Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
Just now, Djdazzle said:

As I said before, they are always well behind the pace. It was the same last summer.

6z another insane run. And it’s getting closer!

Yes I thought that, but this forecast was broadcast in last 20 minutes.   I think it won't be until Saturday that we get the low position pinned down

Well done on the new GFS for picking this up if this holds out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
24 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

No it really isn't though. UK warm spells don't have particularly high dew points. Try dewpoints 20+°C if you want to talk about humidity, almost unheard of in the UK even in warm spells. Europe outdoes us for higher dewpoints in the hot weather they get, even Sweden had dewpoints of 23°C last week, which is about higher than anywhere in the UK has ever recorded.

Looking through last summer's warmest days shows relative humidity average values lower than 50% in the UK (and this is compared to the mean temperature, not the max), which is dewpoints no higher than 11-12°C - not close to humidity when you think that places in the Midwest USA, and parts of Europe get dewpoints into the mid-20's.

I thought you'd mention last summer which for most of May, June and first half of July was true...but undoubtedly our dew points do rise as the summer wears on, as the Atlantic heats up. For most of last summer we had continental influenced conditions that doesn't always happen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
5 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I thought you'd mention last summer which for most of May, June and first half of July was true...but undoubtedly our dew points do rise as the summer wears on, as the Atlantic heats up. For most of last summer we had continental influenced conditions that doesn't always happen.

Higher dewpoints in UK warm spells are more likely in transient plume events such as the possibility next week, but this rarely is more than 2-3 days.  Even so I've not seen a DP over 21 in past such examples, or if it did it was one day. Don't think that's going to harm anyone, but it's more a case of people not being used to it - good thing then these plumes only last about 24 hours.

• Like 1

Posted

It certainly looks like it's going to be mighty sweaty and vile for sleeping in, which even for myself, is rather unpleasant. However, I'll suck it up and get on with it - just like I do in Winter when it's freezing cold and snowing - without coming in here to whine about it.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, jules216 said:

How contrasting to other parts of Slovakia, I guess me living just under the most thundery part of the country - Silicka Plateu we get thunderstorms regularly this week, like village of Bretka got insane 64mm rain in 2hrs, very moist humid air coming from Hungary does the job, very awkward for any outdoor planning, these can be very dangerous with insane lightning activity                                     

image.png

Actually I'm up to 2.3mm now. No idea where that extra 0.3mm came from.

Between now and Monday I'd be amazed if I don't get at least one thunderstorm. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

No it really isn't though. UK warm spells don't have particularly high dew points. Try dewpoints 20+°C if you want to talk about humidity, almost unheard of in the UK even in warm spells. Europe outdoes us for higher dewpoints in the hot weather they get, even Sweden had dewpoints of 23°C last week, which is about higher than anywhere in the UK has ever recorded.

Looking through last summer's warmest days shows relative humidity average values lower than 50% in the UK (and this is compared to the mean temperature, not the max), which is dewpoints no higher than 11-12°C - not close to humidity when you think that places in the Midwest USA, and parts of Europe get dewpoints into the mid-20's.

Last summer in Manchester we had at least one day with the dp close to 0c on an otherwise quite warm day. It was very pleasant, but it was weird to take a beer out of the fridge and have no condensation on it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

It certainly looks like it's going to be mighty sweaty and vile for sleeping in, which even for myself, is rather unpleasant. However, I'll suck it up and get on with it - just like I do in Winter when it's freezing cold and snowing - without coming in here to whine about it.

I tell you when you know for sure the heat is coming.... Everyone runs out of fans! Now may be the time to invest in one of these little gems.... And treble your money by selling it on Ebay.  Azazel I never had you down as the moaning type. You will be moaning next week its to hot, then the following week you will be moaning its to cold and how you hate our climate.. Your a one off mate...

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
59 minutes ago, Azazel said:

why not? it is a moan thread after all

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

BBC automated weather app now showing 31c for London on Wednesday.

Posted
13 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

You're not wrong - I generally interpret the function of the moan threads as a place for people to moan about lack of heat in summer and lack of cold in Winter - this is a weather enthusiast forum after-all.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

I tell you when you know for sure the heat is coming.... Everyone runs out of fans! Now may be the time to invest in one of these little gems.... And treble your money by selling it on Ebay.  Azazel I never had you down as the moaning type. You will be moaning next week its to hot, then the following week you will be moaning its to cold and how you hate our climate.. Your a one off mate...

I won't moan about it being too hot:p I also won't moan about it being too cold - UNLESS it's out of season, like it has been for the past few weeks. I will moan relentlessly if it's grey, wet and windy dross at any time of year though, you're absolutely right about that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Probably worth keeping a level head concerning next week. While it does look set to get much warmer, cloud could put half a dozen flies in the ointment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looks like the most notable thing about next week will be the humidity! In that respect, I’m quite glad I’ll be in sunny Malta, baking rather than boiling.

Still a bit miffed at missing the best opportunity for storms in ages though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Probably worth keeping a level head concerning next week. While it does look set to get much warmer, cloud could put half a dozen flies in the ointment.

Yes,  could be the difference between hot blue sky sunshine or oppressive stifling humidity. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Why oh why oh why, do odd socks keep going missing!:unknw::oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot
2 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

Yes,  could be the difference between hot blue sky sunshine or oppressive stifling humidity. 

I don't want either to be honest.  Roll on autumn!

• Like 1

Posted

How dry or how thundery is it going to be next week one thing for sure we have an easterly with a hot humid plume looks an like an unusual spell coming up next week,thundery outbreaks of rain later sunday maybe,hard to forecast next week.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
4 hours ago, danm said:

BBC automated weather app now showing 31c for London on Wednesday.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see that increase as next week draws closer.  35/36c next week in London?

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

"Feels like" temperatures are very high next week. The BBC weather app are displaying 22C at 01:00 in London next Wednesday with a "feels like" 27C.

On Wed afternoon at 17:00 is feeling like 37C in 30C heat. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Hoping next week we can get something similar temp wise as last year had 2 days in a row of 30 Celsius & 1 day of 31 amazing considering I’m by the coast and some big thunderstorms would be good aswell lacked them last year 

Edited by JK1
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, 38.5*C said:

"Feels like" temperatures are very high next week. The BBC weather app are displaying 22C at 01:00 in London next Wednesday with a "feels like" 27C.

On Wed afternoon at 17:00 is feeling like 37C in 30C heat. 

If you don't have air con next week will be horrendous in urban areas around London.

Posted

I think that's the peak from the eye candy heat models today, (see 'boom' for a winter comparison)

I would wait until Sunday before telling family and friends that we are gonna get buried in snow, oops, hail and sweat I mean.

Edited by DAVID SNOW
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.

One of the main problems with oppressive heat is the bugs grow to the size of Volkswagon Beetles.!!!!!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

If this goes the way it's looking like it'll go, there will be plenty of people moaning next week. There will be no escape from the humidity unless you have air con. 

What annoys me is the fact that the instability looks to be subsiding with every run. So it could be the worst of all worlds. Suffering humidity and heat with no pay off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

If this goes the way it's looking like it'll go, there will be plenty of people moaning next week. There will be no escape from the humidity unless you have air con. 

What annoys me is the fact that the instability looks to be subsiding with every run. So it could be the worst of all worlds. Suffering humidity and heat with no pay off.

I can understand that train of thought although thunderstorm forecasting can be like snow forecasting and events appear at short notice...

I can understand also if people don't like the heat next week, it won't be good for sleeping unless we get a keen easterly breeze. Thunderstorms and snow are my favourite forms of weather but severe cold and heatwaves come with some risk to the vulnerable. 

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1