1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194 

Posted
7 hours ago, 38.5*C said:

This ongoing N/S split is so boring. . No sign of anything in the mid 20s for Manchester yet in the foreseeable. Only one day so far this Summer has seen 25C or above and which was last Saturday. Now compare this year to last year...

2019 temps.JPG

2018 temps.JPG

Yesterday before the middle and high level cloud came over, it was idyllic, sunshine and pleasant as it was before Saturday.

I don't see why it has to be an inferno just to make it less boring? 

Why is 22C sunny boring but 28C sunny isn't?  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone :oldsmile:
From a personal point of view I have to say that the past week has been what I'd call absolutely perfect summer. ☀️
No searing heat, just pleasantly warm, and indeed hot in the direct sun, but you can be out and about and do things without wilting.
If you disagree with me, then hey that's absolutely fine, as it would be a boring ole place if we were all the same. ☀️:friends:
The only thing that I would like is there to be more proper old school thundery breakdowns... But hey... There's still time. ⛅?️⛈️:oldrolleyes:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Another cracking start to the day, clear blue skies and 20c already in London. Should peak at 27c/28c before it cools down tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning everyone :oldsmile:
From a personal point of view I have to say that the past week has been what I'd call absolutely perfect summer. ☀️
No searing heat, just pleasantly warm, and indeed hot in the direct sun, but you can be out and about and do things without wilting.
If you disagree with me, then hey that's absolutely fine, as it would be a boring ole place if we were all the same. ☀️:friends:
The only thing that I would like is there to be more proper old school thundery breakdowns... But hey... There's still time. ⛅?️⛈️:oldrolleyes:

I’m predicting that August will be the month of thundery spells. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m predicting that August will be the month of thundery spells. 

Second half of July might be a bit, but I think August will go back to Atlantic weather for a while

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Already feeling quite warm in west London at 10am. This week vs. "heatwave week".. what a difference! 

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Yesterday before the middle and high level cloud came over, it was idyllic, sunshine and pleasant as it was before Saturday.

Maybe those who say spells of low 20Cs and sunshine is "boring" need to be more specific - it's meteorologically boring, albeit pleasant and usable.

Much of June was poor so I can see why people are quick to defend the current weather, but in meteorological terms, we've had poor weather and/or meteorologically boring weather so far this summer (bar Saturday's heat which was a non-event for most).

I think a 2/3-day widespread plume with storms would scratch the 'meteorological interest' itch. We often get those in summer and could do this summer, but it feels like a longer wait than usual after the poor June and the non-event last week.

Edited by h2005__uk__
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, StormChaseUK said:

Second half of July might be a bit, but I think August will go back to Atlantic weather for a while

Hopefully a repeat of mid July 2017, as that thundery spell was quite memorable. High altitude lightning seen from miles away, prior to the storms that moved in later during that night.

I’m confident we will see at least one decent storm before late August. Since 2013, the frequency of storms have returned.

Posted
1 hour ago, h2005__uk__ said:

Maybe those who say spells of low 20Cs and sunshine is "boring" need to be more specific - it's meteorologically boring, albeit pleasant and usable.

That is true. What I can't get my head around is complaining that the weather is currently boring and then compare it to this time last year which was basically sunny, very warm and dry. Which by logic was even more boring then. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Nothing boring from my point of view, other than the fact it is currently cloudy when it's supposed to be sunny.

Settled, warm and sunny is a good holding point between interesting weather e.g. heat, thunderstorms etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Now I'm getting bored of this weather.  It was nice a couple of days ago but yesterday was too humid and last night was unbearable.  The Met Office's forecast for the day is "More warm sunshine"  I mean who writes these summaries?  I do not need to be simpered to; "more warm sunshine" is a pathetic, dumbed-down way of describing a stultifying, deadening day of depressingly hot and uncomfortable weather.

"Warm sunshine"?  Up your game Met Office and provide proper forecasts, not dumbed-down rubbish for people who want to sit outside all day.

• Like 2

Posted

Warm sunshine describes the weather just fine. Nowhere in the UK is depressingly hot or uncomfortable at the moment? 

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

Now I'm getting bored of this weather.  It was nice a couple of days ago but yesterday was too humid and last night was unbearable.  The Met Office's forecast for the day is "More warm sunshine"  I mean who writes these summaries?  I do not need to be simpered to; "more warm sunshine" is a pathetic, dumbed-down way of describing a stultifying, deadening day of depressingly hot and uncomfortable weather.

"Warm sunshine"?  Up your game Met Office and provide proper forecasts, not dumbed-down rubbish for people who want to sit outside all day.

Oh for god sake. Give it a rest! 

This is a change from the rotten weather we had to endure in May and June. And after the chilly spring, most people wanted warm sunny weather. Thankfully it’s finally here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

This is a change from the rotten weather we had to endure in May and June. And after the chilly spring, most people wanted warm sunny weather. Thankfully it’s finally here. 

It’s also an accusation summation of current conditions for many so I’m not sure what his problem is lol. Even the language used isn’t over the top.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Well for someone like me, with a north-east facing bedroom window, and a window that doesn't open wide to boot, "warm sunshine" means sweaty, sleep-deprived hell.  I can have fans running, doors and windows open, and wear light clothing but it's still in vain.

So forgive me for not cheering at the prospect of another day of bleary-eyed, overheated misery.  

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sir Mim said:

Well for someone like me, with a north-east facing bedroom window, and a window that doesn't open wide to boot, "warm sunshine" means sweaty, sleep-deprived hell.  I can have fans running, doors and windows open, and wear light clothing but it's still in vain.

So forgive me for not cheering at the prospect of another day of bleary-eyed, overheated misery.  

Please don’t take this personally, but you sound like a whiny old tart!

Joking

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Today was passable, 20C in full sun so I was again able to catch more rays in the back garden.  Currently blue sky and full sun.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sir Mim said:

So, uhh.. you want the Met Office to take into account the mechanics of your window before releasing their forecasts?  Lol, right!  

Plus the nights aren’t even warm, low teens? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

One word for today... aargh.

This close to sun all day but the cloud was unmoved. 

90DE2F3D-A2D8-42EE-A96A-DECE36DD1D7C.thumb.jpeg.c8236e1658b48068223871c604da7216.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

Its very hot there!

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..
  • Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Totally agree, it's been a lovely few days in Manchester. Today ended up a lot better than expected too with lots of clear sky in the afternoon and strong sun. Also fantastic air quality I've noticed with this westerly flow.

I think if you look at the last 2 weeks in isolation it's actually been a very pleasant spell of summer weather. The ground is really drying out too and I've even noticed the grass starting to brown off in places.