Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

This video made me laugh SO HARD!

Warning: If you are offended by bad language, or are coldie who thinks 18 degrees is "hot weather", DO NOT WATCH.

Haha! Classic. My husband is an Aussie so I’ve lived through years of similar sniggers at what we call ‘heat’. Sums up the UK attitude to hot weather so well. We have one of the coolest summer climates in the temperate latitudes, and rarely does it get uncomfortable for more than very brief periods. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
43 minutes ago, Alderc said:

But the problem is for a good 6-8 months of the year, even 5C above average is still cold, in March if its 16c I still need a coat and its still dark by 6.30pm. We live in a cold / damp climate (IMO one of the most miserable in the World) with a short window of opportunity to get really warm conditions, get outside without coats / scarfs etc and enjoy a beer or wine in light clothes and take advantage on the light evenings. 

One thing I absolutely detest is are those comments 'If you don't like the climate just move' well its not that simple, if it was I reckon about the population of the UK would be about half what is now. There are clearly other things to consider, Parents / Children, wider family. I don't care for cold or snow, I can't stand it and last year was fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity to relocate with work to Tampa, Florida but unfortunately my Father passed away suddenly 10 weeks before my family were due to move, subsequently my Mother became ill and still is a year later, my employer has been incredible but its unlikely I'll be able to move for at least another year so as much as I am ABSOLUTELY pulling out what little hair I have at the thought having to spend another dreary, cold, damp and miserable evening sat inside with the heating on instead of having a glass of wine outside sat in the hot tub there's kinda a bigger picture to consider.

Sorry to hear about your family. Hope you get to move to somewhere more to your liking, soon. Agree with your comments, the window of warm weather is certainly brief in this country, we get chilly, cloudy conditions for most of the year, which is why decent summers are so vital here. It’s one reason we moved to Central Europe. I’m lucky that my job allows me to commute. I was getting pretty fed up with the UK climate, and that was living in SE England. 

Posted

I would love to move to Latvia. That’s where my partner comes from, but the job opportunities are not so good over there.

That being said, I never say never.

Even a mild winter over there will still have 3-4 weeks of snowfall, plus they will always have a hot spell between late May and mid August. Their summers are fairly short, but Latvia seems to have better summers in general.

• Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Alderc said:

But the problem is for a good 6-8 months of the year, even 5C above average is still cold, in March if its 16c I still need a coat and its still dark by 6.30pm. We live in a cold / damp climate (IMO one of the most miserable in the World) with a short window of opportunity to get really warm conditions, get outside without coats / scarfs etc and enjoy a beer or wine in light clothes and take advantage on the light evenings. 

One thing I absolutely detest is are those comments 'If you don't like the climate just move' well its not that simple, if it was I reckon about the population of the UK would be about half what is now. There are clearly other things to consider, Parents / Children, wider family. I don't care for cold or snow, I can't stand it and last year was fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity to relocate with work to Tampa, Florida but unfortunately my Father passed away suddenly 10 weeks before my family were due to move, subsequently my Mother became ill and still is a year later, my employer has been incredible but its unlikely I'll be able to move for at least another year so as much as I am ABSOLUTELY pulling out what little hair I have at the thought having to spend another dreary, cold, damp and miserable evening sat inside with the heating on instead of having a glass of wine outside sat in the hot tub there's kinda a bigger picture to consider.

Yeah, although I will say this. Even the poorest of summers will produce a couple of sunny warm spells. 

1993 was a very poor summer, and we still had some warm days in June, and August. July that year was awful though.

Posted
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Sorry to hear about your family. Hope you get to move to somewhere more to your liking, soon. Agree with your comments, the window of warm weather is certainly brief in this country, we get chilly, cloudy conditions for most of the year, which is why decent summers are so vital here. It’s one reason we moved to Central Europe. I’m lucky that my job allows me to commute. I was getting pretty fed up with the UK climate, and that was living in SE England. 

What job do you do, if you don’t mind me asking?

Well done for making the move.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I get fed up with the weather in this country a lot of the time and i live in the driest and one of the warmest spots in the UK. God knows how people living in the north and west cope!

• Like 1

Posted

See this is the thing. When people like Cheeky Monkey will bang on about how warm it was in 2004, 2016 etc, I like the point out how cloudy and miserable it was in those summers.

If the temperature is a cloudy and muggy 21-22c, it’s not a good summer in my opinion. Still dreary and depressing. 

The whole ‘warmer than average’ doesn’t always mean a good summer.

Posted
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I get fed up with the weather in this country a lot of the time and i live in the driest and one of the warmest spots in the UK. God knows how people living in the north and west cope!

Some people actually like the dull and cool summers, but I’m not one of them lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

June 2016 was technically very slightly warmer than average, mostly due to warm nights.

It was also the cloudiest June on record by far (101 hours here, 49% of average), smashing the previous record set in 2012.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Some people actually like the dull and cool summers, but I’m not one of them lol.

There are a few crazy souls that will enjoy this current weather for sure.

I can GUARANTEE you though....if you got 100 random people off the street and asked them if they'd prefer a cool and wet summer, or a sunny and warm one then probably 85-90+ of those 100 would go for the latter.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

What job do you do, if you don’t mind me asking?

Well done for making the move.

I work for an airline as long haul cabin crew. So at least I get away from the UK regularly. Pretty much everywhere I travel to (barring Vancouver and Seattle) have warmer summers than London, thankfully. Prague weather has been pretty rubbish this Spring but bang on June 1st, the sun started blazing and temperatures soared. No sign of pathetic 13C maximums there and there have been 3-4 decent thunderstorms already this month!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

There are a few crazy souls that will enjoy this current weather for sure.

I can GUARANTEE you though....if you got 100 random people off the street and asked them if they'd prefer a cool and wet summer, or a sunny and warm one then probably 85-90+ of those 100 would go for the latter.

Of course! That’s why millions jet off to Spain, Portugal, Greece, Florida, etc each year. 

Compared to many places in the world, the UK climate is quite uneventful and non extreme. The challenges here are the lack of sunshine, grey skies and too much wind. Nothing life threatening or crazy, but like slow Chinese water torture, it eventually makes you go mad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Talking of wettest months and miserable Summers.  Here's 2007, 2012 and 2019 (so far) for rainfall amounts for Heathrow, EGLL.   I've included 2018 for comparison.   It will take a lot for the 2007/2012 June's to be beaten, I'd say 2007 is easily reached, but 2012 will be harder.

image.thumb.png.88db3889960de2aaea0a10feb351bedc.png

Source MetOffice weather historical data!

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Weather onlines outlook for July and August

A mixed July

August wet North Scotland

*July* 

• An unsettled start, most rain north and west. 
  • Improving in south, mostly dry, sunny spells and milder. 
  • Always further risk of rain in north, cooler too. 
  • Litle rain in south through rest of month, showery north. 
  • Near average temperatures in north too. 

*August* 

• Little changes in August. 
  • Probably drier than average in the south, warmer than average too. 
  • Rain in Scotland and Ireland, especially the west. Drier in the east. 
  • Wetter than average northwest Scotland. Cooler here. 

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/reports/seasonal-outlook.htm

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Sounds like a very average July/August then, something like 1996 or 2005.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Looks like a pretty average July and August possibly being the best month of the summer. That’ll make a nice change 

Posted

Even a bang average August will beat this ‘summer’ month we are currently enduring! About time we had a really good August, they have been few and far between in recent years.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Even a bang average August will beat this ‘summer’ month we are currently enduring! About time we had a really good August, they have been few and far between in recent years.

Look at London's Augusts since 2000. Not a pretty sight after 2005 (with the exception of 2016). One thing we are well overdue more than anything is a hot and sunny August. For a month that is pretty much identical to July, it hasn't delivered.

2000: 23.2/14.0c, 211.4 hrs
2001: 23.5/14.5c, 210.9 hrs
2002: 23.3/14.7c, 190.4 hrs
2003: 26.4/15.7c, 255.3 hrs
2004: 23.8/15.1c, 213.8 hrs
2005: 23.2/13.0c, 250.4 hrs
2006: 22.2/13.5c, 140.2 hrs
2007: 21.5/12.9c, 192.6 hrs
2008: 21.5/14.2c, 104.3 hrs
2009: 23.9/14.1c, 167.6 hrs
2010: 21.6/13.2c, 110.9 hrs
2011: 21.8/13.4c, 144.1 hrs
2012: 23.5/14.3c, 182.6 hrs
2013: 24.3/14.3c, 198.7 hrs
2014: 21.7/12.7c, 183.6 hrs
2015: 22.2/14.1c, 134.1 hrs
2016: 24.7/14.6c, 201.4 hrs
2017: 22.0/13.5c, 174.9 hrs
2018: 24.5/14.5c, 182.1 hrs

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think folks might be forgetting the widespread snow event of early June 1975? :oldgrin:

The GFS 12Z is rolling out slower than a speeding snail, BTW!:unknw:

So today is the 12th day this summer not to reach 20C, last summer managed the same 12days not reaching 20C but that was across all 92days of summer. Pretty horrid given its only the 13th day of summer. I can't see us getting to 20C until at least the 17th at this rate. 

Also the 25.0C recorded on the 20th April......is still 2.4C warmer than anything recorded in May and 3.6C warmer than the 2nd of this month. Can't see another 25C (off which we had 43 last year) until least the last week of June. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
18 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

This is interesting. Possibly a cooling theme taking place over the next few months or so. 

has been one the coldest and wettest last 6 months across the USA not so much Canada though..although in my location we have just experienced the coldest Sept on record and the 3rd Coldest February on record.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

See this is the thing. When people like Cheeky Monkey will bang on about how warm it was in 2004, 2016 etc, I like the point out how cloudy and miserable it was in those summers.

If the temperature is a cloudy and muggy 21-22c, it’s not a good summer in my opinion. Still dreary and depressing. 

Coldest july day on record with NEly gales and plenty of rain but only 1/5 of this weeks rainfall.

Rrea00120040708.gif