Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

Nobody from Scotland having a moan? -0.4C at Altnaharra (81m) this morning. I suspect Aboyne or Tulloch Bridge might have come close to frost last Wednesday but they were offline. Recent days here have been nice - mostly bright and sunny and 20-22C but there have been numerous cool nights with windows closed. I've had the heating on low in the car a few times. It's been great for cycling but not for alfresco dinner and drinks in the evening so I wouldn't mind just a little hot weather to say we've had a proper taste of summer at some point. My top 4 are only 26.5C (held down by all-day drizzle day before?) , 24.9C, 24.7C and 24.5C, which is nice but most days have only been warm a few hours in the middle of the day apart from "heatwave" day. I got the paddling pool out for the kids at 26.5C but it's only been used that afternoon. And it's been a lot colder at night further north. I thought some Scots might have been letting us know about it, although I see we have had a couple of moans from the Northeast.

Minimum Temperature Last 24h - 07/08/2019 at 16:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1Altnaharra (United Kingdom)03044-0.4°C

2Loch Glascarnoch (United Kingdom)030311.4°C

3Cairngorm (United Kingdom)030651.8°C

4Redesdale (United Kingdom)032301.8°C

5Tain Range (United Kingdom)030621.9°C

6Aboyne (United Kingdom)030802.4°C

7Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom)031622.8°C

8Aviemore (United Kingdom)030633°C

9Shap (United Kingdom)032253.6°C

10Charterhall (United Kingdom)031583.7°C

11Aonach Mor (United Kingdom)030413.8°C

12Sennybridge (United Kingdom)035073.8°C

13Strathallan (United Kingdom)031443.9°C

14Cairnwell (United Kingdom)030724°C

15Albemarle (United Kingdom)032384.4°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Posted
2 hours ago, Aleman said:

Nobody from Scotland having a moan? -0.4C at Altnaharra (81m) this morning. I suspect Aboyne or Tulloch Bridge might have come close to frost last Wednesday but they were offline. Recent days here have been nice - mostly bright and sunny and 20-22C but there have been numerous cool nights with windows closed. I've had the heating on low in the car a few times. It's been great for cycling but not for alfresco dinner and drinks in the evening so I wouldn't mind just a little hot weather to say we've had a proper taste of summer at some point. My top 4 are only 26.5C (held down by all-day drizzle day before?) , 24.9C, 24.7C and 24.5C, which is nice but most days have only been warm a few hours in the middle of the day apart from "heatwave" day. I got the paddling pool out for the kids at 26.5C but it's only been used that afternoon. And it's been a lot colder at night further north. I thought some Scots might have been letting us know about it, although I see we have had a couple of moans from the Northeast.

Minimum Temperature Last 24h - 07/08/2019 at 16:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1Altnaharra (United Kingdom)03044-0.4°C

2Loch Glascarnoch (United Kingdom)030311.4°C

3Cairngorm (United Kingdom)030651.8°C

4Redesdale (United Kingdom)032301.8°C

5Tain Range (United Kingdom)030621.9°C

6Aboyne (United Kingdom)030802.4°C

7Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom)031622.8°C

8Aviemore (United Kingdom)030633°C

9Shap (United Kingdom)032253.6°C

10Charterhall (United Kingdom)031583.7°C

11Aonach Mor (United Kingdom)030413.8°C

12Sennybridge (United Kingdom)035073.8°C

13Strathallan (United Kingdom)031443.9°C

14Cairnwell (United Kingdom)030724°C

15Albemarle (United Kingdom)032384.4°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Notable chill then, in many a year many a night in January is milder.

Posted
29 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Notable chill then, in many a year many a night in January is milder.

Even here close to the coast it dropped to 7.0C overnight - that's only 0.4C above our record lowest July minima.

Posted

Still all looking very average with some warm days(south), not a great deal to get excited about unfortunately(imo) , certainly no explosive short lived southerly blast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Becoming warmer this week with some heavy showers for some

Next week

Dry and Sunny start
Turning wetter across the north
Very little rain in the south

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/48913527

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
2019 182 (up to 8th July)
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194 

Posted

Am I the only one who is content with this summer weather? Not too hot, not too cool - just decent. 

I think August will be wet and miserable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
20 minutes ago, nn2013 said:

Am I the only one who is content with this summer weather? Not too hot, not too cool - just decent. 

Living just down the road from you, I concur. It’s nothing special, but is at least summery and usable.

If we keep a sluggish Atlantic and the Azores cooperates for once, August could be very decent indeed. I suspect it might deteriorate as it goes on.

Then there is the awakening hurricane season to factor in...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
20 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That was  another terrible one i admit but indices mean nothing to me, you could have an off the scale -A0 / NAO but unless it delivers the white stuff then its useless.

Aren't the Manchester indices based on meteorolgical conditions though, with no link to circulation indices? 

If I recall isn't the summer index based on sunshine, maxima and days of rain whilst winter is based on frost and snow days?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Aren't the Manchester indices based on meteorolgical conditions though, with no link to circulation indices? 

If I recall isn't the summer index based on sunshine, maxima and days of rain whilst winter is based on frost and snow days?

Yes, just comparing though, i know what it was like in that winter, and it was similar IN TERMS OF SNOWFALL to 2013-14 here - of course baring in mind this location is 500 feet higher than where i was in 2008-09.

In my opinion, falling and lying snow is the only stat that matters in winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

July is running some 4c below normal here..and today is another cloudy day with a cold northerly breeze..have only managed to struggle to get above 21c twice since June 18th

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Dreary weather in Prague. Maximum temperatures of 18C for the last few days with lots of cloud and a chilly NW’ly breeze. Yawn.        

Posted
8 hours ago, nn2013 said:

I think the current summer weather is absolutely fine where I am.  Dry and sunny without being too hot and humid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
7 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes, just comparing though, i know what it was like in that winter, and it was similar IN TERMS OF SNOWFALL to 2013-14 here - of course baring in mind this location is 500 feet higher than where i was in 2008-09.

In my opinion, falling and lying snow is the only stat that matters in winter.

Salford's usually rubbish for snow - only about 30m asl but most importantly it's really built up & close to the city centre which would give it a pronounced UHI effect, evaporative cooling takes longer there narrowing the window for falling & settling snow. It takes something special to get a proper covering there but the following Winter it did & even delivered heavily right at the coast - that's when you know things are synoptically great.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Salford's usually rubbish for snow - only about 30m asl but most importantly it's really built up & close to the city centre which would give it a pronounced UHI effect, evaporative cooling takes longer there narrowing the window for falling & settling snow. It takes something special to get a proper covering there but the following Winter it did & even delivered heavily right at the coast - that's when you know things are synoptically great.

Yes - 5th jan overnight - yes - generally its garbage because that same winter around 19th December saturday 2009, i was absolutely distraught, everywhere else was getting snow and we had rain, following on from massive dumpings in feb 09 everywhere within 3 miles and jack in Salford, i was beginning to really think i was cursed but then decent throughout the rest of that winter then managed to cobble together some money to move here for 2010-11 and ridiculous cold Dec 2010 with -20c and burst pipes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn
58 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Dreary weather in Prague. Maximum temperatures of 18C for the last few days with lots of cloud and a chilly NW’ly breeze. Yawn.        

Well I do hope it is all change for when I go!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Yet another Great British "summer" day: Overnight min: 14C, max temp a roasting......................err.............17C.  Needless to say,  the usual slate-grey sky from morning to evening obviously accompanied by the mandatory rain.  

Posted

A crap day for July in London. Mostly cloudy and humid. If this continues, I’ll class July as another poor month.

I don’t care how warm it is, if there’s no sunshine, it’s a waste of time. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Yet another Great British "summer" day: Overnight min: 14C, max temp a roasting......................err.............17C.  Needless to say,  the usual slate-grey sky from morning to evening obviously accompanied by the mandatory rain.  

22 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

It’s been muggy. The usual mid summer cloud fest, which reminds me so much of 2011, 12 and 2016.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

July is running some 4c below normal here..and today is another cloudy day with a cold northerly breeze..have only managed to struggle to get above 21c twice since June 18th

Sounds like the whole northern hemisphere has suffered from poor weather and cooler than average temps, despite the recent heatwave across parts of Europe. 

Perhaps this could be an early indicator of a very cold winter to come. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

If only but you never know!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
29 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Sounds like the whole northern hemisphere has suffered from poor weather and cooler than average temps, despite the recent heatwave across parts of Europe. 

probably for most of us ..but not the UK you will miss out again :snowman-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
3 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

probably for most of us ..but not the UK you will miss out again :snowman-emoji:

I think your living up to that name, with that remark! By the time your summer gets going it will indeed be winter!