Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
On 06/07/2019 at 22:31, DAVID SNOW said:

No model output (even the ones we cant see, met office) indicate any extreme heat for the foreseeable.

Thank God! Extreme heat stay well away from our beautiful island!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I wished we could just get rid of summer and fast forward to winter, its doing my head in being hot all the time.

2019, cannot say I like winter anymore, who wants days of rain and 9 degrees, Feb was okay though 19 degrees and sunny, better than some June days

TMW sucks, bring back childhood winters

Posted
50 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

2019, cannot say I like winter anymore, who wants days of rain and 9 degrees, Feb was okay though 19 degrees and sunny, better than some June days

2017-18 was ok and the late 2000s had some good ones. 

I think 2019/20 or 20/21 winters will produce something interesting. 

Some of us missed out in winter 18/19 though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Rather have it than summer, also you still never know what will happen in winter, QBO the biggest problem now and could be what scuppers us having a true solar min winter. we need this qbo transition to get out of the winter and quick or the next 3 years will go and we will get jack, very unlucky if you ask me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
26 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Rather have it than summer, also you still never know what will happen in winter, QBO the biggest problem now and could be what scuppers us having a true solar min winter. we need this qbo transition to get out of the winter and quick or the next 3 years will go and we will get jack, very unlucky if you ask me.

Just eyeballing the chart, I'd say we are at approximately the same phase as 2008 at the same time of year:

qbo_plot.png?v=1

At roughly the same point in solar min terms too, so maybe 08/09 an analogue (assuming there's anything to such things)? A discussion for a different season and a different thread, probably.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Just eyeballing the chart, I'd say we are at approximately the same phase as 2008 at the same time of year:

qbo_plot.png?v=1

At roughly the same point in solar min terms too, so maybe 08/09 an analogue (assuming there's anything to such things)? A discussion for a different season and a different thread, probably.

Good post, although 2008/09 wasn't actually that good, without that stonking snow event that just seemed to get lucky in rush hour, that winter would (and in Salford actually did) go down as a feeble effort.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Good post, although 2008/09 wasn't actually that good, without that stonking snow event that just seemed to get lucky in rush hour, that winter would (and in Salford actually did) go down as a feeble effort.

Making me chuckle...talking about the upcoming winter in July! 2008/09 wasn't a bad winter what I recall, plenty of dry conditions, fairly cool and frequent frosts with a bit of snow about early February.

Back to the here and now...feels quite clammy out there already with no wind though the temperature is only 19c - weird.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Making me chuckle...talking about the upcoming winter in July! 2008/09 wasn't a bad winter what I recall, plenty of dry conditions, fairly cool and frequent frosts with a bit of snow about early February.

Back to the here and now...feels quite clammy out there already with no wind though the temperature is only 19c - weird.

I would have though there was a lot of snow about for you, hardly any where i was, don't like those dry cold winters anyway, they are the ones that synoptically usually tantalise you and then fail to deliver.

Posted
25 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I would have though there was a lot of snow about for you, hardly any where i was, don't like those dry cold winters anyway, they are the ones that synoptically usually tantalise you and then fail to deliver.

Nope not that much...mostly east midlands and some parts of East Anglia had the majority if memory serves me right, I remember TEITS posting that he was on in the sweet spot (Peterborough).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
3 hours ago, Yarmy said:

qbo_plot.png?v=1

Similar QBO state to 1995/96 winter which was also in Solar minimum, if ENSO can drop to netral in summer an to negative in winter it would be a great analogue as 1993/94 and 1994/95 were EL Nino years like 2017/18 and 2018/19

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

17th straight day of 20°C + here. 16 straight days of 22°C +. The average max over that period is 24.1°C

Temperature.thumb.png.c5604dc3875d6ceebaa07972b3698bce.png

No complaints here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

still raining and cold here..was a dire weekend being wet everyday and is still raining this morning...Alaska may be having their hottest summer on record..we are on course for one of the coldest and wettest if the pattern doesn't change soon

37 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

17th straight day of 20°C + here. 16 straight days of 22°C +. The average max over that period is 24.1°C

Temperature.thumb.png.c5604dc3875d6ceebaa07972b3698bce.png

No complaints here.

Where abouts are you?.I'm in Herts and it's warm and sunny again.Everyone on here kept saying July would be awful?.Wrong!.

Posted
20 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I wished we could just get rid of summer and fast forward to winter, its doing my head in being hot all the time.

agreed

Posted
58 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

still raining and cold here..was a dire weekend being wet everyday and is still raining this morning...Alaska may be having their hottest summer on record..we are on course for one of the coldest and wettest if the pattern doesn't change soon

That’s the case. It always seems to be colder than average, while some other region is baking. 

It sounds like a poor summer for North America on the whole though. I bumped into a couple who were visiting London and came over from Toronto. I told them they were lucky to be over here in late June when the weather improved, because it was dire before that.

They pointed out how bad it was in Toronto with more unsettled weather and cooler temps overall. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, Big daddy 49 said:

Where abouts are you?.I'm in Herts and it's warm and sunny again.Everyone on here kept saying July would be awful?.Wrong!.

Yes it’s been nice since the start and arguably the best warm period of the whole year to date. It would be good if we could manage a decent August also. Last year wasn’t bad, but a good sunny August as a whole hasn’t been the case since about 2013. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Hmm..don't agree. Manchester winter index made it is the highest rating winter since 1995-96. It may not have been the snowiest but at least it felt like winter and it wasn't  restricted to just one month. 

If you are calling that winter a feeble effort, you are going have to delve deeply into the thesaurus to find an adjective describe the winters' previous, 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Lovely day today. Sunny spells and 23c currently in London Town. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Hmm..don't agree. Manchester winter index made it is the highest rating winter since 1995-96. It may not have been the snowiest but at least it felt like winter and it wasn't  restricted to just one month. 

If you are calling that winter a feeble effort, you are going have to delve deeply into the thesaurus to find an adjective describe the winters' previous, 

That was arguably my least snowiest winter with just a dusting during the whole winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

That’s the case. It always seems to be colder than average, while some other region is baking. 

It sounds like a poor summer for North America on the whole though. I bumped into a couple who were visiting London and came over from Toronto. I told them they were lucky to be over here in late June when the weather improved, because it was dire before that.

They pointed out how bad it was in Toronto with more unsettled weather and cooler temps overall. 

Looks pretty good in Toronto at the moment. Between 26c and 31c for the next week or two with plenty of sunshine. 

15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes it’s been nice since the start and arguably the best warm period of the whole year to date. It would be good if we could manage a decent August also. Last year wasn’t bad, but a good sunny August as a whole hasn’t been the case since about 2013. 

Yes I agree.Ive got kids,so I hope August is good!.I'm an optimistic soul,so I expect this August to be good!

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That was arguably my least snowiest winter with just a dusting during the whole winter.

I don't want to derail this thread but all I would say to that  is this

Manchester Winter Index for 2008-09: 105

Manchester Winter Index for 2013-14: 7 

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

I don't want to derail this thread but all I would say to that  is this

Manchester Winter Index for 2008-09: 105

Manchester Winter Index for 2013-14: 7 

That was  another terrible one i admit but indices mean nothing to me, you could have an off the scale -A0 / NAO but unless it delivers the white stuff then its useless.

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

More or less what I typed further up on this page...considering the efforts of numerous winters before that, nice frosty winter what I recall.

Posted
1 hour ago, danm said:

Looks pretty good in Toronto at the moment. Between 26c and 31c for the next week or two with plenty of sunshine. 

Yes it’s probably improved by now, but May and June struggled to produce the usual warmth that TO gets or The Big Smoke as the locals call it.

TO summers are sunnier and warmer than London, but the humidity can be horrible at times, despite the city sitting by Lake Ontario.

I experienced two summers there. 1999, which was hot and dry, and sometimes humid, and summer 2000 which was more thundery and unsettled in comparison. Still hot at times, but 2000 in Toronto was overall poor by their summer standards. The winter that followed though was bitter.