Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Both of those occasions have been post-1990 to be fair, and it seems like we’ve been recording higher max temperatures in recent years. 

Everything would have to line up perfectly to break 40C but it will probably happen eventually, unless you think the 2003 record will stand forever.

I don't think many people are doubting that we will hit 40 degrees in the future, but it's highly unlikely in June. Probably late July or August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
Just now, johnholmes said:

Which is probably the main reason you are less hot than folk lower down

I fully understand that John. I was referring to where i live,sorry if that wasn't clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I don't think many people are doubting that we will hit 40 degrees in the future, but it's highly unlikely in June. Probably late July or August.

I agree. Late July or early August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
59 minutes ago, cheese said:

Both of those occasions have been post-1990 to be fair, and it seems like we’ve been recording higher max temperatures in recent years. 

Everything would have to line up perfectly to break 40C but it will probably happen eventually, unless you think the 2003 record will stand forever.

There have been 6 occasions in the last century breaking 36 deg,1911,1932,1990,2003,2006 and 2015. Only 2003 was above 37 deg at 38.5 which seems extordinary  in itself compared to the others.2015 was a blip I don't know how it happened as the days either side of it were way less and disappeared faster than it arrived.To break the 40 deg mark really is going to take something way more spectacular.Yes it could happen but look at the statistics It doesn't look close at all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

There have been 6 occasions in the last century breaking 36 deg,1911,1932,1990,2003,2006 and 2015. Only 2003 was above 37 deg at 38.5 which seems extordinary  in itself compared to the others.2015 was a blip I don't know how it happened as the days either side of it were way less and disappeared faster than it arrived.To break the 40 deg mark really is going to take something way more spectacular.Yes it could happen but look at the statistics It doesn't look close at all.

Like I said, unless you think the 2003 record will stand forever then it seems almost inevitable that 40C will be exceeded at some point. I think it’s just a matter of when, not if.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

France didn’t think they’d see 46c In late June until last week! I’d say 40c is certainly possible here, just imagine if this happened 3-4 weeks later. It’d take another almighty plume, but I’m almost certain it’ll happen in my lifetime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

France didn’t think they’d see 46c In late June until last week! I’d say 40c is certainly possible here, just imagine if this happened 3-4 weeks later. It’d take another almighty plume, but I’m almost certain it’ll happen in my lifetime.

Aye, need this setup but much slower Atlantic front, by day 3, could see a 40 degrees, then fresher next day, needs to be say mid Aug to mid Sept

Posted

Days are too short then mid august onwards,anyway the outlook is looking average but we have a high pressure in a perfect spot so little or actually no rain and that`ll be very helpful for for hay making and shearing etc as everything is running late this year after the deluges.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I think it goes to show how difficult it is to achieve 40C in this country. We still haven't surpassed 38C & that record still stands from 16 years ago. Since then we've had some significant heatwaves (2005, 2006, 2013, a few plumes & of course last Summer) yet the record still hangs on. I think it just shows how extraordinary the conditions were in 2003 especially in southern England.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted

Unfortunately here in mid-Essex (and parts of Suffolk/Norfolk), this summer continues to be uneventful - just missed reaching 30C today and missed the two rounds of recent thunderstorms; plus of course, like the rest of the UK, we were plagued by the cool start to the month and not getting the most of the hot uppers now. June hasn't even been notable for high rainfall levels here - it's been wet but not exceptional.

I have hope that July to September will deliver something more notable - hopefully at least one 30+C day and, if not, then some good thunderstorms at least!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

After a high of 34c today in London, it’s still 27c at 11.45pm...!

• Like 1

Posted

Was absolutely roasting earlier and the AC in my car is broken so returned to my hometown a messy puddle but was feeling quite cool when I got picked up just now after a few beers. Shame this didn’t go out with a bang but that seems to be the way of things now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Didn't reach 30°C here but the sea breeze didn't pick up as much as I thought it would so didn't get that far off but was nice for it to feel like summer today. Much cooler here now though. 

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
2019 170 (up to 29th June)
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Already feeling a much better day temp wise for me,humidity has dropped and lovely fresh breeze. If summer stayed like this i would be very happy.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
Just now, markyo said:

Already feeling a much better day temp wise for me,humidity has dropped and lovely fresh breeze. If summer stayed like this i would be very happy.

Yes, much better.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, simshady said:

Yes, much better.

Yes I agree, so long as it doesn’t fall back into the high teens or 20-21 degree area with cool winds and cloud.

I think 24c to 27c with a breeze is perfect summer weather. 29c and above seems uncomfortable in London at times. 

Yesterday felt a little too hot, because we have been so used to cooler weather this summer so far, and unlike last year, where there was a gradual rise in temps and more consistent warm and sunny days, so we were able to adjust to a sudden 30c plus day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
24 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes I agree, so long as it doesn’t fall back into the high teens or 20-21 degree area with cool winds and cloud.

I think 24c to 27c with a breeze is perfect summer weather. 29c and above seems uncomfortable in London at times. 

Yesterday felt a little too hot, because we have been so used to cooler weather this summer so far, and unlike last year, where there was a gradual rise in temps and more consistent warm and sunny days, so we were able to adjust to a sudden 30c plus day. 

Anything from 17 to 27C (with reasonable RH) will do me fine, S76; last Monday, Tuesday and yesterday were simply far too oppressive...:oldgrin:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

The heat yesterday gave me a chance to get a proper reading of my A/C's power consumption, if anyone has been eyeing up portables and was curious.

In 14h it used 8.4KWH, it's a twin hose unit and I had it set to 22ºC.

Posted
17 hours ago, hillbilly said:

1990 also topped 37C (37.1C at Cheltenham). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Beautiful day here in the SE. Glorious sunshine, a light breeze and currently 23c/24c. Should top out at 25c.

Posted
8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
2019 170 (up to 29th June)
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

It could soon be off that list altogether- I think by the end of next weekend it will be long gone!

Also I wonder where 1995 would have been at this point? June wasn't great until the last third of the month.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters with snow and hot sunny summers

+ 36.2°C right now here, no cool air in sight so fare!

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, Azazel said:

Was absolutely roasting earlier and the AC in my car is broken so returned to my hometown a messy puddle but 

You should be happy since this is what you have been rooting for ever since the summer started...

• Like 2