• Weather Preferences: thunder

Last week expected for today 30-34C

Current temp 11C 

So I'm closer to freezing point than I am 30c 

One of the biggest plume fails of all time 

• Like 4

Posted
18 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Haha! It’s a huge shame. With models showing temperatures into the mid 30’s and high humidities, it looked epic. 

What's so epic about suffering?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
1 hour ago, conor123 said:

I must say i´m quite surprised considering the extremely hot uppers for tomorrow and Friday that highs only look in the low to maybe mid 20´s? considering the sunshine forecast and uppers of above 20 850pHa for much of England and Wales Friday i´m not sure how widespread 30c or higher is on the cards???

I'm guessing all the rain we've had this June will be playing a part in the temps last year the ground exceptionally dry whereas this year we've had local flooding and lots of rain nationally 

• Like 1

Posted

If it got 21.2C on the 26th February this year under this set-up. It was 19C up here in Manchester

CFSR_1_2019022612_1.pngCFSR_1_2019022618_2.png

I wonder what would have been the maximum have been if the same conditions happened on the 26th June?

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

A level 2 heatwave alert is in place for; West Midlands, south-west and south-east England

Current watch level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 09:35 on Wed 26 Jun 2019

There is a 70 % probability of heat health criteria being met between 0600 on Thursday and 1800 on Saturday in parts of England.

Very warm or hot conditions are expected in the west of the country over the next few days, with these warmer conditions moving eastwards into the weekend. Cooler conditions are then expected from Sunday onwards. Trigger criteria are most likely to be met in southern areas between Friday and Saturday.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/#?tab=heatHealth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
7 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

If it got 21.2C on the 26th February this year under this set-up. It was 19C up here in Manchester

CFSR_1_2019022612_1.pngCFSR_1_2019022618_2.png

I wonder what would have been the maximum have been if the same conditions happened on the 26th June?

February was better than June here

Posted
8 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

February was better than June here

June has been vile round these parts, with a capital V!!

I'm going to enjoy thur/fri/sat and hope for the best for July- fingers crossed we get a decent spell of summer weather !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
57 minutes ago, mathematician said:

What's so epic about suffering?

I’m sure the millions that are fed up with cloud, rain and cold this month would agree with you.

• Like 3

Posted

A yellow warning for strong winds has been issued for the south-west from 00:00 Thursday until 12:00 Friday

Some strong gusty winds are expected and may bring some travel disruption.

What to expect

• Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely
  • Probably some bus and train services affected, with some journeys taking longer
  • Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely

Easterly winds will become increasingly gusty on Wednesday night and remain so through Thursday and into Friday. Winds will be particularly gusty over and to the west of high ground with gusts reaching 35 to 40 mph widely and as high as 45 to 50 mph very locally.

Regions and local authorities affected:

• Cornwall
  • Devon
  • Isles of Scilly
  • Plymouth
  • Somerset

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Weatherdesk_Enquiries#?date=2019-06-28&id=8ae98b28-5feb-4e8b-ad94-86be8cccb234&details

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

This Summer has been incredibly dull here in Birmingham. It feels like everywhere else has had an 'okay' Summer so far, but for me it's been one of the dreariest in memory. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Summer in the Spanish interior or Australian outback, maybe. 

Looking at scorched, yellow/brown earth everywhere I went wasn't my idea of great, then there were moors fires breaking out. It was grim.

Give me sporadic convective rain events (to keep things fresh and green) followed by a few days of warmth and sun, all summer long.

Indeed - there is a happy medium between last year and 2007!  What you describe is a typical British summer - some dry and warm weather, with thundery periods and maybe a short period of cooler, Atlantic-driven weather in June.  Entirely useable, yet not devastating for farmers and growers, and without the risk of taps being turned-off and standpipes appearig in the streets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Why does this have to be an issue every 6 months? People like hot weather, people like cold weather. No one should be vindicated for liking/hating either of those weather types.

• Like 6

Posted
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

...it’s cool, cloudy and wet for 9/10months of the year with only a short window for Sun and heat. This summer is a complete failure so far.

Most of Eastern England was drier than average before last summer's heawave, after a dry 2017.  Late autumn last year saw the occasional month slightly above average in terms of rainfall, but February was dry and warm, March barely average, April saw around 9mm total rainfall (as compared with 45-50mm average), and May saw around 85-90% of average.  As of June 1st, the region had a 3-year shortfall of nearly a quarter of a metre of rain.  Your assumption (which enables you to stay unchallenged in your view that the summer months are the only interval in a continual deluge) seems to be that it was just a couple of months of dry-ish weather.  Sadly, this isn't the case - groundwater has been dangerously low, the river Cam in May was lower than at any point since people thought to measure such things, and reservoirs, where they exist (not many in this part of the country), are low as well.  We are one dry winter from standpipes and food shortages due to crop failures.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
2 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

June 2018 was bone dry whereas 2019 has been a washout.

It might have been where you are, but not here.

Dan Holley, Weatherquest meteorologist, on rainfall as of the end of May:

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1136146599913152514

May 2019 rainfall was 43.0mm, or 88% of the average - maintaining the recent trend for below-average rainfall. The deficit for the past 12 months is 173.5mm, or 28% of our average annual rainfall. The 3-year deficit is 221.8mm

(Emphasis mine)

spacer.png

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Why does this have to be an issue every 6 months? People like hot weather, people like cold weather. No one should be vindicated for liking/hating either of those weather types.

It's irresponsible for people to say they want unending heat and drought even after they've been told that it's had negative consequences, though.  There's personal preference as a concept without any context, which I don't argue against, and then there's "some people just want to see the world burn" which seems to be the moderator-supported position here nowadays.   I actually have a genuine question - if we were to see a week or two of 40-45C weather this summer in the UK, with the loss of life that would result (assuming a similar increase in the death rate to that seen in France in 2003), would I be allowed to discuss it as a negative consequene, or would I be told to be quiet and not mention it lest it be considered an infringement of heat lover's rights to express their preferences?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
13 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It's irresponsible for people to say they want unending heat and drought even after they've been told that it's had negative consequences, though.  There's personal preference as a concept without any context, which I don't argue against, and then there's "some people just want to see the world burn" which seems to be the moderator-supported position here nowadays.   I actually have a genuine question - if we were to see a week or two of 40-45C weather this summer in the UK, with the loss of life that would result (assuming a similar increase in the death rate to that seen in France in 2003), would I be allowed to discuss it as a negative consequene, or would I be told to be quiet and not mention it lest it be considered an infringement of heat lover's rights to express their preferences?

What people want has no influence on what the weather will do, so why is it irresponsible? This is a forum for people to enjoy talking about the weather, not being made to feel like a criminal for wanting something different from the next person. As I said before, why does this have to be an issue every Summer/Winter? 

I have no issues with a discussion on what a heatwave/severe cold may or may not cause (in the appropriate thread) but what I do have an issue with, is direct lectures to individuals on what the effects may be to humanity when all they seek is a weather preference.

It has to stop.

The guidelines are quite clear and have been for a while. If you have any more questions about it, I suggest contacting Paul.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

What people want has no influence on what the weather will do, so why is it irresponsible? This is a forum for people to enjoy talking about the weather, not being made to feel like a criminal for wanting something different from the next person. As I said before, why does this have to be an issue every Summer/Winter? 

I have no issues with a discussion on what a heatwave/severe cold may or may not cause (in the appropriate thread) but what I do have an issue with, is direct lectures to individuals on what the effects may be to humanity when all they seek is a weather preference.

It has to stop.

Understood.