Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted

Yesterday was half decent day albeit cold until midday with a  fresh wind It warmed  up a little in the afternoon. Its not to bad at the moment until later when the heavy rain is expected to arrive.

The BBC have gone for mostly NW wind direction cool (not cold) <-- in their words.I don't see how the weather pattern is gonna change if the NW's continue to be a factor.I don't see the Jet Stream travelling far enough north to give the UK an over all decent summer. and the clock is ticking again.. so like my original points 2019 will be back to your normal English summer.

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I don't see the Jet Stream travelling far enough north to give the UK an over all decent summer. and the clock is ticking again.. so like my original points 2019 will be back to your normal English summer.

The jet stream over the UK is not a normal English summer. Normal would be over or to the north of Scotland. Normally the southern half of England should be under the influence of the Azores high in the summer.

Edited by B87
  • Like 3

Posted

Really? have you see where the jet stream as been most years?? apart from 2018??. Its been in the correct place for the last 10 years. bar the odd good month now and then..most years on here. I hear how there is northern blocking, meaning the jet is straggled at the UK. that's exactly whats happening now.Until it shifts into its "correct" position. as you claim it to be. most of the UK will be on the WRONG SIDE of it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
15 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Really? have you see where the jet stream as been most years?? apart from 2018??. Its been in the correct place for the last 10 years. bar the odd good month now and then..most years on here. I hear how there is northern blocking, meaning the jet is straggled at the UK. that's exactly whats happening now.Until it shifts into its "correct" position. as you claim it to be. most of the UK will be on the WRONG SIDE of it.

Maybe half of summers since 2007 it has been in the wrong place. Before then, it was usually north of us. 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012 were all complete write offs. 

An average summer in SE England is settled and dry with the occasional unsettled week, or thunderstorms.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Pretty much a perfect June for me at the moment, weather wise.

• Like 5

Posted

Heavy rain has now arrived to begin 10 day's punishment for the one nice day we had on Saturday.

Dreadful climate. We don't even get thunderstorms - just endless dishwater. The meteorological version of Ed Sheeran.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Heavy rain has now arrived to begin 10 day's punishment for the one nice day we had on Saturday.

Dreadful climate. We don't even get thunderstorms - just endless dishwater. The meteorological version of Ed Sheeran.

Things look better by mid next week, especially so In the North, where a lengthy settled spell is probable. You say dreadful climate!! Looking at the fun and games in winter 2018,and the historic summer of 2018,i would say it offers us a bit of everything.. Regarding the storms, we need heat to be generated first... And there is plenty of time for that just yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Things look better by mid next week, especially so In the North, where a lengthy settled spell is probable. You say dreadful climate!! Looking at the fun and games in winter 2018,and the historic summer of 2018,i would say it offers us a bit of everything.. Regarding the storms, we need heat to be generated first... And there is plenty of time for that just yet. 

Shame I live in the South haha:p

I would say the fun and games we had in both Winter 2018 and Summer 2018 would be considered pretty normal seasonal weather on the continent. The joys of living on a small island at our latitude facing the Atlantic I guess.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
32 minutes ago, simshady said:

Pretty much a perfect June for me at the moment, weather wise.

Same here,i couldn't ask for anything better to be honest,very comfortable and good for sleeping as well!

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Shame I live in the South haha:p

I would say the fun and games we had in both Winter 2018 and Summer 2018 would be considered pretty normal seasonal weather on the continent. The joys of living on a small island at our latitude facing the Atlantic I guess.

Plenty of time yet Azazel. Yes location doesn't help, but with these uncertain climate times things could become alot different a bit further down the line. I'm still not seeing much of a surge from the jet stream, if this continues into winter, who knows what the outcome will be. One thing for sure if we start seeing heights parked over Greenland come winter... There will be fun and games a plenty. Having these heights over Greenland is not great right now, but it wouldn't spell the end of summer!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Same here,i couldn't ask for anything better to be honest,very comfortable and good for sleeping as well!

Has you will be aware I ramp up the nice summer conditions on the model thread. But I've said many times before, I'm happy with low 20s and settled by day, and coolish at night, like you say much better for sleeping in, give me a few days of high heat and humidity and I've had enough! I'm fine in the day, but by night I hate it. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
18 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I do agree to an extent - our climate is rather boring. 

Rain for 200 to 250 days of the year, few snowfalls, couple weeks of hot weather, one thunderstorm if lucky and 3 or 4 Atlantic severe gale events.

Give me the Spring season of Oklahoma, Summer of Miami, Autumn from the Highlands of Scotland and the Winter of Lapland. 

@Mattwolves I also agree on the plenty of time part - it is only June 4th after all.

I look for heat and thunderstorms in Summer so hopefully either of those arrive over the next three months!

And if you do enjoy cooler or rainy weather at anytime of the year I say all the best to you and each to their own - if we all enjoyed the same types of weather this forum would make for an extremely dull read! 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I do agree to an extent - our climate is rather boring. 

Rain for 200 to 250 days of the year, few snowfalls, couple weeks of hot weather, one thunderstorm if lucky and 3 or 4 Atlantic severe gale events.

Give me the Spring season of Oklahoma, Summer of Miami, Autumn from the Highlands of Scotland and the Winter of Lapland. 

@Mattwolves I also agree on the plenty of time part - it is only June 4th after all.

I look for heat and thunderstorms in Summer so hopefully either of those arrive over the next three months!

And if you do enjoy cooler or rainy weather at anytime of the year I say all the best to you and each to their own - if we all enjoyed the same types of weather this forum would make for an extremely dull read! 

Funny you mention 200 days of rain though Mr frost, I think some parts of the country have been getting nowhere near those figures recently, especially the SE. If I'm not mistaken some parts had a relatively dry Autumn and winter as well. Winter of Lapland, even there was disappointing last winter! I would say the summer of Gibraltar where you get refreshing breezes and the winter of Yakutsk.... Hell Yeh - 40 every day....

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

give me a few days of high heat and humidity and I've had enough! I'm fine in the day, but by night I hate it. 

Yep,i'm exactly the same,during the day i can tolerate it to some extent but its at night that i really struggle. I'm sure though this Summer will improve for those wanting the warmer temps but a 2018 repeat,very very unlikely..which personally i am very happy with!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
15 minutes ago, Mattwolves said:

Funny you mention 200 days of rain though Mr frost, I think some parts of the country have been getting nowhere near those figures recently, especially the SE. If I'm not mistaken some parts had a relatively dry Autumn and winter as well. Winter of Lapland, even there was disappointing last winter! I would say the summer of Gibraltar where you get refreshing breezes and the winter of Yakutsk.... Hell Yeh - 40 every day....

Yes - a normal Winter in Lapland would be ideal for me! 

A very late start for them last year - snow finally arrived on December 11th and was still on the ground in April this year. (Usually the snowfall settles from early/mid November)

.http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/318863/christmas-saved-as-snow-falls-on-lapland

Anyways I am taking this thread way off topic so I will leave it at that - only a few more months until we can indulge in our favourite season of all! 

Back on topic - bring on a hot mid Summer with severe thunderstorms! (If like me that is what you are craving!)

Have a good one all - whatever weather you enjoy!

Cheers! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Wouldn’t be too bad if it was a couple of grotty days and then some sunny days. But looks like this cool crap for some time to come. Nasty low pressure battering parts of France on Friday. More like January! So glad that I moved to Central Europe. At least summer has arrived there.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Rather an odd comment given it’s been in a different place every year, most years flirting north of us and across us at different points, that’s if there’s been a coherent jet stream at all.

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, markyo said:

Yep,i'm exactly the same,during the day i can tolerate it to some extent but its at night that i really struggle. I'm sure though this Summer will improve for those wanting the warmer temps but a 2018 repeat,very very unlikely..which personally i am very happy with!

Yes 2018 repeat not likely, every other outcome still on the table..unfortunately for some, low 20s and settled doesn't cut the mustard, they still consider it useless summer conditions... If your gonna constantly hunt for 30+c, then more often than not, your gonna end up disappointed! A bad summer for me would constitute many wet days, many cloudy days, and temps in the mid teens. 

A bit like today really

Edited by Mattwolves
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Love Will Tear Us Apart always reminds me of soggy summer weather for some reason. It just does with the miserable cloudy and cool weather a UK summer can throw at us.

I hate Ed Sheeran!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mattwolves said:

Yes 2018 repeat not likely, every other outcome still on the table..unfortunately for some, low 20s and settled doesn't cut the mustard, they still consider it useless summer conditions... If your gonna constantly hunt for 30+c, then more often than not, your gonna end up disappointed! A bad summer for me would constitute many wet days, many cloudy days, and temps in the mid teens. 

Low 20's and settled would be alright!

But 16 (probably closer to 12 in the wet) and damp with grey skies for days and days on end is absolute dogs**t.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

Low 20's and settled would be alright!

But 16 (probably closer to 12 in the wet) and damp with grey skies for days and days on end is absolute dogs**t.

That's what it's like here currently Azazel. Diabolical! 

Posted

A bad summer can be low 20s also, if it ends up being days and weeks of cloudy weather. Yes, you can still do outside activities if it’s dry, but the lack of sun will makes things depressing.

A decent summer has to have at least a few weeks of long sunny spells, and temperatures between 22c-27c. I’m not after 29-32c, as that becomes too humid especially in London, but a cloudy spell of anything south of 22c for long periods isn’t a good summer. 

Posted

Today is around 15 degrees in London. It felt warmer earlier, but the temp is dropping. This is pretty bad for early June. 

However, it was hot overnight for the first time this year during the past weekend. Saturday was the first night I noticed feeling warm while going to sleep. 

Posted

A bad summer for me would constitute many wet days, many cloudy days, and temps in the mid teens. 

Totally agree,i'm the first to realise we do need a fair degree of decent weather in the next 3 months,folk holidaying,kids need to be out in the fresh air,not couped up on their video games. Low 20's with the odd burst to mid 20's for me would be a very good summer. Hunting for those 30 plus temps in the uk is like hunting for proper cold in the Winter,usually just leads to a depressing end for the hunters! Moderation is the key to avoid disappointment!

• Thanks 1