Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Well despite the sun we are still only floating around 15/16C and with an accompanying howling breeze of the sea its more like mid October...actually would feel warmer then due to the warmer SST's.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Stunning today coming over the Pennies how much more growth there is on the hills,looks so much better than the parched landscape of last summer. The reservoirs are responding well,though many are still well down on usual levels at this time of year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Stunning today coming over the Pennies how much more growth there is on the hills,looks so much better than the parched landscape of last summer. The reservoirs are responding well,though many are still well down on usual levels at this time of year. 

Yes Mark, A much greener Summer so far here, Will hopefully get 3 cuts of silage this year instead of half a cut.

• Like 2

Posted

Still water leaking out under the rocks nowhere near as much now,take it a while to dry out,definately will be no water shortage this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Leaving Heathrow now for Prague, will be there until Thursday. Lovely weather forecast, hope to see some storms

21C61F87-608A-4E8F-B161-7001CD9FC039.png

Posted

The benchmark for a poor summer in recent times in 2012. That was a shocker, devoid of any heat, and just cloudy and thoroughly wet throughout, it came on the back of a very poor April and May as well.. The next benchmark is 2007 - another poor one. Summer 2019 has started on a note in the same vein to 2012, but I highly doubt it will end up anywhere near as bad as that year. There are signs things are about to take a turn for the better - nothing special in the immediate, plenty of time for summer proper come July. 

Summer 2013 started on a rather lacklustre note, but come July we endured the best conditions since summer 2006. June 1991 also a benchmark for probably the poorest summer month over the last 30 years, fortunes changed in July and the summer ended up being preety decent overall. 

Perhaps this summer will save its best weather for August.. something that hasn't happened for quite some time. Many summers of recent times have reserved the better conditions in the first half of the summer, last year was a case in point. Optimum time for heat and sunshine is probably mid July, still early enough to maximise sunshine levels, and with lots of summer still ahead it makes for a heady feeling.. come August that same feelings ebbs away I feel. A heatwave is June should be seen as a bonus, bit like a severe cold spell in December, generally warmest conditions occur in July and August, just as coldest weather usually happens in January and February.. we are always a bit impatient to bring seasonal goods as soon as the seasons change.. but there is always a lag effect from the season just gone - Dec, Mar, June and Sept can be very trying months in this respect for those wanting seasonal weather as the season they occur in:

March can often be cold and wintry, June, cool and unsettled, Sept warm and settled, Dec mild and very wet not snowy..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

don't think Summer '12 was that bad here, some good days in July, I only remember Sept 23-25th wettest spell ever

archives-2012-7-23-0-0.pngarchives-2012-7-26-0-0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
39 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

don't think Summer '12 was that bad here, some good days in July, I only remember Sept 23-25th wettest spell ever

archives-2012-7-23-0-0.pngarchives-2012-7-26-0-0.png

I seem to remember a good spell of weather around the time the Olympics was staged as well back in 2012

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

2019 142 (up to 14th June)
1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180

Posted

It's 15th June and I'm already fed up with this summer. Can't stand the disgusting heat with no reprieve. Another year where it feels like I live in south Italy. Mindblowing how quickly has climate changed here in the past decade.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180

So after half of June, 2019 is currently the worst summer ever? Sounds about right!

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

It's 15th June and I'm already fed up with this summer. Can't stand the disgusting heat with no reprieve. Another year where it feels like I live in south Italy. Mindblowing how quickly has climate changed here in the past decade.

It was pretty much 1st June when we completely changed from cold and wet to hot and dry. Last year summer started in the middle of Apríl. One benefit of all that rain in May is that the landscape still appears lush and verdant despite the heat. The downside is the mosquitos are much worse this year.

Are you still living near Ostrava? 

• Like 1

Posted

33C and a well-earned cold beer here. Waited ages in the hot sun to see the new president of Slovakia (who is being inaugurated today). Got within two feet of her and she blanked me when I tried to shake her hand.

Down to the high 20s with possible thunderstorms for the next few days. 

Edited by AderynCoch
typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Enjoying an Aperol Spritz on my balcony here in Prague, 32°C currently. It was sunny but thunderstorms have rapidly built to the E and are giving lots of rumblings (though they will not hit my location, maybe overnight)

952D4F17-C937-4E14-835B-9890EAD04DD3.jpeg

6ACAB042-7102-4B7F-87B4-06D3D1207A53.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted

A bet you are glad you are now in a country where interesting weather happens ,  back here in shitey blighty its 13c and yes with drizzle, the form horse   

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180

My god thats pretty shocking , its going to take quite a turnaround for anything like a decent summer index, cant see it happening,  I was suspecting this is turning out even worse that 2012, that confirms it .   It feels colder, there has been more annoyance rain , and seems even duller if that's possible, at least in 2012 we had a few good T storms , I have give up on looking for anything interesting , 

Posted

I’m glad to say I’m in glorious Latvian summer sunshine. It’s 24c this afternoon here, and it was in the low 30s a few days back.

Earlier this morning, midway between UK and Latvia we hit turbulence, and I noticed 2 or 3 large cloud tops and they had to be at least 25,000. Maybe those were the leftovers or new storms in the Poland/Germany region. It was quite bumpy for a good 6-7 minutes. Part of that is the Baltic Sea though.

Hope it improves for people back home in Blighty. It does feel like we’ve been cheated out of a decent June.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m glad to say I’m in glorious Latvian summer sunshine. It’s 24c this afternoon here, and it was in the low 30s a few days back.

Earlier this morning, midway between UK and Latvia we hit turbulence, and I noticed 2 or 3 large cloud tops and they had to be at least 25,000. Maybe those were the leftovers or new storms in the Poland/Germany region. It was quite bumpy for a good 6-7 minutes. Part of that is the Baltic Sea though.

Hope it improves for people back home in Blighty. It does feel like we’ve been cheated out of a decent June.

I was in Warsaw on mon/tues and it was 30 degrees.

Meanwhile now home and getting seriously sick of this horrendous weather.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, IanR said:

My god thats pretty shocking , its going to take quite a turnaround for anything like a decent summer index, cant see it happening,  I was suspecting this is turning out even worse that 2012, that confirms it .   It feels colder, there has been more annoyance rain , and seems even duller if that's possible, at least in 2012 we had a few good T storms , I have give up on looking for anything interesting , 

It comes to something that late February mild sunny spell this year has been  better than any spell during this June so far.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

It comes to something that late February mild sunny spell this year has been  better than any spell during this June so far.

Something clearly amiss here, you can have all the super computers you like combined with the myriad of background signals, and still no one was able to forecast this appalling start to summer.

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Are you still living near Ostrava? 

Yep, still here  Not near but in now as I moved to Ostrava two years ago.

10pm and the temp outside is still at 26C. Ugh.

Edited by daz_4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Something clearly amiss here, you can have all the super computers you like combined with the myriad of background signals, and still no one was able to forecast this appalling start to summer.

I don't think any super computer can ever predict the weather long term given the volatility of our climate in the UK. It's far easier to predict what will happen in Mediterranean climates like Spain, Portugal, Greece & California. Those places have hot sunny Summers virtually each year without fail. The UK climate is neither here nor there all year round. Been days last Winter when it was warmer than the June we're in right now. Who could have predicted that?

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
7 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I don't think any super computer can ever predict the weather long term given the volatility of our climate in the UK. It's far easier to predict what will happen in Mediterranean climates like Spain, Portugal, Greece & California. Those places have hot sunny Summers virtually each year without fail. The UK climate is neither here nor there all year round. Been days last Winter when it was warmer than the June we're in right now. Who could have predicted that?

me! warmer winters I believe in, snow on the decline fast

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

me! warmer winters I believe in, snow on the decline fast

Not in Latvia. It was very much a case of minus 15 degree with heavy snow between December and February, and now they have the heat over here.

UK climate is very unpredictable and we will get another snowy winter period again.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Not in Latvia. It was very much a case of minus 15 degree with heavy snow between December and February, and now they have the heat over here.

UK climate is very unpredictable and we will get another snowy winter period again.

Latvia, like many places rules! proper summers, proper winters, not 12 degree crap all year

• Like 2