Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

June 1986 is pretty underrated, the second half of that June was pretty decent. The month coincided with the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, I remember some very warm sunny days at the back end of that month. Overall, it was probably the best summer month out of that period from June 1985 to August 1988. 

Yes, I do remember June of 1986 being warm or even hot for a time. We had a school day trip to France(first time abroad lol), by ferry and stayed on the beach all day. I remember the ferry crossing coming back and seeing the Dover cliffs on return. It was a clear blue sky summers day, all the way down to France. 

I also vaguely remember Raiders Of The Lost Ark was on the tv during that time lol.

However, while June 1986 was warm or hot at times, I remember July 1985 having some hot weather around Live Aid, and also August 1987 being quite hot. The week of the Hungerford Massacre hot and sunny, then the thunderstorms arrived on the Friday night. 

• Like 1

Posted

Car thermometer was showing 7.5c in heavy rain this time yesterday in the Peak District. Granted that was at a modest 450m altitude, but that's still a very chilly June daytime temperature. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Interestingly, those talking about post-apocalyptic Saharan U.K. and wishing for a grotty summer because they can’t stand temperatures above 15 degrees and sunlight a few weeks ago will now have their cake.

the relentless and heavy rain is going to run right off the dry ground and quite possibly ruin a lot of crops and cause flooding misery for many.

I’m sure they’ll put a positive spin on it though because at least they won’t be sweaty.

Good post, I've always been a believer of, if you wish for something long and hard enough that eventually it will come true. Having a bit of rain and unsettled conditions is one thing, wanting it all the time bemuses me!! I mean how much time can you spend outdoors, either for leisure or working in it, if conditions are that poor all the time. 

Edited by Mattwolves

Posted

I’m just fed up now. Heating on again last night. The bills are going to be high. Still taking vitamin D supplements and wearing my winter coat to work in June. This winter is going to be painful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I must be very lucky with my metabolism, as I'm happy with anything between, say, 15 and 25C; it's the outliers that cause me problems...:oldsmile:

Edit: nae much point in posting today's 06Z/FV3: they're hardly that different from their recent garbage...Great continuity though!:oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Personally it's looking very good until at least the last part of June,no sign of the heat and humidity of last year,working conditions fingers crossed will be much better. Finding this set up a huge relief after 2018,that one i suffered in.

Another day and you repeat the same old line..

One thing I wanted to point out, last years heat didn't come with high humidity. In fact, May, June, July and most of August saw very low humidity levels.

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Interestingly, those talking about post-apocalyptic Saharan U.K. and wishing for a grotty summer because they can’t stand temperatures above 15 degrees and sunlight a few weeks ago will now have their cake.

the relentless and heavy rain is going to run right off the dry ground and quite possibly ruin a lot of crops and cause flooding misery for many.

I’m sure they’ll put a positive spin on it though because at least they won’t be sweaty.

Yeah agreed. 

It’s depressing how cool and unsettled it’s been. It’s not been terrible, but it’s disappointing maybe given the last couple of Junes being on the decent side. 2017 had a good June spell, but August let that summer down. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

One thing I wanted to point out, last years heat didn't come with high humidity. In fact, May, June, July and most of August saw very low humidity levels.

That’s right. It was a nice dry hot heat. We still had some very warm to hot nights between mid June and early August, but I only remember the humid conditions in parts of July. 

Summer 1997 was worse for humidity and that summer in my opinion wasn’t great. 

July 1983 was also very humid. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Exactly, humidity was regularly around 30% during the heat last summer. But if you don’t like hot weather, it’s easy to spin a false narrative to suit your own agenda. 30c with 30% humidity is not humid.

Go down to the tropics and have 30c with 80% humidity if you really want to understand what humidity is and means.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Another whinge while I’m here....I’ve been mentioning for a while in the model thread that there will be flooding and incessant rain with this kind of set up (100+ mm in places over 10 days) only to be told that it won’t be that bad/the models won’t model it right/they always overdo rainfall blah blah.

Well guess what? There is now a weather warning out for my region for 40-60mm rainfall on Monday and Tuesday alone. A months worth in 2 days. Is that not severe enough for some people?? Or will they just carry on pretending that it’s not really that bad and people like myself are over exaggerating. Get with it people, this is the worst period of summer weather for a while, and in places up there with all time bad.

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

So i take it having a view on means nothing now,i found many times last summer humid,is that a problem? Another day,same attack on my view from yourself. It is just my take on the feel on the weather. I work in conditions far in excess of 30c plus and 90 percent humidity,i know what it feels like every day,regardless of time of year.

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

So i take it having a view on means nothing now,i found many times last summer humid,is that a problem? Another day,same attack on my view from yourself. It is just my take on the feel on the weather.

You cannot keep using the excuse 'having a view'

There's having a view, then there's blatant posting of the same thing nearly every day in this thread, and it's only to get a reaction from other posters, nothing more. Quite frankly, I have yet to see you post anything worthwhile in any other weather related thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

It did here towards the end of the drought - you're right in saying that most of the period was characterised by dry heat, but it became horribly close and humid here latterly - I was seeing relative humidity of well over 70% from Weatherquest's station data on Wunderground.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

However, while June 1986 was warm or hot at times, I remember July 1985 having some hot weather around Live Aid, and also August 1987 being quite hot. The week of the Hungerford Massacre hot and sunny, then the thunderstorms arrived on the Friday night. 

June 1986 was a bit warmer (av max 21.8c) and drier than average. Temps peaked at 30.6c, with 3 days at 30c or above.

July 1985 was slightly cooler than average (22.9c), with 1 day reaching 30.0c.

August 1987 was cool (21.8c) and wetter than average, not even reaching 30c with a high of 29.2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 minute ago, weatherguru14 said:

we have some weird climate in the UK they are predicting a high on THIRTEEN ON WEDNESDAY in this location  it was 70f in  in Feb. and 13c in mid June. Oh and its pelting down right now!

13c forecast in London as well, probably the 3rd or 4th coldest June day on record if it happens (the coldest being 10.7c on 3rd June 1953).

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

June 1986 was a bit warmer (av max 21.8c) and drier than average. Temps peaked at 30.6c, with 3 days at 30c or above.

July 1985 was slightly cooler than average (22.9c), with 1 day reaching 30.0c.

August 1987 was cool (21.8c) and wetter than average, not even reaching 30c with a high of 29.2c.

Yeah, it must be just the hot weekend for live Aid 1985, that made me think it was hot all month. I was only 9 at the time.

While mid August 1987 was hot and sunny, I do remember cool and other thundery spells during that summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Interesting the continuation of strong heights to the north...just when recent summers we've always looked to the 'bubble' of heights to the south and a continental influence. Haven't been on here lately but any reason for the continued heights well to the north?

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted
13 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

we have some weird climate in the UK they are predicting a high on THIRTEEN ON WEDNESDAY in this location  it was 70f in  in Feb. and 13c in mid June. Oh and its pelting down right now!

1980 was like that. My uncle said February 1980 had temps in the mid to high teens for a few days, with cloudy very mild air. July that year had temperatures in the mid teens on some days, even in London. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

1980 was like that. My uncle said February 1980 had temps in the mid to high teens for a few days, with cloudy very mild air. July that year had temperatures in the mid teens on some days, even in London. 

I see. staggering really. We will probably get hot weather in September that lasts well into October this year. Hot being way above the long season average.. Wasn't long ago we reached 30C on the first of October. October 2017 was very nice from memory after a poor summer.But that's along way off. am still hoping things will improve for the UK over all  very soon.

Posted
16 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I see. staggering really. We will probably get hot weather in September that lasts well into October this year. Hot being way above the long season average.. Wasn't long ago we reached 30C on the first of October. October 2017 was very nice from memory after a poor summer.But that's along way off. am still hoping things will improve for the UK over all  very soon.

October 2017 had a few days above 20 degrees and a 21c day sometime in mid month. Then it turned cooler and frosty for a few days late month. 

2011 was the last time we had a really warm to hot start in October. That summer was awful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
57 minutes ago, B87 said:

13c forecast in London as well, probably the 3rd or 4th coldest June day on record if it happens (the coldest being 10.7c on 3rd June 1953).

Dreadful, isn’t it? Ok, there probably is need of some rain, as many have pointed out over the last few months. But I don’t understand why it has to be so chilly with it? A truly pathetic maximum of 14°C forecast for Heathrow tomorrow ? Not much better for the week ahead, either. 

Here in Prague, after a cooler, cloudier  and windy day yesterday, it’s sunny today and 26°C. Temperatures for the coming week will be into the upper 20’s-low 30’s°C with increasing chances of thunderstorms towards the weekend. Isn’t hard to decide which set of conditions I prefer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Was just going to say, humidity has been much higher this June than last . In fact, most heat in this country isn't humid. I think many people confuse 'heat' with 'humidity'.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I often find the Exeter climate quite boring, but in the current spell I seem to be doing rather well, having a succession of convective sunshine-and-showers days (which included some thunder on Friday, albeit quite distantly) while most other areas of the country have had a lot of dull damp weather, which looks like continuing during this coming week.  I certainly wouldn't fancy being in Tyneside with that nithering north-easterly off the North Sea that is forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday.  This isn't intended as a gloat, but more for sake of balance, giving the South West credit where it's due and making up for the occasions when I complain about my area not getting the weather I want (which is not unusual in this area of the country if it's thunderstorms or especially snow you're after).

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes I remember it being warm and sunny at the time of the Live Aid concert. Sure I recall some altocumulus castellanus as well.

I remember it being warm around that period in August 1987. The forecast was for the storms for the SE but they then had it affecting more parts of England and Wales which they did. There was some really big altocumulus castellanus that Friday evening.