Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

June monsoon kicked in here, today; albeit not monsoon temps; currently 10c, cold and raining heavily. Defo not June weather, more like March or late October.

May wasnt too bad here; plenty of warmish days and quite dry. Off to sunnier climes on Friday to the Adriatic and Corfu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I feel like this summer so far reminds me of wet cool dull Sundays in the 80s, watching Bullseye(innnnnn 1!), Songs of Praise, Highway, and Last of the Summer Wine on tv. 

What all 10 days of it so far...blimey us 'coldies' have to wait a dam sight longer in the winter and in some cases kept waiting right through the season, I think the last few days have been a reminder of what our summers can be like though we have been spoilt since 2013.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Got to say this is up there with one of the most unusual weather events in summer months I've witnessed in my lifetime, especially as it is a rain event happening in June! Makes a change for the heaviest of the rain to be in the southeast and not the northwest. Add this to the warm wave in February, and no doubt we will have a heatwave in October...

Posted

With having such a good summer last year. I kinda think its not so  miserable a feeling for some so far this summer.

I know myself. if we don't have much of summer this time around. I wont be so down beat. Tonight for instance Is more like November than the middle of June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
29 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

What all 10 days of it so far...blimey us 'coldies' have to wait a dam sight longer in the winter and in some cases kept waiting right through the season, I think the last few days have been a reminder of what our summers can be like though we have been spoilt since 2013.

There's one thing about it...I absolutely crave a proper blizzard this coming winter!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Looks incredibly cool and unsettled over here as well which is unusual for this time of year..its like a British summer cool and showery with longer spells of rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Got to say this is up there with one of the most unusual weather events in summer months I've witnessed in my lifetime, especially as it is a rain event happening in June! Makes a change for the heaviest of the rain to be in the southeast and not the northwest. Add this to the warm wave in February, and no doubt we will have a heatwave in October...

We seem to be having extremes of everything in the last 10 years.

• Like 1

Posted

Made my first foray onto a proper dual carriageway tonight after passing my test fairly recently (had no choice - was forced to take the missus to hospital).

i’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve never seen conditions as bad as this evening in June in my lifetime. This would be considered horrendous in December. It’s quite remarkable really.

sure enough, minutes after I left the A303, a car aquaplaned and caused a collision.

The journey was genuinely terrifying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
22 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Made my first foray onto a proper dual carriageway tonight after passing my test fairly recently (had no choice - was forced to take the missus to hospital).

i’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve never seen conditions as bad as this evening in June in my lifetime. This would be considered horrendous in December. It’s quite remarkable really.

sure enough, minutes after I left the A303, a car aquaplaned and caused a collision.

The journey was genuinely terrifying.

i have been driving for 30 years and driving in torrential rain on busy roads you really do need your wits about you..i would much rather drive in a blizzard than torrential rain..fortunately i have lots of practice at both..unfortunately there are lots of idiots who drive the same way regardless of the conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It happens EVERY single time. Whenever we have an unusually warm spell early in the year (in this case it would be late Feb) we always seem to pay for it once June arrives. Whilst a warm spell early in the year is nice at the time, it does generally seem to be a bad sign weather wise.
I also have a feeling that this year's June is going to turn out to be as bad as June 2012. Certainly looking that way so far. 

• Like 1

Posted

I came downstairs today and it was freezing. I don't usually feel the cold until mid October. You can feel a change in the feel of the weather by then. Usually even if its pouring down in June it feels on the mild side.The current weather set up. Is just weird.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
2019 155 (up to 10th June)
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Do I really see something more normal for next week in the forecast? London looks to be dry with temps of 22-25c.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, B87 said:

Do I really see something more normal for next week in the forecast? London looks to be dry with temps of 22-25c.

Yes. Thank god.

Us warmsters, Heaties need something to cheer us up. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
2019 155 (up to 10th June)
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

I expect to see this month moving up the rankings from the weekend onwards.

Posted
18 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

are they proper mozzies like the ones that you get here..big aggressive barstewards that literally eat you alive?

I don't know enough to compare. They're certainly not as bad as the malaria-spreading ones you get in places like Africa, more a nuisance than anything else. Some people seem to get targetted more than others too: I know one unfortunate soul who gets eaten alive as you say. I don't get picked on myself, I just can't stand the high-pitched buzzing when they go near your ear.

There's always some degree of mozzie nuisance around here in summer due to the sluggish nature of the Morava River and the marshy areas around it but it looks like this year will be especially bad. Flies and insects in general tend to abound as well. 

Posted

I’m going for a warm and settled early to mid July period, with sunny clear periods. Turning more humid and thundery after the middle, and cooler unsettled weather taking over for the start of the school holidays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

I’m going for a warm and settled early to mid July period, with sunny clear periods. Turning more humid and thundery after the middle, and cooler unsettled weather taking over for the start of the school holidays.

no need for court 1 roof then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think we will see an average July in terms of temperatures, rainfall and sunshine. It won't really get hot until the last week, when we will finally see some 30c days.

August will start well, but after the first week quickly collapse to below average temps and sunshine, as is tradition these days. 

Posted

Posted this just now in South West regional thread; worth repeating in here:

Midday, 11th June.

9.5c and chucking it down, with a biting NE wind.

I cannot remember a June day like this in my lifetime. I'm sure someone will find a few in meto historical data.

Posted

Coldest June day in London reported as 9.4C high by Weather-history on 19th at Greenwich in 1903:

Kenley's 24hr high was 10.8C at 8am and 9pm but it was only 8.5C at 3pm and 4pm:

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03781&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2019&mes=06&day=11&hora=11

It's now a balmy 11.5C here, in comparison, though strangely has yet to drizzle enough to wet the floor.

As for rain elsewhere:

Maximum Precipitation Last 24h - 06/11/2019 at 11:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1Holbeach (United Kingdom)0346    75 mm

2Wainfleet (United Kingdom)03392    70 mm

3Cranwell (United Kingdom)03379   62 mm

4Kenley (United Kingdom)03781   53 mm

5Coningsby Royal Air Force Base (United Kingdom)03391   51 mm

6Farnborough (United Kingdom)03768   45 mm

7Plymouth (United Kingdom)03827   45 mm

8Waddington (United Kingdom)03377   44 mm

9Liscombe (United Kingdom)03710   42 mm

10Odiham (United Kingdom)03761   42 mm

11Dunkeswell Aerodrome (United Kingdom)03840   39 mm

12Wittering (United Kingdom)03462   37 mm

13Nottingham Weather Centre (United Kingdom)03354   35 mm

14London / Heathrow Airport (United Kingdom)03772   34 mm

15Scampton (United Kingdom)03373   33 mm

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The wettest place in the UK yesterday was officially Kenley with 53mm falling in the 24 hours to 9pm yesterday