Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
8 hours ago, NTC said:

It certainly been a weird summer I barely used the fan this year and still under duvet, no days yet of going to work in shorts and t-shirt and having to change at work into shirt and tie. Maybe this is the week when the usual humid air brings that all on.

It’s been quite warm and humid in London for the last week or so, with several warmish nights, but nothing uncomfortable which is unusual as we reach late July. 

Posted

So the usual cloudy weekends will give way to warm and sunny weekdays when we have to be stuck at work, only to go cloudy and cooler again at the next weekend ,  rinse and repeat, and the storms are forecast to pass through  here  early Wednesday morning (if we even get them) just as I drive to work ,so cant appreciate them. Although I guessed that would be what happens.   

Listen here you storms ! , if you are going to come at awkward times dont even bother :nonono::oldlaugh:

I give up 

Posted

We finally reached 30C here last summer after a 17 year wait. Only one single day has reached above 31.0C in 40 years of records and that was 3rd August 1990.

Today the GFS has shown 31-33C for us on Thursday depending on the run, so its definitely looking notable. We've never had a min above 20C either so that's something else to look out for.

I cant say I'm looking forward to it but at least it'll be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
3 minutes ago, reef said:

We finally reached 30C here last summer after a 17 year wait. Only one single day has reached above 31.0C in 40 years of records and that was 3rd August 1990.

Today the GFS has shown 31-33C for us on Thursday depending on the run, so its definitely looking notable. We've never had a min above 20C either so that's something else to look out for.

I cant say I'm looking forward to it but at least it'll be interesting.

Had it been that long? I'm pretty sure I remember a day in late June 2011 where it got above 30C here  (in Hull though)

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry summers with big thunderstorms.

This summer started off wet and cool but July has been dry and mostly warm/sunny here in Essex bar Thursday and a Friday last week. Average max is 23c here currently for July.

Moving onto this week, I still can’t understand why there is a reluctance for Met Office and BBC to discuss potential of some very high temps. Models now firming up on mid to upper 30s - yet both saying 33-34c, maybe they will be right but they have been burnt quite a few times in last few years - 1st July 2015 comes to mind! I understand they need to exercise a little caution. Then there is that EURO4 model that met office uses for automated temps - only 30c in Chelmsford according to met office whereas models (even GFS saying 36c for Thursday here!).

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Had it been that long? I'm pretty sure I remember a day in late June 2011 where it got above 30C here  (in Hull though)

We reached 29.7C that day, it's usually a bit warmer in the city.

• Like 1

Posted

in all fairness the latest 12z Ukv and ECM both show 37-38c which would both break records. Icon, GEM and GFS also broadly in the same ballpark as well.

As said in model thread, Skew T from the SE in the last plume we're suggestive of 40-42c at surface had we not had huge bad luck of pulling in a north sea surface flows. Whilst the setup is marginally less extreme this time, the only limiting factor maybe any Shower activity lingering into the late morning of Weds. 

of course it is only a small adjustment away from not happening still, but Tuesday heat is locked now.

• Like 1

Posted

This week is going to test my love of warm weather. My house isn’t air conditioned, my car’s air conditioning is broken and my office isn’t air conditioned either. Gonna be rough.

Posted

Well he would have seen all the latest output also? But 35 is his number from current data, perhaps he is using model/human input combination.

Posted
5 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Well he would have seen all the latest output also? But 35 is his number from current data, perhaps he is using model/human input combination.

You can literally see the output yourself, it's on the model thread, or there are several other model sites that show it...but both the UKV and ECM are in that 36-38c range for sure on their latest output.

PS, worth noting it does have 35c for London, but this setup favours N Kent for highest temps, not London, hence why we see 36-38c on the models to the east of London.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
10 hours ago, NTC said:

I don't I hate it I want the aircon on at work all year round currently in a battle with two women who are never hot and won't have it on in any temperature, I am a cold person never liked the heat I would prefer upper teen temps all year round so believe me this isn't for me.

All year round seems a little extreme.

I’m a guy but I really feel the cold and it irritates me no end when people stick the air con on when the outside temperature is below 10 degrees.

i’m very slight and it also annoys me when they tell me to suck it up and put some weight on. Would be considered bad form I’m sure if I told them to hit the gym and lose some weight and then they wouldn’t feel so hot and sweaty all the time.

people are weird. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

All year round seems a little extreme.

I’m a guy but I really feel the cold and it irritates me no end when people stick the air con on when the outside temperature is below 10 degrees.

i’m very slight and it also annoys me when they tell me to suck it up and put some weight on. Would be considered bad form I’m sure if I told them to hit the gym and lose some weight and then they wouldn’t feel so hot and sweaty all the time.

people are weird. 

Aye agree, I get hot easily mainly at night, I'm 124 lbs, just about average weight

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye agree, I get hot easily mainly at night, I'm 124 lbs, just about average weight

I get roasting hot at night too I’m very strange. Freezing in the day but as soon as I try to sleep I get boiling hot. Go figure.

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

You can literally see the output yourself, it's on the model thread, or there are several other model sites that show it...but both the UKV and ECM are in that 36-38c range for sure on their latest output.

Yes seen them all and so has Tomasz S presumably......

Posted
4 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Yes seen them all and so has Tomasz S presumably......

Regardless of how extreme things get, even 35c is fairly exceptional and will make this noteworthy.

However this plume is probably a little hotter than the 2003 one (though not as crazy as the June plume!) so that should give a rough guide of what is at least possible.

Going to be a hot week for the SE, and a hot Mon/Tues for many!

Posted

Interesting both the BBC and Met Office websites not showing 30c or more for Doncaster any day this week which contradicts what is being stated on this forum.

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Regardless of how extreme things get, even 35c is fairly exceptional and will make this noteworthy.

However this plume is probably a little hotter than the 2003 one (though not as crazy as the June plume!) so that should give a rough guide of what is at least possible.

Going to be a hot week for the SE, and a hot Mon/Tues for many!

Agreed, so what's your take on him only going with 35c and not even mentioning the 'chance' of something extreme? IE 37to41c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It's going to need a lot of luck, but the fact that is possible within the model guidance is noteworthy in itself, especially at just four days away.

35C is a reasonable marker for Thursday at this point, with reference to the current July record (Hint Hint). No need for anything more until probably Tuesday when we know how the overnight storms will pan out.

Wednesday will be a good marker, if we can reach the same values as Tuesday then I think we have a real chance. Also there isn't a cast iron guarantee that the spell will end Thursday night with a minority cluster keeping the heat hanging on in the east at least.

So guesses for Thursday;

Things do not align perfectly (most likely scenario) - 36C at Heathrow

Everything falls perfectly - Possibly 39C at Gravesend or another station in the North Kent area.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, DAVID SNOW said:

Agreed, so what's your take on him only going with 35c and not even mentioning the 'chance' of something extreme? IE 37to41c

I'd say it makes sense to hold back on the real extreme numbers as it would only need a 50-75 mile shift east and those temps are gone, and that's plenty possible at this stage still.

However I'd still count 35 as pretty extreme, even if it does feel like it's getting more common over the past 5 years.

Posted

I can imagine how people in the US feel like when there’s a hurricane due. It feels a bit surreal right now feeling quite cool knowing that in a few days I’ll be sat here with all the fans going sweating my ass off lol . Roll on Friday 

FWIW I think max temp will be 35oC due to cloud cover etc. Still gonna be hot! 

Edited by CanadianCoops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah it’s the usual fatty response. Let’s be honest lol. 

Plus, what weirdo needs air con on around 10c? lol. Air con isn’t needed until the temp exceeds 15c, and even then I just open a window for air. Air con really isn’t something I need until we hit the 24c mark.

I know unreal, heating on more like at 10C, air con, wish it existed here, needed for 30 degrees plus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Really, windchill is really any temperature what makes you evaporate your sweat etc of your skin, and makes you feel cooler or cold,..try having a hot shower then open the door to the landing believe me it feels cold. That rush off the cold landing is quite refreshing! 

Brought this in here as to not derail the model thread.

In meteorology, windchill is used only when the temperature is 10°C or below with a wind speed of at least 3mph.
Windchill would not create warmer temperatures. Heat index is used when the temperature exceeds a certain threshold (possibly 28°C) and taking humidity on board.

When the temperature is in between that and 10°C, the Met Office combine both of those formulae to give a 'feels like' temperature.