year in desert regions. It’s just about being savvy.

Quite! Will the 'rat race' be suspended for the day I wonder.

Count me out tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
28 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

People still banging on about the 'cold' June - no it wasn't, we haven't had a cold summer month for yonks...and why does record breaking heat make up for June? almost as if some posters think they're owed something.

Your June might have good but here in Merseyside up in the radioactive badlands north of Watford, we endured   days on end with steel grey skies, heavy rain and maxina below 10C  On one day we only achieved a max of 8C!

There is a world outside the M25! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Also - I bet some of the people complaining about the record heat would gladly ramp things up if charts were showing -20c in January.....which is even more dangerous. It’s been proven that extreme cold causes more deaths than extreme heat. You just have to take a minute and plan things and it should be manageable.

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Well they have the facilities to deal with these types of conditions whereas most of us don't. 

Edited by Zesyph
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
51 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It was cold. Stop trying to deny it.

No it wasn't - look at the CET for the month, it came out near average and you can almost guarantee that the south east would have been slightly above to offset areas in northern England over the 30 day period, the opening couple of days and the last 5 days or so were pleasantly warm or are you going to say that wasn't so?...

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Zesyph said:

Well they have the facilities to deal with these types of conditions whereas most of us don't. 

Just mad dogs and Englishmen running around.

Posted
27 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Also - I bet some of the people complaining about the record heat would gladly ramp things up if charts were showing -20c in January.....which is even more dangerous. It’s been proven that extreme cold causes more deaths than extreme heat. You just have to take a minute and plan things and it should be manageable.

Too true.  The British winter annually culls thousands of the sick and/or elderly.  Ill-heated houses of those who have to choose between heating or eating.  Breathing in winter-cold air causes the blood to thicken which in cases of heart trouble (in my case congestive heart failure) can worsen the condition or even lead to a fatal heart attack.

Edit: it's vert easy to keep cool during heatwave;  run a cool (not cold) bath or go swimming.  Open water is free otherwise indoor pools often have concessions that reduce the normal admission charge. I have a membership for my local pools so my monthly DD covers for  unlimited swims. 

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
24 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Your June might have good but here in Merseyside up in the radioactive badlands north of Watford, we endured   days on end with steel grey skies, heavy rain and maxina below 10C  On one day we only achieved a max of 8C!

There is a world outside the M25! 

Never said it was good...just not 'cold', yes it was cool/cold in periods but other spells it was very warm certainly down here (at the start and towards the end), if it was continually cold further north or outside the M25 as you put it the CET wouldn't have come in close to average. Personally felt the month was refreshing in these days of global warming, it really is the first time we've had such a summer month since 2012, now it looks like normal service has been resumed.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

9 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Never said it was good...just not 'cold', yes it was cool/cold in periods but other spells it was very warm certainly down here (at the start and towards the end), if it was continually cold further north or outside the M25 as you put it the CET wouldn't have come in close to average. Personally felt the month was refreshing in these days of global warming, it really is the first time we've had such a summer month since 2012, now it looks like normal service has been resumed.

Here in Yorkshire the first two thirds were abysmal. It rained on about two thirds of days (9 consecutively) and as per the CET we were running pretty cool.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
43 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

I lived in Saudi when  I was a kid as my dad worked in construction - and going to school, shopping, playing out was normal in 38.c and although it took a few weeks, we completely acclimatised. Everywhere did have air-con though , even my bedroom and a lunchtime swim was compulsory. 

The human body will overheat in 40 degree temps, it's just that some will overheat faster than others. Extensive air con makes living in dessert regions possible, so nobody really acclimatises to these temps, its just that you're able to cool down as and when you please - and this is not possible in most UK homes. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

27c’s and 28c’s already being recorded down here in the SE this morning just after 10am. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

I don’t get why some people say ‘the hotter the better’. Seriously in this country where houses are not designed for the heat and most of us can’t afford lucrative air conditioning!

Bring me 27-28c anytime in the summer but not the crazy 31c+!!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
8 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

I don’t get why some people say ‘the hotter the better’. Seriously in this country where houses are not designed for the heat and most of us can’t afford lucrative air conditioning!

Bring me 27-28c anytime in the summer but not the crazy 31c+!!

You don't get someone else's opinion, by giving an example to support your own opinion? Isn't it then just about preference? 

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

The human body will overheat in 40 degree temps, it's just that some will overheat faster than others. Extensive air con makes living in dessert regions possible, so nobody really acclimatises to these temps, its just that you're able to cool down as and when you please - and this is not possible in most UK homes. 

I think people have been living in desert regions for thousands of years, a bit before air con.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

There are very few times we have heatwaves like the current one.

Cool showers or baths are quite cheap even with a water meter.  There are some nifty table-top air coolers that  use evaporation to cool the room.  They use little electricity and you need to keep the water reservoir topped-up.  Look on Ebay or Amazon, plenty of them at various prices.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I think people have been living in desert regions for thousands of years, a bit before air con.

High ceilings in buildings.... heat rises up with cooler air below at ground level. Lot of architecture was built like that. In the UK we dont really have homes of that nature.  

• Like 3

Posted

Already warming up nicely in the London zone and East Anglia, quite a few 28-29c recordings.

However I doubt we will go as high as the met office think today, looks like a 31-33c max type day. Tomorrow still looking to extreme

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

People still banging on about the 'cold' June - no it wasn't, we haven't had a cold summer month for yonks...and why does record breaking heat make up for June? almost as if some posters think they're owed something.

Ok, the month as a whole wasn’t cold in London (definitely not the case in many other places, though) but there was a significant portion of it that was pretty awful. Many people I know had their heating on for up to 10 consecutive days, and that’s near Heathrow, normally one of the UK warmest areas. The rest of summer up until this hot few days has been pretty average and boring, if usable.

I’m certainly not ‘banging on’ about anything and don’t feel owed something at all. It’s nice to see some exciting weather for once, part of being a weather enthusiast. Isn’t that why we’re all on here?!

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Zesyph said:

High ceilings in buildings.... heat rises up with cooler air below at ground level. Lot of architecture was built like that. In the UK we dont really have homes of that nature.  

Yes obviously they built to mitigate the heat and 'we' built to mitigate the cool/cold/damp.

Off course the nomadic dessert people survived without architecture, excluding a tent