Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
15 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Abysmal day for June across many areas. It's been on the cards for a while, and is here, with no end in sight.

Those few crazy people that enjoy summers with temperatures in the mid teens and plenty of cloud and rain will  be rejoicing.

For the 99% of the rest of the population who enjoy a bit of sun and some warmth after the winter months it's dreadful.

Well to be fair, us cold lovers did have to put up with a barmy February and we had more than our fill of heat and dry weather last summer...

Everywhere was tinderbox dry for weeks last year.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2019 164 (up to 7th June)
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

That sums it up pretty well,6th worst at the moment. Plenty of time to Improve!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Got nothing to complain about this Summer so far,could do with a tad more sunshine but thats it really,no cost of running aircon,little hay fever,good to work in,no stuffy offices to visit and rest of June looks the same,not bad at all,makes a change from last year.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Yes plenty of time to improve but shows how poor 2012 was - also a good showing for a few 21st century summers we have had some proper shabby  summers last 20 years ..!!??

• Like 1

Posted

Worst June in my lifetime is still June 1987. That was the pits although the end of the month did perk up but it was a very bad summer month.

Here's a forecast by Ian McCaskill from that month. That had a period of mid Atlantic blocking just before mid month.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2019 164 (up to 7th June)
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180 

Interesting that 2007 isn't that high up in the list. Probably saved by that spell for the first 10 days or so of June? Also I recall one or two warmer days dotted around in July and August of 07. August actually wasn't that bad compared to July if I remember rightly.

I imagine that 2007 was performing rather better at this stage than this summer is!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Gosh I miss those forecasts ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Really is getting ridiculously bad now, this so called summer! Last year and this year so far could not be any more polar opposite. It’s like a repeat of 2006/2007 again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
23 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Have to say looking at the GFS it looks pretty grim for you guys for the next 2 weeks..however its no better over here..cold and wet today with chance of sleet and snow..warms up some next week then gets cold and wet again thereafter

How long can you get snow for?

22 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Maybe a shift to a La Niña? 

Too early.

Posted

Coldest june day today since 1997.

10.5c but other only made 8c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.

This is genuinely worse than 2007 here so far. Not one ounce of sunshine since last Thursday (and that lasted 15 minutes) and not above 20 degrees yet. Add to that constant rain especially in the past week. It’s safe to presume June will be a dreadful month in my opinion. July will be the true test. If we go into July with Northern Blocking still present it’s game over and we’ll have the worst summer since 2012, maybe even worse than 2012 and who knows just how bad it could get. 

Posted

It's only one week into summer so too early to make 2012 comparisons for the whole season, but what makes it feel bad here is the fact that the warmest day this year is still April 22nd with 22C. May didn't top 21, neither has June so far despite that "heatwave" last weekend (for London only). 

May 2012 had that lovely spell at the end, the first half of June 2007 wasn't too bad. First half of June 1995 though...

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Gawd. This thread's about as jolly as a Smiths album!:yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Gawd. This thread's about as jolly as a Smiths album!:yahoo:

Now that's quality music grows better with age.

• Like 1

Jesus you lot are cheerful b'stards!It's very windy here I Hertfordshire (ridiculously so for June)but it's otherwise sunny and warm!.You lot seem to WANT a bad summer?.I bet in a couple weeks we have a heatwave,and you lot still won't be happy

Cheer up!.Summers not done yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
12 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

How long can you get snow for

Just one day thankfully..i have seen snow here every month of they year except August..but it can snow in August also

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
21 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Interesting that 2007 isn't that high up in the list. Probably saved by that spell for the first 10 days or so of June? Also I recall one or two warmer days dotted around in July and August of 07. August actually wasn't that bad compared to July if I remember rightly.

I imagine that 2007 was performing rather better at this stage than this summer is!

There was nothing good here in July 2007, the worst month of that summer by far (which is saying something as the whole summer was poor by our standards). The highest temperature all month at Heathrow was just 24.0c!

Edited by B87

Posted
22 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Worst June in my lifetime is still June 1987. That was the pits although the end of the month did perk up but it was a very bad summer month.

June 1986 is pretty underrated, the second half of that June was pretty decent. The month coincided with the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, I remember some very warm sunny days at the back end of that month. Overall, it was probably the best summer month out of that period from June 1985 to August 1988. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well then, early summer looks to be a continuation of 'odd' synoptics...?

Last Tuesday, I spent much of the time sitting at the back of a tractor, planting hundreds of wee brassicas...into a dust bowl; this week, however, it looks as if the same soil will be more like a quagmire?

Oh well, such is the variability of British weather!:shok:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A chink of summery weather today with some sunshine. Personally, cool wind and rain is my least favourite type of weather. In fact I hate it. What’s worse is getting this type of weather in summer. It’s one thing to get this in autumn, winter or spring but to have it in summer it’s truly awful.

Hopefully we will see an improvement during the second half of June and into July. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Greetings from sunny Zakynthos.

May here was the worst May for many many years according to the locals but we’re getting the benefit of the weather pattern here now, in fact the temperatures are just racing up day on day. Forecast high today is a 36c and then staying firmly in the 30s.

Whilst it’s great and lovely etc , this could be a record breaking June here- and there’s a little talk of temps jumping into the high 30s towards the end of next week.

For us Brits it’s tough going- but plenty of water and shade and we’ll survive!

Gather it’s grim on the model front then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Personally it's looking very good until at least the last part of June,no sign of the heat and humidity of last year,working conditions fingers crossed will be much better. Finding this set up a huge relief after 2018,that one i suffered in.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A break from the rain today with some good spells of sunshine on a moderate breeze which feels quite refreshing with the window open

• Like 1