Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
22 hours ago, mathematician said:

I don't know if any of those who constantly root for extreme hot weather have really experienced that...I am sure they have not. It's not just the number od "deaths" that matters, that's just a part of the story.

For personal reasons I have lived for many years in a country where the weather, during summer, it's exactly what you "dream of" (high humidity, no rain for months, max temperatures constantly above 35°) and believe me it's a nightmare in terms of quality of life. 

You can't breathe properly, you sweat even if you don't move, there is nothing you can do (other than staying indoors or napping) during most of the day and you have a constant feeling of feeling tired and headachy. Not to mention the toll that a weather like that takes on the environment (everything is brown and dusty, wildfires, water shortages etc.) .

It's really beyond me how you can root for that kind of weather when here in the UK we have the best summers of the Western world (and hence the most beautiful landscape).

Really and with all due respect but you don't know what you are talking about.

The best summers in the western world..are you having a laugh? If you live in the south east or northern France that may be the case for you anyway but you should try living in the pennines in northern England through a few poor summers and see how your opinion may change.Whilst you were not enjoying your 34 deg in the south I was basking in a half sunny day of 23 deg.That is in fact the only day these last few weeks I remember it going over 20.Last week was all 18 deg at best and today we hit 15 with drizzle.I have been to Turkey on my hols and I have family in Australia where I have also been and enjoyed their 38 deg.Whilst I wouldn't enjoy 40 deg for weeks on end a month of 35 deg+ I would certainly swap for the dross we get in these hills.Last year we really got spoilt here,not 35+ but plenty high 20s,bring that heat on thank you!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
6 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, August is the crappest summer month, always dominated by troughs, thing is August/early Sept is the hottest time of year if we get a plume setup, warmer seas than June, E'lys will be hot

June is the worst summer month here and this year is proof of that. We get too many easterlies resulting in North Sea cloud/mist. We never get North Sea mist in August. 

I remember posting last year that for many eastern locations, the first 20 days of August 2018 were sunnier than the first 20 days of June 2018, and that’s because the first 20 days of June last year were dominated by easterly winds and North Sea murk, with only the final 10 days being exceptionally sunny. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Can’t complain with this forecast, unless you live in northern Scotland. 

A settled, warm week ahead with plenty of sunshine. 26/27c now being forecast for the S/SE on Thursday (BBC also forecasting 26c for London). Met seem to think 27/28c is possible on Friday in the S/SE, whereas BBC are forecasting 23c. After last week where the Met seemed to overegg temperatures in some of their video forecasts I’m taking Friday’s numbers with a pinch of salt. 

The Met also talking about some warmer air flirting with the south over the weekend. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

... which is why he said it 'feels' like summer. Like everyone on here I'm sure he's well aware May is a spring month. I can see where he's coming from though, more so in light of recent times, where May is more often than not better than August, the days are longer, the sun is stronger, the light brighter etc etc. The second half of May is more frequently more summery down here than the second half of August, let alone into September when summer has long gone.

This debate comes up many times on what constitutes 'summer'. Are we thinking temperature, SSTs, light levels, plant growth. 21/6-21/9 or 01/06-31/08 or 07/05-07/08...

So he's setting himself for a fall then...temperature wise May isn't warmer than August that's for sure but maybe recent May's have swayed towards settled sunny warm ones and that on the basis of rising temperatures not just in this part of the world. You could equally argue that September is an extension of summer (certainly in the south) but it depends as you say what categorises 'summer' - warmth, sunshine totals, lack of rainfall or all the fore-mentioned, but saying that May this year really wasn't that bad and just proves you can't rest on your laurels expecting settled, sunny conditions. We aren't the Mediterranean. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
23 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

So he's setting himself for a fall then...temperature wise May isn't warmer than August that's for sure but maybe recent May's have swayed towards settled sunny warm ones and that on the basis of rising temperatures not just in this part of the world. You could equally argue that September is an extension of summer (certainly in the south) but it depends as you say what categorises 'summer' - warmth, sunshine totals, lack of rainfall or all the fore-mentioned, but saying that May this year really wasn't that bad and just proves you can't rest on your laurels expecting settled, sunny conditions. We aren't the Mediterranean. 

Not even that. His argument is it FEELS more like summer. Nobody can dispute that August has higher temperatures than May, but what use is slightly higher temperatures if it's cloudy/raining/windy/gloomy. Indeed, on occasion September can bring pangs of summer, but tends to require something a bit more 'special' to prevent temperatures falling away at night, mist/fog forming, and high enough temperatures in the day. For what it's worth, I don't think of September as a particularly settled month anyway. The Atlantic tends to pick up as August progresses anyway so it's quite difficult for September to reverse that trend.

Also, nobody is expecting a Mediterranean climate here. It would be foolhardy to do so. I would personally, however, expected something a bit more spectacular to have come from the most recent heatwave given the circumstances.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Good points raised there - I think everyone has different definitions of "summer"

Personally I consider May 20th to around August 20th Summer.    With Spring/Autumn either side. 

The warmth and  "summer type elevated" storms tend to die after late August unless you are really lucky. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

10th straight day of 20°C+ here. Average max over those 10 days is 24°C. Very noice!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

A trough dominated outlook!?!...might be the odd occasional passing weak front to the east but for the next week looks dry and sunny with temps largely near normal, not bad summer fayre. Certainly dry if you live in the south so nothing to moan about (for the majority).

Who knows beyond next week but certainly no Atlantic stuff to be seen of any consequence...

That’s why I said ‘possible’ - currently in FI, but the way late spring and early summer went I wouldn’t count it out.

Continue to misquote me though it’s cool.

Posted
8 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sorry I know this irks you for me to keep quoting you...but again and I know this is your opinion but May might feel like summer but it really is not - maybe it's because the flowers are out in full bloom and the Chelsea flower show appears and the cricket season is in full progress? but May has never been a summer month, there are a few that would argue that even the beginning of June isn't really summer (21st June to 21st September could be the argument for the solstices).

You're now saying that this May to July period is the worst in your lifetime, okay June maybe but May was largely fairly bland, sunshine totals and temperatures near normal, rainfall drier than normal and the first day of this month looks pleasant and not sure why you're including July. As I mentioned you keep posting your opinions that aren't really backed up by facts.

It only irks me when you quote me and insinuate my opinion is wrong and yours is right. Neither of us are right or wrong - we both have different preferences and that’s fine. It just seems you have a harder job accepting mine for whatever reason.

May ‘feels’ like summer here more often than not. As another poster said, the days are long and we often get some very good periods of warm/hot weather at some point in May. It’s my favourite month. I’m well aware it’s not summer meteorologically speaking thanks.

Its certainly been the worst period in living memory - again, in my opinion. Anecdotal of course. You are correct, May was largely bland and benign. The opening half of June however was absolutely unequivocally horrific - again in my opinion. Those deluges and cold temperatures were as bad as anything I’ve ever seen in this country during a summer month. I normally go to Download Festival in June and my goodness am I glad I wasn’t there this year. The biblical rain is one thing, but cold temperatures ontop of that? No thanks.

We’ve since had a 2 day heatwave in the south and that’s it. Today has been actually really nice to be fair, I can’t complain about that.

Yes I’m including July, because if you read my post properly I said IF we fall into a trough dominated outlook from next week (8th July) it will take some time to recover from - by which time, July will be nearly finished and we will be onto August. I didn’t once say it WILL happen, but IF it does, then summer will have been s**t - again, in my opinion.

How do you define ‘facts’ when regarding a particular person’s weather preferences exactly? You can’t.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Personal comment removed
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

It only irks me when you quote me and insinuate my opinion is wrong and yours is right. Neither of us are right or wrong - we both have different preferences and that’s fine. It just seems you have a harder job accepting mine for whatever reason.

May ‘feels’ like summer here more often than not. As another poster said, the days are long and we often get some very good periods of warm/hot weather at some point in May. It’s my favourite month. I’m well aware it’s not summer meteorologically speaking thanks.

Its certainly been the worst period in living memory - again, in my opinion. Anecdotal of course. You are correct, May was largely bland and benign. The opening half of June however was absolutely unequivocally horrific - again in my opinion. Those deluges and cold temperatures were as bad as anything I’ve ever seen in this country during a summer month. I normally go to Download Festival in June and my goodness am I glad I wasn’t there this year. The biblical rain is one thing, but cold temperatures ontop of that? No thanks.

We’ve since had a 2 day heatwave in the south and that’s it. Today has been actually really nice to be fair, I can’t complain about that.

Yes I’m including July, because if you read my post properly I said IF we fall into a trough dominated outlook from next week (8th July) it will take some time to recover from - by which time, July will be nearly finished and we will be onto August. I didn’t once say it WILL happen, but IF it does, then summer will have been s**t - again, in my opinion.

How do you define ‘facts’ when regarding a particular person’s weather preferences exactly? You can’t.

I agree with this.

Some people are very patronising when you tell them about certain weather events in the past. I was informed by a few on here that I must be a youngster, because I classed summers of 2007-12 worse than the 85-88 period. To their surprise, I was actually alive during those years. 

The late 2000s and early 10s were just as bad. 

Personal comment removed
  • Like 4

Posted

Why are you looking into FI for the next 'possible' poor spell of weather which could be it for your summer when we have a majority of this week which looks set fair and largely sunny, even then we would not be half way through summer?

By the way not twisting anybodies agenda to suit mine and I never said your opinion is wrong by I do feel there have been some exaggeration but hey!

Personal comment removed
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Why are looking into FI for the next 'possible' poor spell of weather which could be it for your summer when we have a majority of this week which looks set fair and largely sunny and even then we would not even be half way through summer?

By the way not twisting anybodies agenda to suit mine and I never said your opinion is wrong by I do feel there have been some exaggeration but hey!

Why am I looking into FI for upcoming weather on a forum for weather enthusiasts? Think you answered your own question there.

Personal comment removed

Posted

Your looking for further poor weather so you can further blow your frustrations - let's be honest, 2 poor weeks in June which it largely amounted to and the majority of the rest was pretty average but that alone doesn't make a poor summer (Including May), I'll leave it at that, have a good evening.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Your looking for further poor weather so you can further blow your frustrations - let's be honest, 2 poor weeks in June which it largely amounted to and the majority of the rest was pretty average but that alone doesn't make a poor summer (Including May), I'll leave it at that, have a good evening.

I admire your attempts to polish a turd but by most normal people’s perceptions, most of June in the UK was crap. Still July and August to go, of course. We all know how August hasn’t been much to write home about in recent decades, so hopefully July will deliver hot sunshine.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I admire your attempts to polish a turd but by most normal people’s perceptions, most of June in the UK was crap. Still July and August to go, of course. We all know how August hasn’t been much to write home about in recent decades, so hopefully July will deliver hot sunshine.

We are due a genuine decent August, so perhaps 2019 will be the year.  A few summer LRF’s did go for a backloaded summer.

• Like 3

Posted

Yes the last decent hot August was 2003 but since had a few warm one's but rather unsettled so maybe this is the one...June wasn't a total washout, it started sunny and warm/very warm and ended that way it was just what was in between

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Yep been a rubbish start to summer.  Briefly turned warmer here last week but nothing exceptional (generally 24-29°C, but with a fairly strong breeze).  June was a very forgettable month along with May.  July looks pleasant enough at least for the first week but nothing notable.  Hopefully August will be the month to deliver.  I'd also love a warm September and October.  Something wonderful about warmth when the days are getting much shorter, takes the sting out of summer's end.

Posted
3 hours ago, danm said:

Can’t complain with this forecast, unless you live in northern Scotland. 

A settled, warm week ahead with plenty of sunshine. 26/27c now being forecast for the S/SE on Thursday (BBC also forecasting 26c for London). Met seem to think 27/28c is possible on Friday in the S/SE, whereas BBC are forecasting 23c. After last week where the Met seemed to overegg temperatures in some of their video forecasts I’m taking Friday’s numbers with a pinch of salt. 

The Met also talking about some warmer air flirting with the south over the weekend. 

For the first week of July that's a poor forecast for my location, no where near northern Scotland.

I've also noticed recently that the Met office tend to over egg summer temperature forecasts.

The recent non existent heatwave a prime example compared to other 'resources'.

This coming week is another example, the App I use (supplier I believe the same one that supply the BBC) has high temps for Newcastle of 17..17..19..17 then dropping further for next weekend, 15/16c!! Well below average but not reflected in the met office forecast.

I know who my money is on.

Posted

NWly airflow for some time now by the looks pretty cloudy coming from the irish sea cloud mostly tends to clear late in the evening but not currently though, at least its settled down and dry something that we need for a week to 10 days.

Should warm up somewhat by midweek.

16 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Yep been a rubbish start to summer.  Briefly turned warmer here last week but nothing exceptional (generally 24-29°C, but with a fairly strong breeze).  June was a very forgettable month along with May.  July looks pleasant enough at least for the first week but nothing notable.  Hopefully August will be the month to deliver.  I'd also love a warm September and October.  Something wonderful about warmth when the days are getting much shorter, takes the sting out of summer's end.

It always feels pointless having warm weather in September though.Its like scoring a goal when you're 5-0 down and ten minutes to go!.I don't know much about weather maps etc,but a heatwave can arrive all of a sudden.Plenty of opportunity yet!.

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

No, it was most of June that was poor. Don’t downplay how poor it was please. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Weatheronline's forecast for London looks very average for the time of year. Those conditions throughout July and August would suit me fine.

iLcysKT.png

Edited by B87

Posted
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Seriously what on earth are you going on about?...let's just leave it at that.

So you think that looks average (though for London) for the time of year, sunny spells, dry and temps largely from 23-26c?

Average to slightly above for London early July yes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, Don said:

We are due a genuine decent August, so perhaps 2019 will be the year.  A few summer LRF’s did go for a backloaded summer.

Am I mistaken but are very good Augusts in a poor or mediocre summer as rare as hens teeth?