Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2019 - Moans, Ramps, Chat etc

Posted
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

Use the aircon in the bedroom only. 20c is the turn on temp,anything over that and i struggle to be comfortable sleeping even with fans,can't have windows open due to traffic, Hence summer can be very expensive for me,this May is proving very good for me money wise! Long may it continue

I understand the benefits it may bring. But, unfortunately for us, we’ve had to put the heating on in the evenings still. Although low, it still needs to be on. Our flat still gets cold when day time temps struggle to get above 16 degrees. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
21 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I understand the benefits it may bring. But, unfortunately for us, we’ve had to put the heating on in the evenings still. Although low, it still needs to be on. Our flat still gets cold when day time temps struggle to get above 16 degrees. 

Sorry to hear your still needing the heating on,even though i love these temps a more balanced May would be welcome,spending money at this time of year to keep warm can't be much fun.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

This. Every evening the heating has to be put on. Our office doesn't have good heating so i'm still sitting here at my desk in my massive winter coat with jumpers on underneath as we approach June because it's absolutely freezing. The heating is always on in my car and I've only managed to go for a drive without it or the window down a handful of times. We're still occasionally using a heated blanket. It's been dire.

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry to hear your still needing the heating on,even though i love these temps a more balanced May would be welcome,spending money at this time of year to keep warm can't be much fun.

I’ll admit I don’t mind the poor May so far, because we have the damp cool weather mixed with brief warm interludes while still chilly when the clouds move in. If this is a pattern for summer to come, it might provide more chances of thunderstorm and perhaps more frequently.

However, while I appreciate some on here don’t want another 2018, 2013, or 2006/95 style summer, I’m hoping we don’t face another 2011 or 12. The latter will look more likely if we are still having this discussion by the middle of June.

i will be happy with more 21-24c days, and this is something even the south has failed to record so far in May. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.
33 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ll admit I don’t mind the poor May so far, because we have the damp cool weather mixed with brief warm interludes while still chilly when the clouds move in. If this is a pattern for summer to come, it might provide more chances of thunderstorm and perhaps more frequently.

However, while I appreciate some on here don’t want another 2018, 2013, or 2006/95 style summer, I’m hoping we don’t face another 2011 or 12. The latter will look more likely if we are still having this discussion by the middle of June.

i will be happy with more 21-24c days, and this is something even the south has failed to record so far in May. 

I’m 90% confident May will finish below average. Just seen the fantastic BornFromTheVoid’s CET projection and that has us 1.4c under average on the 19th of May. Would need low 20’s days and 10c nights for the rest of May which so far looks pretty unlikely, just as it does in models. So if May is cooler than average, June could also be cooler than average if this pattern we are seeing follows on. This is starting to worry me already as I like the warmer weather, I can already see signs of a 1988 ish poor summer. Either it’s gonna be back loaded like 2013, or it’s gonna be a write off in my opinion

Posted
1 hour ago, SunnyDazee said:

I’m 90% confident May will finish below average. Just seen the fantastic BornFromTheVoid’s CET projection and that has us 1.4c under average on the 19th of May. Would need low 20’s days and 10c nights for the rest of May which so far looks pretty unlikely, just as it does in models. So if May is cooler than average, June could also be cooler than average if this pattern we are seeing follows on. This is starting to worry me already as I like the warmer weather, I can already see signs of a 1988 ish poor summer. Either it’s gonna be back loaded like 2013, or it’s gonna be a write off in my opinion

1988? Eurgh no! 

I would take 1987 over that, even though that was a dire summer, we still had about 3 weeks or so of warm to hot weather between late June and August of that year. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

1988? Eurgh no! 

I would take 1987 over that, even though that was a dire summer, we still had about 3 weeks or so of warm to hot weather between late June and August of that year. 

It’s just from far out models. The BCC has northern blocking continuing until mid June at least (That’s when the 40day forecast finishes) however other models show different. There’s signs of 1988 in some and 2013 in others. They’re a mess at the moment. This summer was predicted to be very frontloaded though but now it looks like July and August may have to save the summer at the moment, (July has been good to fantastic in all but 2015 in the last few years) however August is as reliable as a table with 3 legs. Fingers crossed though that the better models prevail as some still show above average temperature even if they have northern blocking which is unusual. We are due a hot August now though, not had one for a good 15 years really (and when we get hot August’s we tend to know about it!)

Edited by SunnyDazee

Posted
1 hour ago, SunnyDazee said:

It’s just from far out models. The BCC has northern blocking continuing until mid June at least (That’s when the 40day forecast finishes) however other models show different. There’s signs of 1988 in some and 2013 in others. They’re a mess at the moment. This summer was predicted to be very frontloaded though but now it looks like July and August may have to save the summer at the moment, (July has been good to fantastic in all but 2015 in the last few years) however August is as reliable as a table with 3 legs. Fingers crossed though that the better models prevail as some still show above average temperature even if they have northern blocking which is unusual. We are due a hot August now though, not had one for a good 15 years really (and when we get hot August’s we tend to know about it!)

Hmmm, I would argue that 2013 was a decent August, for the south of England anyway. July 2017 was pretty good, but only until the mid July storms which changed(up until that point) a decent summer spell, and changed the rest of the summer. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, SunnyDazee said:

July 2016 was rather poor in these parts apart from that short (although admittedly impressive) hot spell around mid month. I recall that extraordinary night (around the 19th I think) when it was 26C at Manchester Airport at midnight.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

July 2016 was rather poor in these parts apart from that short (although admittedly impressive) hot spell around mid month. I recall that extraordinary night (around the 19th I think) when it was 26C at Manchester Airport at midnight.

I remember that too, crazy night wasn’t it? July usually has a hot spell though lasting a few days that is a usual certainty that’s my point. To be fair there’s been updates today and the Northern Blocking has slackened down and a SE wind is said to be rising, which is brill news if true, also it’s not looking as bad going into June as was predicted so hopefully the models move in our favour

Posted
Just now, SunnyDazee said:

I remember that too, crazy night wasn’t it? July usually has a hot spell though lasting a few days that is a usual certainty that’s my point. To be fair there’s been updates today and the Northern Blocking has slackened down and a SE wind is said to be rising, which is brill news if true, also it’s not looking as bad going into June as was predicted so hopefully the models move in our favour

Just looked back on the records, it was also still 25C at 2.00 am that night of the 19th/20th. Remarkable and I can't recall a warmer night around these parts.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Just looked back on the records, it was also still 25C at 2.00 am that night of the 19th/20th. Remarkable and I can't recall a warmer night around these parts.

Unreal that is. 25c at 2am is unheard of here isn’t it? 

Posted
38 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Every now and again you get a night like that. Oddly, the most notable one I can remember was 13th October last year where it didn't drop below 18.8C all night - not in summer, but it was so odd to be so warm overnight so late in the year.

Posted
1 minute ago, reef said:

Every now and again you get a night like that. Oddly, the most notable one I can remember was 13th October last year where it didn't drop below 18.8C all night - not in summer, but it was so odd to be so warm overnight so late in the year.

Yes we've had a couple of oddly warm nights in October in the past couple of years. I remember 2017 with Hurricane Ophelia as well- it was 21C here at 9 am that morning. It does seem to be very hard to get a night here that doesn't drop below 20C though, even in the warmest spells in summer. There must be some examples in the records but I can't recall many.

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

I think I remember that, but my recollection of that period was slightly blurred by the damp and cooler nights surrounding it.

i do remember the night of the hurricane in 1987 going from coolish to warm, especially during the height of the storm. Maybe the storm was picking up very warm winds. 

Also august 1987 recording a very hot night in London, around 21-22c, despite the summer being poor. 

Posted
On 10/05/2019 at 21:04, Scorcher said:

I did a timelapse that night hoping to catch an overnight storm. There was a distant storm towards Liverpool It was a very warm night.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 3

Posted

For me this May has been very normal in the  north of Scotand weather in comparison to the preceeding 12 months which have basically been very dry and warm. Over the years since my first memories in the early sixties I"ve lost count of the times we have put cattle out to grass in late April  on a warm (16-18c) day only for the weather to produce snow in the following weeks .Have sown turnips in the last week in May in an old draughty  tractor on many occasions when the temperature has struggled to get above 10c.

More recently as we are terribly dry now the hunt for rain has started .Every time rain  is forecast perhaps only three days away  we get to within two days and  it  disappears from the forecast.This has been happening consistantly since last autumn. I think the preponderence of southerly winds since autumn has a lot to do with it as they are descending winds off the Cairngorms here and are therfore drying(20%RH) and warming as they reach us. Crops have been sown into dustbowls here any showers we have had drying up very fast in the exceptionally dry air.

Probably said this before but my mother was a Londoner and came to live here at the beginning of the sixties. She always said "Spring does"nt happen in Scotland ,summer arrives on  the 1st  of June."

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

I hope we get a decent summer, as someone who enjoys seasonal weather it would be incredibly boring to get a mild winter/rubbish summer combo.

Anything like last summer would be greatly appreciated.

In truth i would love to see a nice August, they have been pretty rare round these parts for some time..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

AccuWeather's summer forecast. Given their accuracy in recent years it's going to be a washout isn't it...

D7E2o3dXkAEJTaF.thumb.png.3663328c722865a3960fedcf1b7c74e6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

One thing we do need this summer is rain....and a lot of it!

• Like 2

Posted

Will the US weather affect us?  It's bonkers over there. It's currently snowing in 11 western states, and expected to continue for 3 days, with up to 20 inches predicted for Wyoming and 18 inches for Colorado.  It's 4C in New Mexico while next door, in Houston, it's 26C in the middle of the night! They seem to be having swings from hot to cold and back, only more so than us.

http://weatherstreet.com/states/u-s-snowfall-forecast.htm

https://oilcity.news/associated-press/2019/05/20/spring-storm-expected-to-dump-snow-in-colorado-wyoming/

Edited by Aleman

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

AccuWeather's summer forecast. Given their accuracy in recent years it's going to be a washout isn't it...

D7E2o3dXkAEJTaF.thumb.png.3663328c722865a3960fedcf1b7c74e6.png

Who is doing their forecast graphics now? Piers Corbyn? Talk about sensationalistic. Wild fire, drought concerns, severe thunderstorms. 

Two other things to comment on. 

One, I hate that term "mild" used during summer. 

Two, how can most of Italy be described as seasonable and just to the north (including northern Italy) be described as heatwaves? What weather set-up could cause this? 

Edited by Weather-history