Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

Posted
5 hours ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Have you a source for that stuff?

Also

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Section 14 order issued to halt protest across London was not legitimate, high court rules

The Greens announced it yesterday as part of their GE launch. To assist them i planted a money tree today; the garden centre label says that with careful tree management it should produce £100bn of money annually, so all sorted

Re the overpopulation post, above, now that's a challenge whilst the likes of Nigeria is heading towards 8bn of population.

That India story above is shocking. Caught an ITN news story last night showing the landfill 'mount' on edge of Delhi. One aspect of this ever-widening debate i'm fully committed to; recycling. We recycle almost everything in ours, guided by South Glos council refuse collection guidelines; my only Q is how much actually makes it to proper recycling co.s?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Seems that, whether you like it or not, XR's recent antics have had an effect on just how important Climate Change really is: 

_109542553_mediaitem109541687.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Polling suggests the environment is a concern for more voters than ever - but by the end of the campaign will politicians be answering their...

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Seems that, whether you like it or not, XR's recent antics have had an effect on just how important Climate Change really is: 

_109542553_mediaitem109541687.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Polling suggests the environment is a concern for more voters than ever - but by the end of the campaign will politicians be answering their...

Whether the Greens can turn it into votes/seats will be interesting. Bristol West now to be a straight fight between Greens and Labour, after LDs agreed to pull out and support Greens. Huge Lab maj of over 20,000, but it is full of students who may prefer Greens for environ and EU stance. Ironically, i'm heading deep into that 'territory' this after and eve, for a few bevvies with an ex-work colleague.

Will NW re-open the Political disc thread for the GE? C'mon mods - let's do it just for next few weeks for the GE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I'm kinda glad that modern propaganda methods weren't as well developed around the time of the ozone depletion problem. Back then, we had industries claiming economic collapse, that the scientists were biased, then hiring fake experts to write fake reports. They just weren't as effective in seeding the public with their BS.
I strongly suspect, was it occurring nowadays, we'd have been much less likely to come to a global agreement. The scary predictions made by scientists at the time would have been met with the same level of public ridicule and dismissal as current climate scientists and activists.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Whether the Greens can turn it into votes/seats will be interesting. Bristol West now to be a straight fight between Greens and Labour, after LDs agreed to pull out and support Greens. Huge Lab maj of over 20,000, but it is full of students who may prefer Greens for environ and EU stance. Ironically, i'm heading deep into that 'territory' this after and eve, for a few bevvies with an ex-work colleague.

Will NW re-open the Political disc thread for the GE? C'mon mods - let's do it just for next few weeks for the GE.

download.jpeg

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
19 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

The Greens announced it yesterday as part of their GE launch. To assist them i planted a money tree today; the garden centre label says that with careful tree management it should produce £100bn of money annually, so all sorted

Re the overpopulation post, above, now that's a challenge whilst the likes of Nigeria is heading towards 8bn of population.

That India story above is shocking. Caught an ITN news story last night showing the landfill 'mount' on edge of Delhi. One aspect of this ever-widening debate i'm fully committed to; recycling. We recycle almost everything in ours, guided by South Glos council refuse collection guidelines; my only Q is how much actually makes it to proper recycling co.s?

By happy coincidence, that's the exact figure calculated as the hit to GDP should Johnson's Brexit deal go ahead. (not to mention 49bn in lost tax revenue). :oldsmile:

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

By happy coincidence, that's the exact figure calculated as the hit to GDP should Johnson's Brexit deal go ahead. (not to mention 49bn in lost tax revenue). :oldsmile:

Interesting, but i'll raise ya!

What about the £bns in lost revenue, made up of tax from the well-off who flee Blightly, and the loss of foreign investment in government bonds and gilts which converts into revenue for public services, hospitals and the welfare state, if the Marx Brothers, by some miracle, get into power

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Interesting, but i'll raise ya!

What about the £bns in lost revenue, made up of tax from the well-off who flee Blightly, and the loss of foreign investment in government bonds and gilts which converts into revenue for public services, hospitals and the welfare state, if the Marx Brothers, by some miracle, get into power

But, once you've spent said £billions on public spending, we'll have real hospitals, real trains, real buses etc.; once the Brexit billions have been flushed down the toilet, however, there'll be absolutely nothing to show for it...Save -- of course -- for what ends up in the coffers of the Tax-Dodgers' Alliance & chums...?:oldgrin:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But, once you've spent said £billions on public spending, we'll have real hospitals, real trains, real buses etc.; once the Brexit billions have been flushed down the toilet, however, there'll be absolutely nothing to show for it...Save -- of course -- for what ends up in the coffers of the Tax-Dodgers' Alliance & chums...?:oldgrin:

I knew you couldnt resist replying, Pete

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But, once you've spent said £billions on public spending, we'll have real hospitals, real trains, real buses etc.;

Just like we did in the 1970s 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
22 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

whilst the likes of Nigeria is heading towards 8bn of population.

Eh? You may want to re-examine that claim....

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Eh? You may want to re-examine that claim....

Why  nigerias population has doubled  in 30 years  now over 200 million   these are the countries that will quickly push to population to 8 billion 

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Just like we did in the 1970s 

Aye, CM, we did...And then some short-sighted imbeciles let everything fall apart, for 18-years, due to ideological neglect...? 

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Why  nigerias population has doubled  in 30 years  now over 200 million   these are the countries that will quickly push to population to 8 billion 

The original statement said that Nigeria's population is heading to 8 billion, not the same thing.... anyhow it seems after being away from this thread for a month and returning it just keeps circulating back to the same arguments again and again....

Nobody points their finger at the USA do they?

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

The original statement said that Nigeria's population is heading to 8 billion, not the same thing.... anyhow it seems after being away from this thread for a month and returning it just keeps circulating back to the same arguments again and again....

It was obvious what he ment   anyway  if they are the same arguments  don't comment   simples 

Posted

Even though I voted to remain in the referendum I was ok with accepting the majority vote.  The doom saying of the Bank of England and others so far has not kicked in.

My view has changed about BREXIT.  With the climate argument now coming to the fore BREXIT, with its the alleged down turn in the economy, must be a good thing for the environment. Isn’t that what all  those asking for change are pressing for?

Eyes down for a trip to the Middle Ages. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Nobody points their finger at the USA do they?

Apols - 200m. Dont know where the 8bn figure came from;  prob a Daily Mail source Anyway, Corbyn for PM - i love a fantasy.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye, CM, we did...And then some short-sighted imbeciles let everything fall apart, for 18-years, due to ideological neglect...? 

remind me how the 1970s went again.?.near economic collapse, failing nationalized industries, 3 day working week, rampant inflation, UK CO2 emissions 2.5 times what they are now and England not qualifying for the 1974 & 1978 world cups or the Euros in 1976... lots of cold and snow though and two belting summers :drunk-emoji:

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Apols - 200m. Dont know where the 8bn figure came from;  prob a Daily Mail source Anyway, Corbyn for PM - i love a fantasy.

Haha no worries, it did seem a bit high! 200 million is a lot closer. Anyhow, hung parliament is the way I think it will go again / no party with an outright majority to lead on their own.

Edited by Quicksilver1989

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

remind me how the 1970s went again.?.near economic collapse, failing nationalized industries, 3 day working week, rampant inflation, UK CO2 emissions 2.5 times what they are now and England not qualifying for the 1974 & 1978 world cups or the Euros in 1976... lots of cold and snow though and two belting summers :drunk-emoji:

Humm, OT but the 80s were wonderful? Millions of jobs and livelihoods cast onto the scrap heap, civil unrest, the ideology that set off the deep divisions we now see set into political concrete...

If only we still had the positive changes the 00s brought (low tax on small cars, subsidised clean energy generation) we'd be living in a cleaner, less polluted country.

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I believe child poverty was at 14% in the 70's? .....tell me again where child poverty stands today?

As for flu? Swine flu took my father & son (Luke) leaving me (this past 9 years)  with 'post viral syndrome'....but thanks for asking!

Ther money to sort some of our issues/mitigate what we have coming is in the accounts of a very small number of individuals ( compared to the number of folk alive today?)

Put it this way 1 million seconds is about 11 days. 1 billion seconds is about 31.5 years..... tell me again why we have billionaires when capital is finite?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
On 07/11/2019 at 18:25, Snipper said:

Even though I voted to remain in the referendum I was ok with accepting the majority vote.  The doom saying of the Bank of England and others so far has not kicked in.

My view has changed about BREXIT.  With the climate argument now coming to the fore BREXIT, with its the alleged down turn in the economy, must be a good thing for the environment. Isn’t that what all  those asking for change are pressing for?

Eyes down for a trip to the Middle Ages. 

I work in the construction industry and attend economic briefings on a regular basis. Firstly we haven't left the EU so the impacts that the B  of E talked about are linked to our future trade status with the rest of the world and the impacts tarrifs and custom arrangements would have.  I can assure you the construction industry one of the main drivers of our economy is very close to the edge and we haven't left yet. The best case scenario sees  at least 5 quarters of recession with little or no growth. the worst case see's at least 10 quarters of recession and a likely 10 year period to get back to were we where in 2010. Leaving the EU only benefits those who speculate on uncertainty Joe public can go whistle whilst the fat cats get fatter.

• Like 5

Posted
3 hours ago, jonboy said:

I work in the construction industry and attend economic briefings on a regular basis. Firstly we haven't left the EU so the impacts that the B  of E talked about are linked to our future trade status with the rest of the world and the impacts tarrifs and custom arrangements would have.  I can assure you the construction industry one of the main drivers of our economy is very close to the edge and we haven't left yet. The best case scenario sees  at least 5 quarters of recession with little or no growth. the worst case see's at least 10 quarters of recession and a likely 10 year period to get back to were we where in 2010. Leaving the EU only benefits those who speculate on uncertainty Joe public can go whistle whilst the fat cats get fatter.

On this topic, I agree.

Further, I listened to a farmer from Wales on 'Farming Today' this morning and she was of the view that post brexit (if that does indeed occur) there would be an increase in animal cruelty and environmental pollution, simply because some folk would believe that the UK was de-regulated and unnacountable (an aspiration of idealogues)

And further, it would be more honest if the current govt would publicise the actual cost of the already spent £sd on the whole dastardly brexit project - probably enough to fund a hospital or two

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Gray-Wolf said:tell me again why we have billionaires when capital is finite?

Possibly many wouldn’t have any job and earn anything if some weren’t pursuing the God of profit. 
Unfortunately  few are prepared to open and run a business for no return. For those who do want to make loads of money best of luck to them. Even if many gfuqhgfpjh about not having the benefits of hard work of others.