Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
On 19/06/2019 at 12:33, Froze were the Days said:

We just missed out but the storms were to the east in the North Sea, but there were continuous lightning flashes and cloud to cloud bolts, 10th June 1994 was an absolute belter in the evening for storms which were more widespread and moved south to north.

I remember that storm I had just got back from Brownies and there were thousands of those flying ant things about. ( I’m sure it’s the same storm) they covered my parents car, it was incredible looking back on it but at the time I think I was sitting under the stairs like Harry Potter with my head between my legs crying. I was petrified of storms as a child. 

• Like 1

Posted

From something a few days ago looking that way we was on the cusp of a heatwave and possible breaking record temps to just 1 day heatwave is areal let down. Think we need high pressure in place for a few days then build our own heat that will be better than what we have.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
16 hours ago, danm said:

Met Office seem to think it’ll hit 29c/30c tomorrow in London, with 30c in the capital even on Wednesday and Thursday. Highest temperatures on Thursday will be further west in S Wales, W Country, SW England. Hotter again in the SE on Saturday before it turns cooler on Sunday. 

I posted this yesterday and I can’t understand the temperatures the Met have put in this video forecast. They had 29c for today in London (their app says 24c, BBC says 26c), 30c for tomorrow in London (their app says 23, BBC says 21c), 30c again for Thursday (app says 22c, BBC says 22c). What is going on here? I can’t see London hitting 29c today or 30c tomorrow/Thursday, so why do their video forecasts sometimes wildly overstate temperatures, even compared to their app (which uses raw UKMO data I know)? 

Very odd. 

Posted

Normal service seems to have returned this morning, over the last fortnight or so we've had summers going to be a write-off/washout followed by we're getting mega heat, eventually ending up with  standard British summer weather as in winter what shows 10 days down the line is pure la la land

• Like 1

Posted

I genuinely think I've had 3-4 days where the sun has made an appearance this month. That is shockingly awful for June. When the sun came out on Saturday and it touched 22 degrees, it felt absolutely roasting because i'm just not used to it. It's going to be an awfully long/depressing Autumn/Winter this year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Look at these temperatures for the start of July on GFS 0z 

image.thumb.png.7f159de8de2dc1df0f10f82212f4d1cc.png

It was warmer back in February!

• Like 1

Posted

Are we allowed to swear on here? My indoor tomato plants are dying for lack of sun and cool drafts. The school run was 14C and drizzle that stepped up to cold light rain for a few minutes. Some cars had headlights on over 4 hours after dawn, a few days after the summer solstice. I'm on the verge of putting some heating on on the house. Met online forecast is 15C for today and 17C for tomorrow.  Where is our record-breaking end to June, please?

We had a little sun at some point over the weekend. The temperature jumped 2-3C in minutes. It felt very warm as it jumped briefly to 21C. It felt quite hot because we are have not got used to warmth and sunshine in June. It's been garbage. I've only had windows open a few days and often had heating on. Just look at these temperatures and sun hours:

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03257&ano=2019&mes=6&day=25&hora=8&min=0&ndays=30

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I genuinely think I've had 3-4 days where the sun has made an appearance this month. That is shockingly awful for June. When the sun came out on Saturday and it touched 22 degrees, it felt absolutely roasting because i'm just not used to it. It's going to be an awfully long/depressing Autumn/Winter this year.

You really are full of the joys of summer aren't you?...but I'm sure you'd call it Autumn :oldrofl:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

It was warmer back in February!

I'll give you £50 of my hypothetical money if those temperatures are on the ball in the south/south east, if the sun is out then there is no way they will be near!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

You really are full of the joys of summer aren't you?...but I'm sure you'd call it Autumn :oldrofl:

Or I've genuinely had 3-4 sunny days (or at least days where the sun has made a significant appearance) in the summer month of June which is poor both statistically and anecdotally speaking. What do you want me to say? Lie and say "It's been a fantastic month here in Hampshire and I've had plenty of sunshine and warm temperatures befitting of summer?" - I apologise if my idea of decent (or even average) summer weather is far different to yours, but i'm sure you think it's been a fantastic summer 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I have found all this rather sadly amusing really. From excellent heatwave charts for 4+ days to now what we have here, 14 degrees and lashing it down with rain, a summer hater's delight, just like the first half of June. It is remarkable. People walking by with winter coats, hats and umbrellas outside. Maybe one day of above average temperatures this week. It is too funny.

I use a daily rating system for weather and June 2019 has been the worst month ever, the rating to date is 0.4/10. February was the highest scoring month, with 6.9/10. Like some above I haven't had more than about 40-50 hours of sun this month and the average high is still running 2°C below average. It certainly isn't going to increase much with the garbage maximum temps of the next few days and the month has twice the average rainfall now too! It can't not be a memorable stinker, for all the wrong reasons. 1.) coldest wettest first half in history 2.) failed heatwave which saw below average temperatures and rain, you'd almost think the "cut off low" was over us.

And if anyone is annoyed at my ranting too bad that's what this thread is for. I am a weather enthusiast so I get excited by the prospect of anything record breaking and it's sad to see it evaporate at the last minute into this below average rainy punce once again. I've also changed my avatar picture from that stupid smiling sun into something more appropriate for the blighty climate. 

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

I’d call it autumnal. What an utterly crap month. No joy, unless you’re a farmer or a duck. Even the farmers must be fed up now a bit and wanting some warmth and sunshine.

Unusual synoptic situation, though, currently with proper summer just being held back over the Channel. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted

Personally think it's 'refreshing' to see a poor summer month, we've had far more reasonable/decent summer months over the last 5/6 years than what we've had bad...and in these times of global warming, though this month's CET will still come out near normal or if not a jiffy above.

I know what I'm saying doesn't suit the sun lovers but who knows we might get a really good September to make up for it (2016) or a continuation of largely sunny warm October's...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The rain across northern England this afternoon looks to be far more extensive than shown last night 

download.thumb.png.1ac82635c3612f381f53aa5ffa9882b9.png7979.thumb.png.ed4925d674df35847704a4712cb49014.png

Posted

Must say current weather conditions definitely giving me an headache today  in my neck of the woods we have a brisk north wind yet rain has been quite easily heading up from the south but storms, sunshine and heat can't make it. hopefully Friday things will change for the better

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.

June will go down as one of the worst summer months, everything that can go wrong has gone wrong lol

• Like 1

Posted

Today is certainly worse than expected. Its currently overcast with drizzle, a temp of 13.8C and a 20mph northerly wind. 850hPa temps are currently around 10C, so it shows how they don't always translate to ground temperatures, even in summer.

Edited by reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Personally think it's 'refreshing' to see a poor summer month, we've had far more reasonable/decent summer months over the last 5/6 years than what we've had bad...and in these times of global warming, though this month's CET will still come out near normal or if not a jiffy above.

I know what I'm saying doesn't suit the sun lovers but who knows we might get a really good September to make up for it (2016) or a continuation of largely sunny warm October's...

We had plenty of bad summer months from 2007 to 2012. I don’t think the past few summers have made up for it.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

We had plenty of bad summer months from 2007 to 2012. I don’t think the past few summers have made up for it.

Agree with that.

The trend for better summers started again in 2013, but since then only 2014 and 18 were decent, with 2018 being the best. 2015-17 had spells of warm to hot weather,  but too many cooler cloudy spells cancelled out the decent weather. 

2017 was let down by a poor August and second half of July. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I’d call it autumnal. What an utterly crap month. No joy, unless you’re a farmer or a duck. Even the farmers must be fed up now a bit and wanting some warmth and sunshine.

Unusual synoptic situation, though, currently with proper summer just being held back over the Channel. 

And no damn supercell! For crying out loud. I want a daytime darkness event

• Like 1