Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My point in posting this is not political; it's where the science points: 

_109229059_loftinsulation_getty.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

New builds would have solar panels and super-efficient insulation, the party says.

IMO, we need our upcoming problems with/solutions to Climate Change entirely taken out of the hands of politicians...We just need to do this! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Those moaning about 'you must' why not bring forward your ideas that would save similar amounts of GHG emissions or are you not really that interested in survival of the futures of your kids/grandkids?

I get the idea you'll seamlessly move from this position to one absolutely critical of how we got here once the first major climate catastrophe hits & your 'fight or flight' response is triggered

We cannot help your low sensitivity to 'threat' , that is how you were born, why not accept that those more 'sensitive' have a 'born right' to their natural levels of awareness too and ,as such, will seek out ways to 'Save' as many people, and as much of our Planet, as we can?

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Those moaning about 'you must' why not bring forward your ideas that would save similar amounts of GHG emissions or are you not really that interested in survival of the futures of your kids/grandkids?

I get the idea you'll seamlessly move from this position to one absolutely critical of how we got here once the first major climate catastrophe hits & your 'fight or flight' response is triggered

We cannot help your low sensitivity to 'threat' , that is how you were born, why not accept that those more 'sensitive' have a 'born right' to their natural levels of awareness too and ,as such, will seek out ways to 'Save' as many people, and as much of our Planet, as we can?

When is the first major climate catastrophe going to hit the UK?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Gray-Wolf said:

"Survival of the futures of your kids/grandkids" - it's the use of this type of sensational language in the Climate change 'debate' that often makes me switch off, to be blunt.

GW - it's only a few years ago on NW, in another thread, that you were warning 'us 'of a major flu epidemic that was going to obliterate the human race. Nuff said.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
51 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

"Survival of the futures of your kids/grandkids" - it's the use of this type of sensational language in the Climate change 'debate' that often makes me switch off, to be blunt.

GW - it's only a few years ago on NW, in another thread, that you were warning 'us 'of a major flu epidemic that was going to obliterate the human race. Nuff said.

And, as the science and data become unequivocal/incontrovertible, the efforts to refute them become ever more dependent on logical fallacies...?:oldgrin:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
58 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Would you still consider it sensationalist/dismissable if it's experts saying similar about the future?

Posted
19 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Would you still consider it sensationalist/dismissable if it's experts saying similar about the future?

Yep. It is the use of sensationalist language in the 'debate' that alarms me. During that Extinction Rebellion disruption in London the other week the news channels filmed some guy on the road sobbing into the tarmac, saying he was concerned he wouldnt see his kids or grandkids because of effects of climate change - pathetic.

Posted
3 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

You really don't keep up with what is going on in the world then? There is a change going on, it's gaining pace.

When will we notice? Well, I began to notice changes to the world about 30 years ago, you, obviously have not not yet noticed.

And catastrophe? Not a word I use but the changes going on are happening over time, many people might not ever notice them, but impact us all they surely will.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Bristle boy said:

Yep. It is the use of sensationalist language in the 'debate' that alarms me. During that Extinction Rebellion disruption in London the other week the news channels filmed some guy on the road sobbing into the tarmac, saying he was concerned he wouldnt see his kids or grandkids because of effects of climate change - pathetic.

Why? I find what is going on, the changes being wrought by our actions, almost too terrible to pay attention to anymore. Are you going to call me names as well?

You really just have to follow what is going on in the Arctic, or the world glaciers or to Australian temperature and rainfall to see the starkness of the changes. Ok, you can find those who refuse to see - and they too normally resort to insult...

• Like 4

Posted

This is something like how I'd hope climate change conversations would go here:

Poster #1"If you look at the available evidence and data it's clear (to me, and most scientists) the world is warming, that the warming is due to humanities activities,  and some major changes are on the way"

Poster #2 "Humm, I'm not convinced. I do accept you're genuinely concerned and have done some studying. Can you point me to what it, what evidence and data, is that makes you think the way you do please?"

#1 : "Sure [posts links]"

#2 " thanks, I'll take a look"

But instead we get something like:

#1 "If you look at the available evidence and data....."

#2 "You're pathetic"

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Devonian said:

You really don't keep up with what is going on in the world then? There is a change going on, it's gaining pace.

When will we notice? Well, I began to notice changes to the world about 30 years ago, you, obviously have not not yet noticed.

And catastrophe? Not a word I use but the changes going on are happening over time, many people might not ever notice them, but impact us all they surely will.

Don't have a clue what you are on about here.

My question was to Gray Wolf.

Posted
4 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

A white Christmas this year? Ok I only jest. 

Some may feel whatever they will do is wrong or so totally insignificant to make no difference at all when competing with the burning of the Amazon jungle.

So many have aspired and been encouraged to improve their lives with the acquisition of stuff or life style they may not be itching to give it up. 

To be honest it may be difficult to get out of the hype of there must always be more of everything. Productivity, money, travel, more space to live, experience and sex. Ok chucked in last one as it causes more heat than anything probably. 

Posted
51 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Bonfire night.  How many less burgers should I eat to offset it’s carbon footprint?

You either accept the science, the evidence and the data, and act accordingly, or you can ignore it (and in some chose to hurl abuse at said science, scientists or people who understand, it instead). It's your choice, I know what mine is mine

Edited by Devonian

Posted
2 hours ago, Snipper said:

Bonfire night.  How many less burgers should I eat to offset it’s carbon footprint?

I acted accordingly.. had a lovely bonfire, great fireworks and yes some burgers.. life is a gift, live it!

Posted
1 hour ago, Devonian said:

You either accept the science, the evidence and the data, and act accordingly, or you can ignore it (and in some chose to hurl abuse at said science, scientists or people who understand, it instead). It's your choice, I know what mine is mine

This comes over as a quite a smug answer to what was a simple question. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snipper said:

This comes over as a quite a smug answer to what was a simple question. 

Why is your reply implying something about me me rather than talking about what I said?

Are you smug? Does saying that of each other help? No it does not.

You asked what you should do. I answered you pointing to how serious the problems are and that you can indeed act or still chose not to.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I acted accordingly.. had a lovely bonfire, great fireworks and yes some burgers.. life is a gift, live it!

And another reply implying something of me.

I love life to - why wouldn't I? Why do you feel the need to attack me in such a way? I'm sure you love life, so do I - all of it. We're alike, we both love life

Again, taking positive steps is a choice. I chose to take those steps. I'm perfectly happy not flying around the world. I don't feel the need to drive a huge car - my little old super mini is fun enough and practical. Fwiw I can't stand burgers either, I know what they're made of and how, so no thanks - but I've no problem if you do. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Devonian said:

You asked what you should do. I answered you pointing to how serious the problems are and that you can indeed act or still chose not to.

No you didn’t you just came back another of your increasingly boring and pious rants.

Yes most of us want to do something effective to counter what is happening but putting a drop of water into a bath that is overflowing because the taps are full on ain’t going to help much. 

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

No you didn’t you just came back another of your increasingly boring and pious rants.

Yes most of us want to do something effective to counter what is happening but putting a drop of water into a bath that is overflowing because the taps are full on ain’t going to help much. 

There you go again... What have I done to deserve being call 'pious'? I have my say and for that I get attacks

I am, reasonably, intelligent. I've been interested in weather and climate all my life - I'm 61 years old. I'm an amateur, but i think the professionals know their jobs.

To me the evidence and data is abundantly clear. We need to act because if we don't the state of the planet will continue to be degraded.

What response will I get for daring to think and say that? Would it be 'OK, thanks, I'll look at and read the links you've supplied' or another personalised attack?

• Like 3

Posted
_109536250_gettyimages-1030004030.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Around 11,000 scientists have endorsed research that says the world is facing a climate emergency.

• Like 2

Posted

Something to consider, agree, disagree, question or ignore. 

5733762_orig.jpg
WWW.EVERYTHINGCONNECTS.ORG

Human overpopulation is among the most pressing environmental issues, silently aggravating the forces behind global warming, environmental pollution, habitat loss, the sixth mass extinction, intensive...

Posted

revolutionary  or plain nieve    The greens will spend 100billion a year  on climate change  over 90 billion of which will be borrowed.  100000 new carbon free homes to be built every year    As a comparison   our current total borrowing is 50 billion a year.   maybe its easy to promise the world  when you have no chance a trying to deliver it?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

revolutionary  or plain nieve    The greens will spend 100billion a year  on climate change  over 90 billion of which will be borrowed.  100000 new carbon free homes to be built every year    As a comparison   our current total borrowing is 50 billion a year.   maybe its easy to promise the world  when you have no chance a trying to deliver it?.

Have you a source for that stuff?

Also

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Section 14 order issued to halt protest across London was not legitimate, high court rules

Posted
5 hours ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Have you a source for that stuff?

p07t6h0f.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Co-leader Sian Berry urges £100bn a year to be spent on climate action at the party's campaign launch.

I must say that if you think the evidence is correct then it perfectly rational to think it is the most serious issue we face. I think the evidence is correct.

However air quality is obviously the most serious  problem Delhi has atm - but the people there seem to just  cough, wheeze and just shrug their shoulders. Shrugging is a big problem too...

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 1