Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

Nobody can write summer off yet, its the 12th of June, we've obviously been spoiled by the last 2 Junes being so good. 

Wait until July or August to even make that call.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

On the summer to winter point there is no real corelation (if anything there is a bigger correlation with colder winters being followed by cooler summers) however anecdotally i tend to believe that summers which end early tend to produce more favourable patterns but that may be because they dont keep the heat dragged out through Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
11 hours ago, mathematician said:

I can see that a lot of people are overreacting to the point of getting ridiculous

We come from months and months of temperatures that were way above average and now after not even a week of temperatures slightly under average you are all complaining and moaning like it's the end of the world...

If you like months and months of temperature constantly above 25° and little or no rain at all during the whole summer you are living clearly in the wrong country. I suggest you all move to some country in South Europe till you still can before Brexit kicks in

But complaining about the weather is a very British thing to do. And the majority of us on here are indeed British.

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
2019 147 (up to 12th June)
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, mathematician said:

I can see that a lot of people are overreacting to the point of getting ridiculous

We come from months and months of temperatures that were way above average and now after not even a week of temperatures slightly under average you are all complaining and moaning like it's the end of the world...

If you like months and months of temperature constantly above 25° and little or no rain at all during the whole summer you are living clearly in the wrong country. I suggest you all move to some country in South Europe till you still can before Brexit kicks in

I would agree with you, but "slightly below average" is disingenuous. Average high for June is 19 degrees - its struggled to reach 11-12 for days which is nearly 10 degrees below average(not slightly at all) and with that has been the absolutely relentless rain which you have neglected to mention.

Also, when we had the February "heatwave" - coldies were rightfully complaining - did you have a pop at them?

Nobody is overreacting, the weather has been absolute s**t.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Heating clicked on again last night, relentless rain, strong winds this is as bad as it can get in summer struggling to get above 12 degrees most days here.

Things can only get better 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

What’s the chances of River Thames stream increasing up to the point where the swim is cancelled in the Windsor Triathlon this Sunday ?  Currently there are no stream warnings on any part of the river!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

I would agree with you, but "slightly below average" is disingenuous. Average high for June is 19 degrees - its struggled to reach 11-12 for days which is nearly 10 degrees below average(not slightly at all) and with that has been the absolutely relentless rain which you have neglected to mention.

Also, when we had the February "heatwave" - coldies were rightfully complaining - did you have a pop at them?

Nobody is overreacting, the weather has been absolute s**t.

Average temps for the first week or so of June in southern and south eastern parts is about 19c so yes we have seen pretty low anomalies recorded...what sort of thermometer do you have?, you say it hasn't got above '11/12' for 'days' but here in the rain and breeze off the North Sea coast here in Essex on Monday we got above that (near 13c).

Some areas have been unfortunate and stuck under consistent cloud/rain and a nagging north easterly but this happens occasionally in summer when low pressure just doesn't move, I remember here in the south east in the last week of May I think in 2015 we had almost a week's worth of dull miserable drizzly cool/cold weather with a light easterly wind as a low remained stationery and gradually filled...it was like a week's worth of late Autumn!

Posted
17 hours ago, mathematician said:

A lot of people like cold winters and hot summers, which means above-average temperatures feel wasted in winter (as do below-average temperatures in summer). So I'm sure you can see how a flip to cold in June sticks in the craw for so many. 

It looks like Britain is getting what I got in May. A very mild February leading into a tame March, followed by a "meh" April and a cold, washout May made for a most vile spring from my perspective. I'd rather have a fail May/nice June pairing than vice-versa though, so I'm lucky in that regard. Pushing 30C here and it's only midday. 

Also, not wanting 11C with rain all day isn't the same as expecting heatwave conditions all summer. Most people just want to be able to go out in a T-shirt and enjoy some sunshine. 

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Posted
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

A lot of people like cold winters and hot summers, which means above-average temperatures feel wasted in winter (as do below-average temperatures in summer). So I'm sure you can see how a flip to cold in June sticks in the craw for so many. 

It looks like Britain is getting what I got in May. A very mild February leading into a tame March, followed by a "meh" April and a cold, washout May made for a most vile spring from my perspective. I'd rather have a fail May/nice June pairing than vice-versa though, so I'm lucky in that regard. Pushing 30C here and it's only midday. 

Also, not wanting 11C with rain all day isn't the same as expecting heatwave conditions all summer. Most people just want to be able to go out in a T-shirt and enjoy some sunshine. 

That’s how I feel. 

2018 was much more satisfying, and as was 2013. Both years produced cold or very cold snowy conditions in most parts of the country, and both cold periods were followed was warm and sunny summer periods. 

Although last winter was mild overall, we still had some chilly spells of weather, but the mild regime was the more noteworthy. Some nice spells in early spring were a welcome treat, but the cold and unsettled weather hasn’t fully vanished. Even back in March and April there were miserable spells, but now we have a poor start to summer, just seems like a kick in the teeth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Greetings from sunny Slovakia, after very windy April and cold and wet May, the weather changed in June to give us hot and sunny weather with this week being exceptional, over 6 degrees above average with weekend supposed to reach 35C. Can't complain with that since we had quite a bit of snow in Dec/Jan so ever since return from Ireland it has been quite variable, loving the continental climate, hope all in UK/IE will have some summer this year, at least of week unbroken sunshine.

11944.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

Absolutely this! 

The post you quoted is just nonsense.

Average June conditions would be most welcome, especially down here where it’s the driest and sunniest month of the year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Summer snow on the highest ground to Scotland,  surely not 

Screenshot_20190613-131504.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Summer snow on the highest ground to Scotland,  surely not 

Screenshot_20190613-131504.png

After 20-years' life in the Highlands, I think there was mountain snow in more summers than not.:oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

This video made me laugh SO HARD!

Warning: If you are offended by bad language, or are coldie who thinks 18 degrees is "hot weather", DO NOT WATCH.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mathematician said:

But the problem is for a good 6-8 months of the year, even 5C above average is still cold, in March if its 16c I still need a coat and its still dark by 6.30pm. We live in a cold / damp climate (IMO one of the most miserable in the World) with a short window of opportunity to get really warm conditions, get outside without coats / scarfs etc and enjoy a beer or wine in light clothes and take advantage on the light evenings. 

One thing I absolutely detest is are those comments 'If you don't like the climate just move' well its not that simple, if it was I reckon about the population of the UK would be about half what is now. There are clearly other things to consider, Parents / Children, wider family. I don't care for cold or snow, I can't stand it and last year was fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity to relocate with work to Tampa, Florida but unfortunately my Father passed away suddenly 10 weeks before my family were due to move, subsequently my Mother became ill and still is a year later, my employer has been incredible but its unlikely I'll be able to move for at least another year so as much as I am ABSOLUTELY pulling out what little hair I have at the thought having to spend another dreary, cold, damp and miserable evening sat inside with the heating on instead of having a glass of wine outside sat in the hot tub there's kinda a bigger picture to consider.

Posted
19 hours ago, mathematician said:

Say this to all the coldies who think we should be getting feet of snow every year and constant easterlies and whinge whenever it's mild and cloudy as is usual British winter weather as well then. Also, not everybody who wants summer weather wants a drought, wish that silly misconception would stop. I for one love heavy torrential downpours/thunderstorms throughout summer, especially in a hot summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Oh to see some ECM clusters turning up in the reliable like last summer...

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018070212_144.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Alderc said:

But the problem is for a good 6-8 months of the year, even 5C above average is still cold, in March if its 16c I still need a coat and its still dark by 6.30pm. We live in a cold / damp climate (IMO one of the most miserable in the World) with a short window of opportunity to get really warm conditions, get outside without coats / scarfs etc and enjoy a beer or wine in light clothes and take advantage on the light evenings. 

One thing I absolutely detest is are those comments 'If you don't like the climate just move' well its not that simple, if it was I reckon about the population of the UK would be about half what is now. There are clearly other things to consider, Parents / Children, wider family. I don't care for cold or snow, I can't stand it and last year was fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity to relocate with work to Tampa, Florida but unfortunately my Father passed away suddenly 10 weeks before my family were due to move, subsequently my Mother became ill and still is a year later, my employer has been incredible but its unlikely I'll be able to move for at least another year so as much as I am ABSOLUTELY pulling out what little hair I have at the thought having to spend another dreary, cold, damp and miserable evening sat inside with the heating on instead of having a glass of wine outside sat in the hot tub there's kinda a bigger picture to consider.

You and me both man, sorry to hear about your situation. I'm thinking of just upping and moving to Spain, can rent a fixed caravan over there and work over there , suits me down to the ground, as a low maintenance kind of person, and the climate there is just what I need! I actually get Seasonal Affective Disorder in summer in the UK it's so gloomy! Unlike what Mathetmatician went on about it's not only the cold temperature in summer but the ridiculous gloom, if I had to guess I'd say my town has had about 5-10 hours of sun so far this June, tops.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted

Current temperatures north of the Yorkshire Dales are bonkers. It's now 7-10C across Scotland and northern England. Cairngorm summit has been subzero all morning and shows snow on radar for the last hour - and people are saying we should not be able to moan at temperatures that must be flirting with record cold! It's a bit warmer here but it's still only 11.0C in my garden right now and that's about 10C below normal because I face south on a slight gradient so get better temps than local Met Office stations this time of year. If I can't moan at 10C below normal and lots of drizzle, when can I moan, please?

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03065&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2019&mes=06&day=13&hora=12

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

In my previous office in Tallaght(Ireland) now 9.6C
In my home office in Roznava(Slovakia) now 31.2C

That  21.6C difference is probably greatest I have experienced between these locations

image.png

image.png