Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

And no damn supercell! For crying out loud. I want a daytime darkness event

Haha! It’s a huge shame. With models showing temperatures into the mid 30’s and high humidities, it looked epic. Reality: cloudy and 22C Think you’ll have to pop over the Channel to see that supercell, ain’t happening here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Flooding around South Yorkshire now. Just been out in the car, lots of deep standing water in this all day torrential downpour, and we have some roads entirely flooded all the way across in some places. Dangerous conditions, people need to take care if going anywhere.

It is interesting to note that the rate of rainfall is many times heavier than that indicated on netweather's radar, and we've had over an inch fall today already.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Personally think it's 'refreshing' to see a poor summer month, we've had far more reasonable/decent summer months over the last 5/6 years than what we've had bad...and in these times of global warming, though this month's CET will still come out near normal or if not a jiffy above.

I know what I'm saying doesn't suit the sun lovers but who knows we might get a really good September to make up for it (2016) or a continuation of largely sunny warm October's...

Yeah, but you forgot the utterly crap series of summers before that. A warm September is nice but all a little too late. When the weather in the UK is pretty depressing for the majority of the year, it’s important to get a decent amount of sunshine and warmth in the short summer that you get. Doesn’t need to be a heatwave or arid spell, of course but something pleasant for most to enjoy outdoor activities.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Another awful June day here 

Currently 11.7c and pouring down.

We might squeeze a nice warm day on Saturday up here I'm hoping 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Today has been worse then forecast in Hull as that area of rain moving up from France has been very stubborn to clear. As a result temperatures have been really pegged back.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Cannot link from my phone however the next 2-3 weeks could be do or die time for summer prospects.

.. For the past month or so persistant and strong trades in the Pacific have held and defeated any attempt for westerly wind bursts to move into the Pacific at any great strength (our current pattern is the product of convection making it into the western Pacific around mid month and amplifying the mid-lattitude flow).

Current modelling however suggests that those trades will now relax with little tropical forcing either way beyond a relatively high Nino +GLAAM background.

The do or die point in the next 2-3 weeks is what happens when the next Indian Ocean wave attempts to move through the Pacific and the response if any from enhanced trades east of the dateline.

No response will see us being unlucky not to see a meaningful sustained spell ay least vaguely similar to last year. A hard response and cull of said westerlies will suggest that this Nino no longer has the strength to force the pattern and things may well get worse as summer goes on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

I think I can safely say this weather pleases absolutely nobody.  I hate it, because despite the cloudy skies it's still warm and very humid which makes it feel oppressive, but I doubt heat lovers are pleased either, due to the rain, damp and overcast skies.

I think we'll all welcome a change to something different.

Edited by Sir Mim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Yeah, but you forgot the utterly crap series of summers before that. A warm September is nice but all a little too late. When the weather in the UK is pretty depressing for the majority of the year, it’s important to get a decent amount of sunshine and warmth in the short summer that you get. Doesn’t need to be a heatwave or arid spell, of course but something pleasant for most to enjoy outdoor activities.

Crap summers before that?...okay other than 2012 and 2007, they weren't that bad (maybe compared to Prague), and a warm September is a 'little too late' for what?...for a sun tan. Lets be honest current trends particularly for the south and south east is for increased warmth and sunshine most noticeably in the spring and autumn months, not as bad as you're making out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Crap summers before that?...okay other than 2012 and 2007, they weren't that bad (maybe compared to Prague), and a warm September is a 'little too late' for what?...for a sun tan. Lets be honest current trends particularly for the south and south east is for increased warmth and sunshine most noticeably in the spring and autumn months, not as bad as you're making out.

i was living in West London during the summers of 2014, 15 and 16.. in those three summers only August 2014 and June 2016 were what i would term as relatively poor summer months..ie they were on the cool side and wetter than normal..other than that those summers were far better than virtually all of those in the 1980s

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

2008 and 2011 were dreadful. 

The only summers that has better spells of summer weather in that period were June 2009 and June 2010. With August 2009 and late May of that year being quite warm on and off. But overall they were still poor summers.

Posted
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i was living in West London during the summers of 2014, 15 and 16.. in those three summers only August 2014 and June 2016 were what i would term as relatively poor summer months..ie they were on the cool side and wetter than normal..other than that those summers were far better than virtually all of those in the 1980s

agree we do have some unsettled summer months (maybe not on the scale of this June of recent times) but very rare now days you get them 'back to back'...and yes my childhood summers other than 75/76 and most of the 80's were poor...stainesbloke would have never returned :oldlaugh:

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

They weren’t better than 1983/84 or 1989 summers. 

2016 was worse than most 1980s years.

Posted
48 minutes ago, Big daddy 49 said:

Here we go the doom merchants are out again, writing off July and August.Jesus,give it a rest please!If you can accurately predict the next 8 weeks,then you must be geniuses..

I love to doom it up!

• Like 1

Posted

2011 wasn't poor - more 'mixed', I remember it well as I was laid off work that summer, each month started very warm or hot from June right through to October for a varying amount of days.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I love to doom it up!

You do don't you!  2016 worse than most 80's summers...really? 1983 was just July certainly for heat and 1984 wasn't a bad one, so we agree on something. I remember the 80's particularly well as 90% of my teen years were out playing golf. 1989 wasn't a bad one either.

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

Cannot link from my phone however the next 2-3 weeks could be do or die time for summer prospects.

.. For the past month or so persistant and strong trades in the Pacific have held and defeated any attempt for westerly wind bursts to move into the Pacific at any great strength (our current pattern is the product of convection making it into the western Pacific around mid month and amplifying the mid-lattitude flow).

Current modelling however suggests that those trades will now relax with little tropical forcing either way beyond a relatively high Nino +GLAAM background.

The do or die point in the next 2-3 weeks is what happens when the next Indian Ocean wave attempts to move through the Pacific and the response if any from enhanced trades east of the dateline.

No response will see us being unlucky not to see a meaningful sustained spell ay least vaguely similar to last year. A hard response and cull of said westerlies will suggest that this Nino no longer has the strength to force the pattern and things may well get worse as summer goes on.

It can`t get any worse than this month,its the worst in living memory so far.

Things can only get better from now from what I can see.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

They weren’t better than 1983/84 or 1989 summers. 

2016 was worse than most 1980s years.

clue was in the word virtually..and no 2016 was not worse than most 1980s summers..June 16 wasn't great but the rest of the summer was decent

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
39 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

clue was in the word virtually..and no 2016 was not worse than most 1980s summers..June 16 wasn't great but the rest of the summer was decent

August 2015 was poor in London. Below average temperatures, very wet and very cloudy.

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=8&annee=2015

Posted
2 hours ago, Sir Mim said:

I think I can safely say this weather pleases absolutely nobody.  I hate it, because despite the cloudy skies it's still warm and very humid which makes it feel oppressive, but I doubt heat lovers are pleased either, due to the rain, damp and overcast skies.

I think we'll all welcome a change to something different.

For once, I completely agree with you.

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

August 2015 was poor in London. Below average temperatures, very wet and very cloudy.

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=8&annee=2015

2015 was warm and dry up until the 24th when it turned wet and cool in the last week...was still warmer than all but August 83,84 and 89 from the 1980s

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

2015 was warm and dry up until the 24th when it turned wet and cool in the last week...was still warmer than all but August 83,84 and 89 from the 1980s

A few over exaggerations on here in terms of bad summer months in recent times...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

For once, I completely agree with you.

Wimbledon will bring the change, although FI sucks! when today was in FI, a few runs suggested 28 degrees and sunny, turned out normal Spring day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
56 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

A few over exaggerations on here in terms of bad summer months in recent times...

Not really. August 2015 was cooler than average. It had over 200% of the average rainfall and about 60% of the average sunshine.

2011 was a terrible summer in London.

lhr2011.png

Edited by B87