Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Dreadful, isn’t it? Ok, there probably is need of some rain, as many have pointed out over the last few months. But I don’t understand why it has to be so chilly with it? A truly pathetic maximum of 14°C forecast for Heathrow tomorrow ? Not much better for the week ahead, either. 

Here in Prague, after a cooler, cloudier  and windy day yesterday, it’s sunny today and 26°C. Temperatures for the coming week will be into the upper 20’s-low 30’s°C with increasing chances of thunderstorms towards the weekend. Isn’t hard to decide which set of conditions I prefer

You lucky git. 

I wonder if daytime darkness events are more common over in that part of Europe.

I’m obsessed with daytime darkness storms. I keep banging on about August 1981, but I wish we would get another storm like that. 

38 years on, and London hasn’t seen a storm like that. 

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yes I remember it being warm and sunny at the time of the Live Aid concert. Sure I recall some altocumulus castellanus as well.

I remember it being warm around that period in August 1987. The forecast was for the storms for the SE but they then had it affecting more parts of England and Wales which they did. There was some really big altocumulus castellanus that Friday evening. 

It was a hot sunny period, but the Friday afternoon became more humid and still. The storms were flickering from 8pm in the distance, to our south. I was living in Chelsea at the time, in west London. By that stage of the summer, the nights are drawing in, so in reality it was a late evening storm, but became a night time storm. We got hit around 9pm, and the storms lingered for an hour or two. Then we had another storm move in during the night around 2-3am.

At that age, I used to think it was the same storm returning, but my mum explained to me it was another wave moving in. 

We also heard rumbles during the Saturday afternoon. Quite a memorable thundery spell, for those who witnessed it.

Posted
4 hours ago, Mattwolves said:

Good post, I've always been a believer of, if you wish for something long and hard enough that eventually it will come true. Having a bit of rain and unsettled conditions is one thing, wanting it all the time bemuses me!! I mean how much time can you spend outdoors, either for leisure or working in it, if conditions are that poor all the time. 

Hardly any at all. Which is depressing. Outdoor activities are hampered when there’s periods of rain or cool and cloudy conditions. Although, the latter is ok if it’s dry, but most people will be happier with sunny dry weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

You lucky git. 

I wonder if daytime darkness events are more common over in that part of Europe.

I’m obsessed with daytime darkness storms. I keep banging on about August 1981, but I wish we would get another storm like that. 

I’m very lucky!

I reckon daytime darkness from storms is quite rare anywhere but more likely to happen in parts of mainland Europe. They get more storms than the UK and many are quite severe. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

You lucky git. 

I remember the severe storm that hit the West Midlands in late May last year bringing some very low light levels.  The worst of the storm hit us between 6:30-7PM and it went so dark the streetlights came on. It was certainly the darkest I've seen it go during a thunderstorm during the day.  Incredible amounts of rain and plenty of lightning too.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

I remember the severe storm that hit the West Midlands in late May last year bringing some very low light levels.  The worst of the storm hit us between 6:30-7PM and it went so dark the streetlights came on. It was certainly the darkest I've seen it go during a thunderstorm during the day.  Incredible amounts of rain and plenty of lightning too.

I think we got those storms on the Saturday night. They seemed to be quite widespread and not just confined to the London and south east. 

Those storms were violent.

Posted

Actually late May and early June 2018 did see a thundery period. Also some time in mid July had rumbles of thunderstorms in London and other areas. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
21 minutes ago, Sir Mim said:

Sunday of Whit wasn't it? remember seeing the storms to my south, never made it oop norf, so missed it

Posted
26 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I’m very lucky!

I reckon daytime darkness from storms is quite rare anywhere but more likely to happen in parts of mainland Europe. They get more storms than the UK and many are quite severe. 

Euro 2012 game between Ukraine and France. It went completely dark around 5pm. They had to stop the game for an hour. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

You lucky git. 

The afternoon/evening storm in late May 2018, the July 2014 storms and the overnight storms on 23 June 2016 were the most impressive I've seen in recent years.

Posted
14 minutes ago, B87 said:

The afternoon/evening storm in late May 2018, the July 2014 storms and the overnight storms on 23 June 2016 were the most impressive I've seen in recent years.

Yes July 2014 after the Brazil World Cup were good. Also July 2017 had some strong overnight storms. 2016 was also good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I was working in the West End in London in August 1981 and can remember it going very dark during the day as the thunderstorm struck. One if the best that I have seen in the UK.

I have vague memories of a great storm that hit the Oxford area in July 1967. We were camped by the Thames near Oxford and had to evacuate the site as the river flooded. We just got out in time. 

Up here in Eastern Scotland by far the best thunderstorm that I have witnessed was the overnight storm on the second July 2015 though I did see a few good storms as a youngster in the Highlands.

The other notable event here more recently was the 12 hours of thundersnow we got on the 28th November 2010 in which  lightning severely damaged a number of buildings in the town.

Meanwhile quite pleasant if coolish end to the day here today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just a polite notice:

I know we all have different weather preferences, but constant repeated posts saying the same thing with nothing that adds to the thread will be removed. Makes things a bit repetitive otherwise. The odd repetitive post is fine, but when we're getting about 20 different posts from the same user that's a variation on exactly the same thing, it gets a bit tedious.

Ta

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Norrance said:

I was working in the West End in London in August 1981 and can remember it going very dark during the day as the thunderstorm struck. One if the best that I have seen in the UK.

I have vague memories of a great storm that hit the Oxford area in July 1967. We were camped by the Thames near Oxford and had to evacuate the site as the river flooded. We just got out in time. 

Up here in Eastern Scotland by far the best thunderstorm that I have witnessed was the overnight storm on the second July 2015 though I did see a few good storms as a youngster in the Highlands.

The other notable event here more recently was the 12 hours of thundersnow we got on the 28th November 2010 in which  lightning severely damaged a number of buildings in the town.

Meanwhile quite pleasant if coolish end to the day here today.

I was at home, as it was the school holidays during the 81 event. 

2010 was great for cold and snow, at both ends of the year. November and December 2010 were the best cold and snowy periods. That December was freezing, even in London. Daytime highs struggled to reach 0c.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Sunday of Whit wasn't it? remember seeing the storms to my south, never made it oop norf, so missed it

There was a severe storm in London on the night of the 26th, and that was Saturday. The Sunday one was much further north. I think that might have been the storm someone filmed from 30-40 miles away, north of Watford or something. 

I remember another distant thunderstorm on bank holiday Monday of whit, and heavy thundery downpours during the Tuesday afternoon in the London area.

Posted

A polite question if I may:

It the same user or any other member for that matter wishes to moan, or ramp about the weather on a daily basis then this is the dedicated thread for them?

If the weather is the same or similar every day for two weeks I take it a daily dose of ramping or moaning will not be tolerated?

Can of worms here(imo) is once every two days ok or three, or once a week?

To me anyway, if a member wishes to post about their weather   on a daily basis that constitutes a ramp or moan from them, then that's fine by me.

The thread title is quite specific.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

A polite question if I may:

It the same user or any other member for that matter wishes to moan, or ramp about the weather on a daily basis then this is the dedicated thread for them?

If the weather is the same or similar every day for two weeks I take it a daily dose of ramping or moaning will not be tolerated?

Can of worms here(imo) is once every two days ok or three, or once a week?

To me anyway, if a member wishes to post about their weather   on a daily basis that constitutes a ramp or moan from them, then that's fine by me.

The thread title is quite specific.

I guess what we're saying is obviously have a moan, but is it really necessary to say exactly the same thing every day, even multiple times a day if nothing's changed?

I take your point that the line isn't necessarily a clear one and I guess that will come down to discretion. For example if you were to have a bit of a repetitive moan on the odd occasion, amongst other things, that'd be fine. But if your entire modus operandi is the same moan over and over again ad infinitum, then I think it's fair to say it's overkill.

Is that a bit clearer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I was at home, as it was the school holidays during the 81 event. 

2010 was great for cold and snow, at both ends of the year. November and December 2010 were the best cold and snowy periods. That December was freezing, even in London. Daytime highs struggled to reach 0c.

In 2010 it got down to almost -18C here on my weather station. Recorded -17.7C. Deep snow, huge icicles hanging everywhere, river frozen solid. Fantastic memories.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3