Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
6 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Agreed.

Down here all very 'nice' and average bar 1 hot day, as you say some interesting weather much needed! No storms in may or June, as for July..so far not good, perhaps towards the end of the month and into August, the clock is ticking though.

Yeah I agree. I think by August 20th, the chance of thunderstorms and hot weather starts to decline. 

Posted
7 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Overnight min: 14C, max temp in my garden: 23C.  However the cloudfest continues with some brief sunny intervals in the afternoon but not enough to trigger the formation of thunderstorms.  I was looking forward to a thunderstorm but nothing.  Needless to say that dratted rain has just started.

This is what I’m noticing.

Its been warm, but the mornings are consistently dull and sometimes cool. It doesn’t have that summer feeling at times. The sun seems to come out mid afternoon then disappears again. It’s quite annoying.

Dry usable weather yes, great summer weather, no. Only one or two good weeks of sunshine so far, so it’s been mediocre in London. Plus, not a fan of this humidity.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
2019 180 (up to 10th July)
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Why is london missing the storms this summer? 

2017-18 were much better.

Not just London. Many are. Since the first week of June we’ve had zilch too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Just a lack of ingredients really....we’re now in peak summer storm season. The continent is getting towards its warmest, so the potential is there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Glorious start to the day here in London, plenty of warm sunshine and London City Airport is already registering 23c at 10.50am, Northolt at 22c. High of 26c forecast today. 

• Like 1

Posted

It’s sunnier now in london. 

I just have high expectations because I’m up at 5am and want clear sunny skies to start my day. Only one more month to go and I’ll be waking up in the dark.

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Just a lack of ingredients really....we’re now in peak summer storm season. The continent is getting towards its warmest, so the potential is there. 

I’m praying for a thundery second half of July or early August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Being right on the far South Coast I do feel quite lucky to be honest, we have had countless sunny and warm days. There has been the odd cloudier day at times but in general its been very pleasant. There has been 2 occasions where we have had a load of storms past way out to the East and one of them was good for visibility of the lightning. That's all there has been in terms of proper storm activity. I do feel for a lot of you that have suffered with the cloudier conditions  

As for the rest of the summer though, who knows where the rest could go. For storm and heat potential I feel that potential can still go right up until the end of September in some years, I've seen some of the best storms in September. I remember a couple, 2014 and 2008 stands out to me. I remember 2014 a fair few places had some quite awesome stuff.

There is still so much to play for with only just in the 2nd week of July  

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Stormyking said:

Being right on the far South Coast I do feel quite lucky to be honest, we have had countless sunny and warm days. There has been the odd cloudier day at times but in general its been very pleasant. There has been 2 occasions where we have had a load of storms past way out to the East and one of them was good for visibility of the lightning. That's all there has been in terms of proper storm activity. I do feel for a lot of you that have suffered with the cloudier conditions  

As for the rest of the summer though, who knows where the rest could go. For storm and heat potential I feel that potential can still go right up until the end of September in some years, I've seen some of the best storms in September. I remember a couple, 2014 and 2008 stands out to me. I remember 2014 a fair few places had some quite awesome stuff.

There is still so much to play for with only just in the 2nd week of July  

Yes there was a massive storm in mid September 2014 on a weeknight and another overnight storm in September 2016 after the mini hot spell.

Still plenty of time, around 2 months max. I do prefer it though when we have storms in the official part of summer, between late May and late August. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes there was a massive storm in mid September 2014 on a weeknight and another overnight storm in September 2016 after the mini hot spell.

Still plenty of time, around 2 months max. I do prefer it though when we have storms in the official part of summer, between late May and late August. 

Yeah that's right I certainly remember it was night time, I know I was in the channel islands (Guernsey) at the time and remember we had some beasty Morning stuff (Elevated), but am sure it was either later that night or the night before some real nasty storms crossed in a fair few places across the country (Can't fully remember which way around it was). 

I also agree with your second part as well, I tend to find storms from plume set ups May-July tend to look a lot more cleaner and they tend to be more drier I find too. Where August-September I find they have a lot lot more rain with them and just genuinely a lot more moisture with them.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Stormyking said:

Yeah that's right I certainly remember it was night time, I know I was in the channel islands (Guernsey) at the time and remember we had some beasty Morning stuff (Elevated), but am sure it was either later that night or the night before some real nasty storms crossed in a fair few places across the country (Can't fully remember which way around it was). 

I also agree with your second part as well, I tend to find storms from plume set ups May-July tend to look a lot more cleaner and they tend to be more drier I find too. Where August-September I find they have a lot lot more rain with them and just genuinely a lot more moisture with them.

Mid to late August of 1987 was very thundery. I remember those storms being quite severe. Friday night into Saturday. Hot spell of weather for one week and I think temps were hitting 29-30c that week. The storms arrived early into the evening around 8pm in London, then the storms moved in proper by 9. We had more overnight storms in the early hours.

Perhaps it’s too long ago, but those 1987 summer storms seem to stand out for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Mid to late August of 1987 was very thundery. I remember those storms being quite severe. Friday night into Saturday. Hot spell of weather for one week and I think temps were hitting 29-30c that week. The storms arrived early into the evening around 8pm in London, then the storms moved in proper by 9. We had more overnight storms in the early hours.

Perhaps it’s too long ago, but those 1987 summer storms seem to stand out for me.

Yes - they ended up washing out the Bi-centenial test match between MCC and Rest Of the World at Lords, remember travelling in my dads car and lightening was interrupting the football scores on the radio on a Saturday afternoon.

Posted
30 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes - they ended up washing out the Bi-centenial test match between MCC and Rest Of the World at Lords, remember travelling in my dads car and lightening was interrupting the football scores on the radio on a Saturday afternoon.

Yes, that was during Saturday afternoon between 1pm-3pm. We heard distant rumbling thunder and had rain. It was a cloudier day but still quite warm and humid. This was before the end of the summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Only two more dry days needed to beat my consecutive dry days record, which currently stands at 17 days, recorded back in January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

It’s been a cracking day in London - warm with lengthy sunny spells. Temperature topped out at 26c and it was still 24c at City Airport at 9pm. 

Posted
10 hours ago, Stormyking said:

I know what you mean. Maybe something to do with more moisture in the air and higher SSTs - or that could be rubbish. Having said that, 12th August 2012 gave a pretty dry lightning show here, as did the September 2014 storms on the 18th/19th, before the rain set in.

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I know what you mean. Maybe something to do with more moisture in the air and higher SSTs - or that could be rubbish. Having said that, 12th August 2012 gave a pretty dry lightning show here, as did the September 2014 storms on the 18th/19th, before the rain set in.

It might have something to do with that, i'm not to knowledgeable on SSTs to be honest haha. I do remember the September 2014 ones though and know your area and the Bristol got hit nicely, I remember a good friend of mine living in Bristol showing me through Facetime. 

I still feel something will happen through some point during August or September this year still

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stormyking said:

It might have something to do with that, i'm not to knowledgeable on SSTs to be honest haha. I do remember the September 2014 ones though and know your area and the Bristol got hit nicely, I remember a good friend of mine living in Bristol showing me through Facetime. 

I still feel something will happen through some point during August or September this year still

It was pretty special. Very similar to the ones in the same date that July, but actually a direct hit!

Fingers crossed going forward. August and September have the potential to be the best months for storms. Indeed August and May are my most thundery months. Sadly the Atlantic takes over too much by September to benefit from humid unstable air masses.

• Like 1