Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
10 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

The grass is really starting to go brown now, round here...What peculiar weather we are having: if it ain't piddling-down with rain 24/7, it's as dry as a bone, for weeks on end...?

Never seen so much grass and growth here in all my life,unsuprising after the wettest june or month in living memory,then a 3 week warm dry spell,some rain inbetween especially one night last week.

This summer is a one of a kind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

The last 27 days in Dublin have had nine 20oc+ days and no 25oc+ days so its a cracking last month for our location . I really do dream of a temperature over 25oc as we might get it once or twice a year . southern England to me always gets a perfect summer even in average years and can see no need to ever grumble..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

At least the ladies look fit in this current weather. Loads of joggers and ladies wearing yoga pants. Perhaps the warmer summers have encouraged more people to exercise, or were there always people working out back in the 70s and 80s when the summers were cold and horrible? Lol

As another poster noted people were much more active back then, ate more whole foods instead of processed junk, more people walked everywhere instead of using a car so there was no need to go the gym, the only people who did was those who wanted to build serious muscle - Arnold Schwarzenegger made it more trendy in the 80s.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Interesting, how does that compare to the same period last year?

Rainfall:

16th June - 17th July 2018: 10.6mm (18%)
16th June - 17th July 2019: 16.4mm (28%)

Temps:

16th June - 17th July 2018: 17.0C (+1.5C)
16th June - 17th July 2019: 15.4C (-0.1C)

Sunshine:

16th June - 17th July 2018: 334hrs (165%)
16th June - 17th July 2019: 216hrs (106%)

Its been a decent period, though 2018 was so exceptional it doesn't feel that way. The mean temp for 2019 is deceiving aswell, as the mean max has been above average but balanced out by cooler nights.

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

Posted

All eyes on ECM and UKMO for the next two days, GFS , ICON , and the rest best ignored, the top two are not often wrong when they get Into 120hrs range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
13 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

The grass is really starting to go brown now, round here...What peculiar weather we are having: if it ain't piddling-down with rain 24/7, it's as dry as a bone, for weeks on end...?

Indeed.  I was in you area earlier and it's getting almost as bad as last year in terms of the dryness of the vegetation.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Never seen so much grass and growth here in all my life,unsuprising after the wettest june or month in living memory,then a 3 week warm dry spell,some rain inbetween especially one night last week.

This summer is a one of a kind.

Yeah, it was quite damp and rainy this morning in west London. Also damp in the city district, where I work. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning issued for south Wales tomorrow morning between 5am and 10am for heavy rain

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-07-19&id=50d63d38-cc3b-4a8a-88fb-a990c2474529&details

Posted
On 16/07/2019 at 18:44, hillbilly said:

Where in Yorkshire are you? Although its been very pleasant here this afternoon we got 21 deg,quite a way from your figure and the warmest place in the North is almost always Doncaster.

I'm in the Vale of York. (Foehn effects in right conditions?) The temperatures are for my garden. It benefits from facing about 30 degrees east of south and having a few degrees southerly/SE incline and a terrace that has french windows reflecting onto it so it can occasionally get too hot to stand on barefoot . Then add on a few surrounding houses and some large hedges, fruit trees, a great poplar and some lombardies that shield from wind and that allows heat to build nicely.  There might occasionally might be influence from a road close to the west that runs south and down at about 5 degrees that gets pretty hot on sunny days. You can tell from drier grass that my garden is warmer at the terrace end. My thermometer is about 15m from the terrace but fairly close to a small paved area at the side entrance to my garage, and the garage itself. I would have the thermometer further away but the unit would not send that far.  In the winter days and windy or grey summer days, my temperatures are fairly typical for a semi-urban area around here. But when it's calm and sunny in June,  I can get up to 3C warmer than typical of local weather stations, which explains why I was hotter than you.

(I have a new budget weather station to fit that will be going about 50m from the terrace and should be slightly higher so more open to wind. The gardens around us remain south-leaning and seem warm, though, so I'm guessing that will still give maybe a 2C premium on long sunny days in the middle of summer.)

It remains dry here. I have been cutting grass less than normal and noticed it's going brown again near the terrace. some neighbours' lawns seem to be getting browner again and they had not fully recovered from last year. We have some modest bouts of rain but it's been all at once with big gaps between. Our apples, plums and pears are all tiny so far this year, besides being low in number (Last year's small ones were very sweet so we hope that repeats).

We've had 3 days break 25C, now,  and 3 very close under. It's definitely slightly warmer than average for a couple of weeks through the day but still probably close to average at night.  No sleeping issues yet and only a couple of days with windows open. There's been some interestingly cool night temperatures logged elsewhere at Yorkshire stations, so some around here might still not be running above average for July.

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Am going to Blackpool for the weekend with my other half,unfortunately the wipers have packed up on the motor.What are my chances of seeing any rain  or is it too big an ask and have to borrow another car anyway? I am also aware it is illegal to drive with inoperable wipers in case anyone throws that in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
44 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Am going to Blackpool for the weekend with my other half,unfortunately the wipers have packed up on the motor.What are my chances of seeing any rain  or is it too big an ask and have to borrow another car anyway? I am also aware it is illegal to drive with inoperable wipers in case anyone throws that in.

You will see a lot of rain.

This reminds of the time I was driving back from a football match somewhere in torrential rain along a motorway when my windscreen wipers started to make a racket. One of the passengers in the back said, "You don't need them on anyway. At this speed, the air naturally clears the rain from the windscreen." So I'm turned them off.

Couldn't see a bloody thing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
33 minutes ago, cheese said:

31c now forecast for Tuesday.

And 20mm of thundery rain overnight if the GFS is believed at the 6z.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 hour ago, Yarmy said:

You will see a lot of rain.

This reminds of the time I was driving back from a football match somewhere in torrential rain along a motorway when my windscreen wipers started to make a racket. One of the passengers in the back said, "You don't need them on anyway. At this speed, the air naturally clears the rain from the windscreen." So I'm turned them off.

Couldn't see a bloody thing.

Driving in Germany in winter once on autobahn. Heavy snow and drivers side wiper arm flew off onto the night. Was cold though and most snow blew away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
32 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

And 20mm of thundery rain overnight if the GFS is believed at the 6z.

Which would be about 15mm more than what we’ve had so far this month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

26th day in a row of 22°C or above. 1.6mm of rain fell this morning, ending my record dry streak of 22 days.

wareham-weather-heat-map.thumb.png.a749337c6b7414f599f138fecbe3df63.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
6 hours ago, hillbilly said:

image.thumb.png.a53c67bc1e79b27713d9ae0223d06764.png

Although it is not the most conventional of ideas.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Next week

Warm, settled start
Midweek thunderstorms
Turning cooler and more unsettled later

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/49040435

Going with the GFS operational and not the ridiculous ECM then.

Posted
8 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Going with the GFS operational and not the ridiculous ECM then.

No huge surprise the ECM Op has been at the extreme end for a couple of runs now low to maybe mid 30s in and around London and very warm spell for many at the start of next week all fairly normal for mid summer really.

What's that old saying again 2 hot day's and a thunderstorm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

No huge surprise the ECM Op has been at the extreme end for a couple of runs now low to maybe mid 30s in and around London and very warm spell for many at the start of next week all fairly normal for mid summer really.

What's that old saying again 2 hot day's and a thunderstorm?

a relief to many really I think, obvious it was true meaning of 'outlier' though, a word often overused on here

my guess for next week has been common over recent summers, Tue/Wed plume, 30+ on those 2 days, then fresher from the west on Thurs

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

a relief to many really I think, obvious it was true meaning of 'outlier' though, a word often overused on here

my guess for next week has been common over recent summers, Tue/Wed plume, 30+ on those 2 days, then fresher from the west on Thurs

Quite remarkable how many times we've had heat during the week then a breakdown for the weekend