Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Not the same at all. I can't sleep without a cover. It impacts on my life sleeping without a cover, I very much doubt wearing a coat will prevent anyone going about their daily routine.

It is essentially the same. If it’s cold, put a coat on. If it’s too hot at night, don’t sleep under a cover, or at least just a sheet. There are ways round everything.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That'll help the concrete grow!

Not the concrete mate. 

Parks, gardens, allotments etc etc. 

18.4mm already today. Well impressed, for June. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

It is essentially the same. If it’s cold, put a coat on. If it’s too hot at night, don’t sleep under a cover, or at least just a sheet. There are ways round everything.

Damp cloth over the forehead helps if it’s too hot. 

Posted
34 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I'm the other way, I don't rate June, nearly always cool and wet, August much warmer due to SW'lys and much warmer seas, regularly makes 20 degrees in August

June has usually been better for sunshine and longer spells of warm weather since the late 2000s. August used to be better than June pre 2006. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, B87 said:

Most days in summer are above 20c here anyway, but August is usually cloudy and wet, and in the last decade a whole 1c cooler than the LTA.

June outperformed August in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 here.

June 2009 was better than August that year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

June 2009 was better than August that year. 

June had a few 30c days while August had none, but August had no days below 20c. June averaged 22.8c while August 23.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Aleman said:

Kenley Aerodrome (South London) at 5pm - 8.5C. Wonderful!

https://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/kenley

warmer in 6 months

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Close the windows during the day and open them at night. Basic procedure in keeping a house cool in summer.

I live in an old town house that tends to trap heat upstairs in the summer, where downstairs can stay much cooler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I live in an old town house that tends to trap heat upstairs in the summer, where downstairs can stay much cooler.

Yes our house, although not too old traps in the heat and during the little hot spell we had upstairs was 27c in our room and 28c in bubs. Even with windows open and fans it never dips past 25c. Last year it was hitting 30c during the heat wave, and i'm also someone who needs a cover to sleep, so it's one reason i'm not a summer person. I hate the hot nights.

Thankfully with all the windows open, the cooler temps and breeze rooms are now 23c, but went down to 19c at some point and kicked on the heating, so can't win really.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

June has usually been better for sunshine and longer spells of warm weather since the late 2000s. August used to be better than June pre 2006. 

June 05 and 04 were definitely better than the August’s.

Posted
18 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

June 05 and 04 were definitely better than the August’s.

August was warmer in both years. June sunnier in 2004, August sunnier in 2005.

Posted

Who knows what summer will be like overall.. we've had both good and poor summers after poor starts to June. 

Yes the next week or so looks poor but beyond that the models etc are unreliable (and some show an improvement anyway).

The weather's not been too bad in my particular location, Friday morning was wet, otherwise mostly just some showers around but also a fair amount of usable weather good for outdoor exercise, and ok amounts of sun. Not much sun this afternoon but had thunder rumbling past instead.

I can understand the frustration, I am guilty of it myself sometimes especially when looking at heat/storms on the near continent, but there's some over the top moaning and writing off going on. About as silly as writing off a winter because the first half of December was mild.

We get temps 10C+ above average at times (e.g Easter, various times last year), so of course you should expect this to be balanced by below average temperatures in the long term (either 10C+ below average, or longer stretches of slightly below average weather), but it seems some don't.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
56 minutes ago, B87 said:

August was warmer in both years. June sunnier in 2004, August sunnier in 2005.

August is on average 0.9C warmer regardless.

August 04 was possibly the most humid month experienced in the UK. Warm and very wet.

The second half of June 05 remains the hottest since 1976 and the mid-June to Mid July period one of the best.

Posted
21 hours ago, Lauren said:

I guess what we're saying is obviously have a moan, but is it really necessary to say exactly the same thing every day, even multiple times a day if nothing's changed?

I take your point that the line isn't necessarily a clear one and I guess that will come down to discretion. For example if you were to have a bit of a repetitive moan on the odd occasion, amongst other things, that'd be fine. But if your entire modus operandi is the same moan over and over again ad infinitum, then I think it's fair to say it's overkill.

Is that a bit clearer?

Yes, moaning multiple times a day would be odd and likely to get reactions.

A daily moan lol , would be ok, or ramp for that matter if the summer weather (whatever that may be) is to a members liking?

Posted
16 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

August is on average 0.9C warmer regardless.

August 04 was possibly the most humid month experienced in the UK. Warm and very wet.

The second half of June 05 remains the hottest since 1976 and the mid-June to Mid July period one of the best.

For some reason I can never remember 2005 at times. I recall August being warm and sunny and parts of late May and June being warm. July seemed cooler and wet from memory. 

Posted

I feel like this summer so far reminds me of wet cool dull Sundays in the 80s, watching Bullseye(innnnnn 1!), Songs of Praise, Highway, and Last of the Summer Wine on tv. 

Posted
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Much better than stifling heat, scorched and dusty landscapes like we had last year. Everything actually looks green and vibrant. Nice to sleep in at night too.

I don't think last summer was that bad for stifling heat. For such a good summer, there wasn't that much extreme heat. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

For some reason I can never remember 2005 at times. I recall August being warm and sunny and parts of late May and June being warm. July seemed cooler and wet from memory. 

I think if 2005 had been sandwiched between 2004 and 2007 it would be remembered more. It took a while to get going as May and early June were quite cool, albeit not overly wet. The warm/hot periods (here at least) were 17th-29th June, 08th-18th July, 08th-12th August, 15th-18th August, 28th Aug - 10th September. In among all that was a brief unsettled spell around mid June, an unsettled blip to see in July, an atrocious final week of July that included the famous Birmingham tornado, a lot of fine but unremarkable weather in August,  and a brief Atlantic spell in the final full week of August. Late June, late August and the first half of September brought some fantastic thundery spells.

All in all in a good summer in my opinion. Dry overall too.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I don't think last summer was that bad for stifling heat. For such a good summer, there wasn't that much extreme heat. 

No, it was just incessant, which made it feel more tortuous than a typical 3 day wonder.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Big daddy 49 said:

I bet July and August liven up nicely?.

Hopefully in terms of storms! 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Big daddy 49 said:

I bet July and August liven up nicely?.

I was predicting a poor June, average July and poor August back in May.