Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Chilly night with just 11C.  According to friend's vehicle thermo we reached 27C, I'm sitting in front of my PC topless with all windows open.  Doesn't feel particularly humid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

I will be very sad to see this short spell of hot weather finish!

25c here today!

A7C25C6F-BB53-4A60-B5F0-ECF87F3E524D.thumb.jpeg.a203065f1aefa2656f19e09f7e53224d.jpeg7B0FFB08-66D6-4F0A-92B0-C2157595AD9D.thumb.jpeg.f1eb0b9a4561959c7fb8736c305b8b1d.jpeg

Third day in a row here we have had hot and sunny weather.

One more day to go! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted

Despite today's warmer start, we were further below average today thanks to the stronger easterly, reaching 19.9C. It was warm in the sun if you could get out of the breeze but rather cool in the shade and I wore a fleece at times. A heatwave is 5 days by definition. Maybe 10-15% of the UK was hot today (25C+), 30%+ warmish and the rest - up to half (?) -  cooler than average. Some people have lost their marbles trying to excuse some pretty wayward forecasts for this week. Apparently, we'll finally beat average here tomorrow before it cools again. I'm off to the pub tomorrow afternoon to celebrate the one-day heatwave if we do - and if we don't. The only difference will be whether I take my fleece or not!

It has been gloriously sunny for two days, though. Lovely jubbly.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
22 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Good point. We had a couple of record breaking hot days in Summer 2015 if I remember rightly, (wasn't this when Heathrow was supposed to have recorded its highest ever temp) but few would class that as a brilliant Summer overall.

I'd still rather have a couple of really hot days in a overall poor Summer than none whatsoever though if I'm honest. Not that we can make a full analysis until the end of August. Maybe then will deliver the goods this year. 

I understand the frustration though as say in the final days in December if we haven't had much in the way of cold and snowy weather by then, with little of it seeming likely any time soon, most of us Winter coldies start to lose our optimism, even if some of us like to pretend we don't ☺️.

Late 1986 was mild, but jan 1987 turned things round. You can never be certain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Wow 30 deg in Scotland,lots of places 25 and above yet only 18 degrees here in the pennines!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

One annoying thing I noticed this week is that with all the media bleating of "heatwave", stores everywhere have turned their Air Conditioning on full blast even though it's been average or even below average temperatures most of the time. As a result it's been utterly freezing inside most places, almost unbearably cold with drafts of ice cold air coming from the ceiling, ridiculous. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

It’s a decent spell with good sunshine the last two days, wall to wall sunshine in fact. 

The only really annoying thing is it’s overly breezy at 15-20mph from the east. As is often the way in the UK. You get decent temperatures but the strong breeze really kills it. 

If it was 35-40c then a breeze is quite welcome. But at 26c, a northerly breeze brings it down to a feel of 19-20c. 

Hopefully tomorrow will feel much warmer with a southerly flow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
2 hours ago, Djdazzle said:

I did read your post earlier. The point still stands. Your logic seems a bit flawed.

in any case many of the hi res models are going for 35C tomorrow, so I think you maybe a little low with your prediction,

Maybe I'm too low with my prediction but I will stick with 32/33C max no higher. Will give you full credit if it does reach 35C 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

Maybe I'm too low with my prediction but I will stick with 32/33C max no higher. Will give you full credit if it does reach 35C 

Sitting here in the SE with a hoodie on feeling chilly Im more inclined to agree with you that it’ll be on the lower side, certainly here - we’ll see. 

Posted
7 hours ago, 95 Degrees said:

45C has been surpassed in France, its astonishing how this has occured in June!

It is nearly July...

Posted
3 minutes ago, CanadianCoops said:

Sitting here in the SE with a hoodie on feeling chilly Im more inclined to agree with you that it’ll be on the lower side, certainly here - we’ll see. 

Certainly not cold here in East London. If anything it feels warmer than earlier.

Posted
Just now, Djdazzle said:

Certainly not cold here in East London. If anything it feels warmer than earlier.

That 30 odd miles makes a huge difference. Been working in east London all week and blue skies since Wednesday. Here in north Kent been cloudy and chilly all week. Still chilly wind here 

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Uppers of 24.9 in s Cambs this evening ......

Never has that upper air temp been in the UK before. Think about that....

Then wonder why we're not nearing 40c.... has it got your puzzled? Yeah, me too. Today felt warmish...ish. 

Posted

What ever happens, I think it's safe to say that this plume will go down as one of the biggest 'What the hell' moments in weather history. A real wasted opportunity and sad to think what could have been. 

France recorded temperatures in the 45c range, and 25c uppers were recorded in Cambridgeshire (the only time it's ever happened in recorded history in the UK, even 2003 was only in the 20-21c range) and yet here we are, the last three days struggling to get past mid 20's and maybe one day of 34-35c, and that's it (There is a chance my prediction of 36c may come true, but still) 

It really has been so baffling, and deeply disappointing. I am a heat lover and a extreme weather lover, and seeing 25c uppers in the UK is maybe something I will never see again in my whole life, or at least for a long long time. Yet we are delivered these measly temperatures..

It really is annoying.   

Edited by matty007
  • Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Late 1986 was mild, but jan 1987 turned things round. You can never be certain. 

True, but if we had netweather back then, with access to the models like we do now I'm sure there would have been plenty of indicators that something big was brewing by late December 86 anyway.

The thing is now days we have all this information at our disposal, that allows us to at least with some degree of confidence ascertain the likelihood of x or y pattern taking hold or continuing for the next week or two. Not that this always works of course, as we all know what is refered to as FI is often unreliable at best, but at least gives us an idea of the likely Synoptics over a broad area for an extended period.

Back then all people had were tv and radio forecasts for the next 3 or 4 days at best, meaning the weather in exactly a weeks time was for the most part a complete mystery. There was probably something quite comforting in that, rather than the stress we have nowadays looking at charts for 10 days time or more with hoped for pattern changes constantly been put back, watered down or just been completely wrong. Still it keeps the MOD thread lively at least even if it can often be a psychological nightmare at times .

Posted
8 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Achnagart in Scotland has taken the UKs warmest day of the year so far with 29.3c

Wow. I bet it's pretty rare for anywhere in Scotland to take that record at anytime of year, especially in the Summer months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
6 minutes ago, matty007 said:

What ever happens, I think it's safe to say that this plume will go down as one of the biggest 'What the hell' moments in weather history. A real wasted opportunity and sad to think what could have been. 

France recorded temperatures in the 45c range, and 25c uppers were recorded in Cambridgeshire (the only time it's ever happened in recorded history in the UK, even 2003 was only in the 20-21c range) and yet here we are, the last three days struggling to get past mid 20's and maybe one day of 34-35c, and that's it (There is a chance my prediction of 36c may come true, but still) 

It really has been so baffling, and deeply disappointing. I am a heat lover and a extreme weather lover, and seeing 25c uppers in the UK is maybe something I will never see again in my whole life, or at least for a long long time. Yet we are delivered this measly temperatures..

It really is annoying.   

We all feel the same. Totally betrayed and let down by our own useless weather.  Whats even worse is seeing it on the News how France has smashed their heat record while UK gets sod all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Bloomin hell guys the weather has been fantastic the last couple of days and another hot one tomorrow! I can understand all the moaning in early June with the diabolical conditions we had then, but not now surely!! The outlook looks decent with sure to be further hot spells moving forward, and tbh raving about temps in excess of 40c can be extremely dangerous to a good many folks health.... Its not the be all and and end all... If the climatological experts are correct we will be seeing many more spells of potentially dangerous heat devoloping down the line, and trust me it will cause alot of problems. Give me a repeat of last year any day... Very warm and sunny, but never really to the extreme heat wise, and never very humid also.... The tropics can keep the 40+c heat.... 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mattwolves said:

Bloomin hell guys the weather has been fantastic the last couple of days and another hot one tomorrow! I can understand all the moaning in early June with the diabolical conditions we had then, but not now surely!! The outlook looks decent with sure to be further hot spells moving forward, and tbh raving about temps in excess of 40c can be extremely dangerous to a good many folks health.... Its not the be all and and end all... If the climatological experts are correct we will be seeing many more spells of potentially dangerous heat devoloping down the line, and trust me it will cause alot of problems. Give me a repeat of last year any day... Very warm and sunny, but never really to the extreme heat wise, and never very humid also.... The tropics can keep the 40+c heat.... 

Having just stepped out at Shanghai airport into 28c and so humid at 8:30am I concur !!

i wonder if this exceptional plume can be correlated to the general lack of high uppers over w Europe thus far ?  In the same way that the cold can be kept back in the Arctic during a strongly pos AO winter which then allows a stonking n once the floodgates open, is the opposite true in the summer ??  

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Look, I'm not moaning. It is indeed much better than what we had. I am simply stating that with these extreme synoptics we have, it should have been so much better. There is a clear difference between moaning and being let down that the synoptics did not deliver. 

I remember walking out of Bangkok airport the first time I'd ever been abroad. 42c. To be honest, it felt hot indeed, but not that uncomfortable. Granted I have a high tolerance to heat yes, but you would get used to it quickly. And the great thing about Thailand etc? very little wind. So the temperatures that are there, you can actually feel.  

I am so sick of the wind in this country. It ruined the July 1st 2015 plume, which yes, was warm, but was heavily weakened by that high 25-30mph wind. And now it's ruining this plume too so far. I am in the SE, generally the warmest part of the UK, and I can tell you that today the 26-27c felt much much lower because of that wind. 

Why we can't get high heat with low wind is beyond me. 

Posted
41 minutes ago, matty007 said:

Look, I'm not moaning. It is indeed much better than what we had. I am simply stating that with these extreme synoptics we have, it should have been so much better. There is a clear difference between moaning and being let down that the synoptics did not deliver. 

I remember walking out of Bangkok airport the first time I'd ever been abroad. 42c. To be honest, it felt hot indeed, but not that uncomfortable. Granted I have a high tolerance to heat yes, but you would get used to it quickly. And the great thing about Thailand etc? very little wind. So the temperatures that are there, you can actually feel.  

I am so sick of the wind in this country. It ruined the July 1st 2015 plume, which yes, was warm, but was heavily weakened by that high 25-30mph wind. And now it's ruining this plume too so far. I am in the SE, generally the warmest part of the UK, and I can tell you that today the 26-27c felt much much lower because of that wind. 

Why we can't get high heat with low wind is beyond me. 

Chill Matty ......maybe u need to head back to Thailand......the vast majority on here are happy with the extremes being just that .....extreme .....we like living in a temperate climate ...... maybe we could do with a bit more of the sub zero stuff though......

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Chill Matty ......maybe u need to head back to Thailand......the vast majority on here are happy with the extremes being just that .....extreme .....we like living in a temperate climate ...... maybe we could do with a bit more of the sub zero stuff though......

Hey, I'm not mad at all. I'm just stating my opinion. 

I am not for one moment saying that I want a tropical climate with extreme heat. I am simply saying that sometimes it would be nice if the synoptics delivered how they are supposed to. It would be lovely to see a plume not being watered down. And it would be nice to see a warm period without the wind etc detracting from it.  

This exact view could just as easily be said from the people who prefer cold. Please tell me this...do you want a beast from the east that is forecast to be very cold only for it to degrade more and more closer to the time? Or do you want a beast from the east that actually delivers? 

Yes, I think I know the answer...

Very few of us wish for a arctic or tropical climate...it would just be nice to see extremes or sustained warmth/cold occasionally. 

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2019 165 (up to 27th June)
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170