Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
On 29/06/2019 at 14:47, Aleman said:

Apologies for the subject matter but I think it is useful to know.

Hot versus cold deaths is often an ill-informed debate....

I don't know if any of those who constantly root for extreme hot weather have really experienced that...I am sure they have not. It's not just the number od "deaths" that matters, that's just a part of the story.

For personal reasons I have lived for many years in a country where the weather, during summer, it's exactly what you "dream of" (high humidity, no rain for months, max temperatures constantly above 35°) and believe me it's a nightmare in terms of quality of life. 

You can't breathe properly, you sweat even if you don't move, there is nothing you can do (other than staying indoors or napping) during most of the day and you have a constant feeling of feeling tired and headachy. Not to mention the toll that a weather like that takes on the environment (everything is brown and dusty, wildfires, water shortages etc.) .

It's really beyond me how you can root for that kind of weather when here in the UK we have the best summers of the Western world (and hence the most beautiful landscape).

Really and with all due respect but you don't know what you are talking about.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Scorcher said:

It could soon be off that list altogether- I think by the end of next weekend it will be long gone!

Also I wonder where 1995 would have been at this point? June wasn't great until the last third of the month.

Summer index by the end of June 1995 was 196 

June 1995 was a very dry month, infactthere have only been two drier summer months for England and Wales since then: August 1995 and June 2018. 

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The outlook here for the next week is rather disappointing - high teens, cloudy. It’s dry at least though.

Posted

fter yesterday's stifling heat here in lowland East London, a much more agreeable day today.

Looking ahead, generally settled though the GFS 12Z does offer a brief N'ly but mercifully none of those silly +20 850s on the horizon which should mean 25c and decent humidity levels which we can all enjoy.

That will get us into mid July so one of the big heat periods will have been survived - the beginning of August is the other time when we can see some serious heat.

The good news is for a change the Azores HP looks less of a force after this week so a more Atlantic-dominated outlook. Decent enough for southern and south western parts as you would expect - indeed, the whole chart series screams typical summer weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

We actually managed 20C today after a mild night.  Mostly cloudy with very few brief sunny intervals.  This was taken at Hatchmere, Frodsham, Cheshire.  Water temp. 20C which was surprising given the weeks of cold, wet conditions since the start of June.P6300724.thumb.JPG.5c6153bbf5e4ad231693a62b69aaa527.JPGP6300711.thumb.JPG.6d9bcaa3283d1e66e06afda022cf66b6.JPG

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
Typo

Posted
5 hours ago, mathematician said:

You should be happy since this is what you have been rooting for ever since the summer started...

I am happy thanks - where do I state my unhappiness? You must be absolutely crestfallen at the appearance of warmer weather. Gutted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I am happy thanks - where do I state my unhappiness? You must be absolutely crestfallen at the appearance of warmer weather. Gutted.

I thought the mods had put a stop to this sort of asinine discussion but it seems not, since it continues to resurface every other week.

Just ignore the troll.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, mathematician said:

It's really beyond me how you can root for that kind of weather when here in the UK we have the best summers of the Western world (and hence the most beautiful landscape).

Really and with all due respect but you don't know what you are talking about.

I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I have a feeling this might be a massive revelation for you so you might want to be sat down when you read this.

Sitting comfortably?

ok, here goes.

Some people have different opinions and preferences to yourself and the World doesn’t revolve around you.

i know that’s probably a bitter and jagged pill to swallow, but you need to be told.

Posted

Lol, we do not have the best summers in the western world.

We have disappointing summers in the main, and if we’re lucky we get a couple of good ones every 3-4 years in clusters.

This comment is in response to what Mathematician was referring to. 

Some of us don’t want another 2016, 15, or even a 12 summer. Damp and cool, or periods of warm average weather with long periods of cloudy spells. Hardly warrants a good summer in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
21 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol, we do not have the best summers in the western world.

Some of us don’t want another 2016, 15, or even a 12 summer. Damp and cool, or periods of warm average weather with long periods of cloudy spells. Hardly warrants a good summer in my opinion.

It's a matter of opinion.  If you're fit and able-bodied, weather extremes are fine for you, but, if you're disabled, elderly, or have ongoing health difficulties, extremes can be nasty.  What makes the traditional British summer wonderful is that it is optimal for the largest percentage of the population; same with our winters.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I know that this thread title includes moaning but it does not include bickering or guilt tripping. Any more and posts will disappear.

Thank-you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’ve always thought that if our summers could be reliably sunny and daytime temperatures 3-5C higher, meaning warmer evenings, but cooling to present values at night, it’d be just right. 

I love heat but for me sunshine is paramount in summer. Today, although too windy for my liking, was at least sunny and compensated for the disappointing maximum.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
41 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I’ve always thought that if our summers could be reliably sunny and daytime temperatures 3-5C higher, meaning warmer evenings, but cooling to present values at night, it’d be just right. 

I love heat but for me sunshine is paramount in summer. Today, although too windy for my liking, was at least sunny and compensated for the disappointing maximum.

That's almost a daily occurrence here with the sea breeze leading to cooler feeling afternoons and that leaves it too cool for the evening as when the breeze drops there's not enough sunshine left for it to properly warm up again. There was one nice warm evening here a few days ago even though it wasn't the warmest day overall. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
2019 172 (30th June)
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

Posted

back to a NW airflow and feeling chilly for most of the UK. But the feel of the weather wont get mentioned in the weather forecasts..

I personally just don't trust the weather to go out in a t-shirt. Apart from Saturday that is.. It may say 18/19c but add on the wind chill its more like 11c/12c

Posted

So a trough dominated outlook possible beyond this working week.

the recent 2 day heatwave bought this summer’s score up to a 2/10 so far but that will drop it right back down. The lack of any convection whatsoever is adding to the misery this year.

I think we’re on the precipice now. If next week sees a period of unsettled garbage begin to dominate, that basically signals the end of summer 2019 for me.

Yeah it can be hot in August, though it hasn’t since 2003, but by then the days are much shorter and autumn is waiting in the wings.

Summer for me has always felt like the period May-July and this year it’s been amongst the very worst in my lifetime. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
16 minutes ago, Azazel said:

the recent 2 day heatwave bought this summer’s score up to a 2/10 so far but that will drop it right back down. The lack of any convection whatsoever is adding to the misery this year.

I think we’re on the precipice now. If next week sees a period of unsettled garbage begin to dominate, that basically signals the end of summer 2019 for me.

Yeah it can be hot in August, though it hasn’t since 2003, but by then the days are much shorter and autumn is waiting in the wings.

Summer for me has always felt like the period May-July and this year it’s been amongst the very worst in my lifetime. 

Aye, August is the crappest summer month, always dominated by troughs, thing is August/early Sept is the hottest time of year if we get a plume setup, warmer seas than June, E'lys will be hot

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Corrected for Northerners:

"the recent 0 or 1 day heatwave ..."

I had around 4.5C (sunny, humid) above average Saturday around +2.0C(grey, breezy) Sunday. I'm annoyed for having to blow up a large paddling pool and it was only warm enough to use on Saturday.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

A trough dominated outlook!?!...might be the odd occasional passing weak front to the east but for the next week looks dry and sunny with temps largely near normal, not bad summer fayre. Certainly dry if you live in the south so nothing to moan about (for the majority).

Who knows beyond next week but certainly no Atlantic stuff to be seen of any consequence...

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Beautiful day today in London, almost wall to wall sunshine at the moment. 20c currently, 22c the expected high. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
12 hours ago, Azazel said:

Sorry I know this irks you for me to keep quoting you...but again and I know this is your opinion but May might feel like summer but it really is not - maybe it's because the flowers are out in full bloom and the Chelsea flower show appears and the cricket season is in full progress? but May has never been a summer month, there are a few that would argue that even the beginning of June isn't really summer (21st June to 21st September could be the argument for the solstices).

You're now saying that this May to July period is the worst in your lifetime, okay June maybe but May was largely fairly bland, sunshine totals and temperatures near normal, rainfall drier than normal and the first day of this month looks pleasant and not sure why you're including July. As I mentioned you keep posting your opinions that aren't really backed up by facts.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Personal comment removed
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sorry I know this irks you for me to keep quoting you...but again and I know this is your opinion but May might feel like summer but it really is not - maybe it's because the flowers are out in full bloom and the Chelsea flower show appears and the cricket season is in full progress? but May has never been a summer month, there are a few that would argue that even the beginning of June isn't really summer (21st June to 21st September could be the argument for the solstices).

... which is why he said it 'feels' like summer. Like everyone on here I'm sure he's well aware May is a spring month. I can see where he's coming from though, more so in light of recent times, where May is more often than not better than August, the days are longer, the sun is stronger, the light brighter etc etc. The second half of May is more frequently more summery down here than the second half of August, let alone into September when summer has long gone.

This debate comes up many times on what constitutes 'summer'. Are we thinking temperature, SSTs, light levels, plant growth. 21/6-21/9 or 01/06-31/08 or 07/05-07/08...

• Like 2