Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Nice try. But you as well as I know that in the US Winter temps are far colder than UK Winters. So that article isn't a good comparison. Just to add more clarity: In the US most public places & homes have air conditioning so they can cool down more easily in Summer. So yes any wonder deaths are lower as a consequence of this.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

You're kidding, right? We might only get three flakes (of actual snow) during a whole winter, but the ramping starts in October and doesn't stop till May...If I had half the snow the rampers predicted, I'd still be digging myself out!

In the immortal words of Dr McCoy: image.png.58c2eb253b5c8aabd2f877d2c19afe17.png 

Well I think ramping gets out of hand for both sides but it's more understandable for coldies since southern england can go years without lying snow so most ppl become desperate. Just saying that warm weather lovers have it better. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Zesyph said:

but it's more understandable for coldies since southern england can go years without lying snow so most ppl become desperate. 

lol again

image.png.58c2eb253b5c8aabd2f877d2c19afe17.png

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 25/05/2019 at 17:33, Thundershine said:

I don't agree, this site is going to have people who like cold in winter and heat in summer. If anybody gets antagonised by the fact someone has a different preference, that's their problem. The cold ramping in winter is massively greater than the reverse too. You also have an unusually low threshold of heat tolerance, that most people do not share, so please bare in mind that what is too hot for you is quite comfortable for most people.

I agree.my tolerance is low but that is due to my job,8hrs plus in a non ventilated room at 35c plus,90 percent humid plus is a norm. The hotter the weather the more i suffer work wise. Sorry i could have put it better,i apologies. But what that does mean is that what is cold for most folk is still shorts and T shirt weather for me! Worked this whole winter in shorts due to the mild conditions. I don't ramp up the winter weather also,i know and fully understand that many hate the cold,it can be very difficult for so many,just as prolonged heat can be. Sorry if i've offended in any way,not my intention at all.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
51 minutes ago, markyo said:

I agree.my tolerance is low but that is due to my job,8hrs plus in a non ventilated room at 35c plus,90 percent humid plus is a norm. The hotter the weather the more i suffer work wise. Sorry i could have put it better,i apologies. But what that does mean is that what is cold for most folk is still shorts and T shirt weather for me! Worked this whole winter in shorts due to the mild conditions. I don't ramp up the winter weather also,i know and fully understand that many hate the cold,it can be very difficult for so many,just as prolonged heat can be. Sorry if i've offended in any way,not my intention at all.

I also say I have a bit of a poor cold tolerance, but cope with warmer conditions than most on the other hand, so the UK really isn't the best climate for me! I still find snowy weather interesting though, so I still like at least one proper snowfall in winter, as long as it isn't all winter. Last winter where I live had no snow at all virtually, probably less than 1cm which even I'd say is pathetically bad. I may talk up warm weather a lot but not to annoy anybody, more like because only a few days a year are approaching my favourite kind of summer weather. I don't like droughts either, my ideal set up is a thundery southerly set up with low pressure to the west and convective rainfall being regular. 

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It's always going to be a 'hot'' topic when it comes to personal preferences. I personally hate unventilated stuffy centrally heated homes in Winter and ice cold overly air conditioned places in summer. These distort a person's tolerance for weather conditions and make the percieved effect much worse.

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely late spring early summers day,nice breeze,blue skies,good temps....whats not to like.

Edited by Mapantz
Not necessary
  • Like 4

Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, markyo said:

Lovely late spring early summers day,nice breeze,blue skies,good temps....whats not to like.

And the much talked about plume has plummeted lol, could the SE scrape a storm before the fresher air returns? wouldn't mind a short heat burst if it goes out with a bang!

Would be a good start to summer imo 

That's from my perspective, because I live in the se of England, just saying to avoid confusion or to mislead anyone.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

short heat burst if it goes out with a bang!

Sounds good to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
18 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Summer whine, the '13th June enigma' thread will be bumped again this June

Well, one day has to be the last one to hit 30C, doesn't it? I just don't get the 'enigma' part...:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted

US still getting interesting weather. Winter storm warnings in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado and heatwave warnings in Georgia and South Carolina. In between them is very active. Will we see some hot and cold swings over the next week or two?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/national/weather-forecast-maps

Posted

I think I can answer that now. It's been snowing on high ground in Scotland and there is a risk of frost tonight. Then we have high 20s for the Southeast at the weekend. So recent US weather in miniature - who gets the tornadoes in the middle?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Based on the GWV forecast, I'd be happy with the summer with analogues like 1989, 1995 and 1990. 

I'd take a cool June in exchange for a hot and sunny July/August. Especially a sunny or sunnier than average August.

The 3 cloudiest Junes on record at Heathrow will all be represented in the 1991-2020 averages (2016, 2012, 1991)!

Posted
18 hours ago, B87 said:

Based on the GWV forecast, I'd be happy with the summer with analogues like 1989, 1995 and 1990. 

I'd take a cool June in exchange for a hot and sunny July/August. Especially a sunny or sunnier than average August.

The 3 cloudiest Junes on record at Heathrow will all be represented in the 1991-2020 averages (2016, 2012, 1991)!

July and August 1991 were decent though..particularity August..was hot and sunny second half

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

July and August 1991 were decent though..particularity August..was hot and sunny second half

July and August 1991 were not hot, the warmest day either managed was only 29c. July had average temperatures and sunshine but was very wet, August about 0.5c above average, quite dry and above average sunshine.

Overall, the summer of 1991 was cooler, wetter and cloudier than average.

The last good August here was 2016 (with its 98% of the LTA sun average), before that you have to go back to 2005 to find the last good one. 2012, 2013 and 2018 were all warmer but cloudier than average here.

I'd be happy with a repeat of July and August 1991, but with an average number of 30c+ days thrown in.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I would happily welcome a poor start to summer if it meant an excellent end was guaranteed.  We have seen an unusual number of front-loaded summers in recent years.  In fact, even May has been a more memorable month than August for quite some time here.  A gradual improvement throughout the entirety of summer would be very pleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
44 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

I would happily welcome a poor start to summer if it meant an excellent end was guaranteed.  We have seen an unusual number of front-loaded summers in recent years.  In fact, even May has been a more memorable month than August for quite some time here.  A gradual improvement throughout the entirety of summer would be very pleasant.

From 2007 onwards for the London area.

Front loaded: 2010, 2014, 2017

Back loaded: 2012, 2013, 2016

Balanced: 2009, 2015, 2018

Not loaded at all: 2007, 2008, 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

As many know. I don't rate early June, sometimes not that much different to early Jan, often wet/windy 11 degrees

only difference the light

Posted
2 hours ago, B87 said:

July and August 1991 were not hot, the warmest day either managed was only 29c. July had average temperatures and sunshine but was very wet, August about 0.5c above average, quite dry and above average sunshine.

Overall, the summer of 1991 was cooler, wetter and cloudier than average.

The last good August here was 2016 (with its 98% of the LTA sun average), before that you have to go back to 2005 to find the last good one. 2012, 2013 and 2018 were all warmer but cloudier than average here.

I'd be happy with a repeat of July and August 1991, but with an average number of 30c+ days thrown in.

August was +1.7c above normal with 140% sunshine in London

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

As many know. I don't rate early June, sometimes not that much different to early Jan, often wet/windy 11 degrees

only difference the light

Early June sees the jetstream still in a meandering slumber and can therefore be prone to chilly northerly and north easterly blasts, conversely it can also be a very settled time of year.. far less likely to deliver low pressure after low pressure from the west compared to August. A pivotal time is around the solstice, that is when you want the jetstream to slide swipe the UK well to the north preferably in a weak zonal fashion enabling the azores high to dominate - which is always the harbinger of a good summer.