Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

Posted
17 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i was listening to the radio the other day..and they were saying what a guy John Legend was for flying from London to LA and back in the same day to spend a cpl hours with his wife who was lonely and missing him etc and there is us getting berated for trying to get to work in the morning

Yep a leading voice in climate change   is legend   Oh well  one good thing may come about if  everyone takes Legends stance   his rewrite of baby its cold  outside  wont be very relevant for  long.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, James1979 said:

I looked into getting solar panels a couple of years ago as you can definitely get enough sunshine in the UK (more so in the South obviously) to get the most out of solar panels but the cost was close to £15k to buy and fit and then around 19 years just to break even on the outlay -  utterly ludicrous, we need to find dramatically cheaper options so your average person can get onboard with this. 

not if you are replacing your roof..this is more applicable to north america where slates on roof are rare ..they just use bitumen shingles which last 15-20 years and need replacing..so at some point here you will need to replace your roof and the cost of solar shingles is the same as a regular roof..so its a no brainer really 

Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i was listening to the radio the other day..and they were saying what a guy John Legend was for flying from London to LA and back in the same day to spend a cpl hours with his wife who was lonely and missing him etc and there is us getting berated for trying to get to work in the morning

I can't see the link or relevance to Thunberg refusing an award in your post.

Would it be 'look over there' by any chance? Or simply tu quoque again......

• Like 2

Posted

Be nice if there was some positive and constructive input about how you can actually make a difference. Not these side swipes at those who may and probably won’t make any difference to the end outcome. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not if you are replacing your roof..this is more applicable to north america where slates on roof are rare ..they just use bitumen shingles which last 15-20 years and need replacing..so at some point here you will need to replace your roof and the cost of solar shingles is the same as a regular roof..so its a no brainer really 

I'm not replacing the roof though, I innocently thought it would be reasonably affordable to attach to my existing roof and even get paid for some excess electric (that's now ended too) I'm all for it but not something I can afford sadly. I and my family really want to contribute somehow but its not made that easy for the individual, a lot of this must fall in the remit of our governments but whilst there is general greed and self interest then that's light years away in reality. 

• Like 3

Posted
13 hours ago, Snipper said:

Be nice if there was some positive and constructive input about how you can actually make a difference. Not these side swipes at those who may and probably won’t make any difference to the end outcome. 

There are plenty of easy, workable, practical and efficient solutions  that would provide a cleaner, less polluted world and happier more healthy people (more spending on solar and wind power, small cars, more spending public transport, more use of bikes, better diets and less spending on fossil fuels). The problem, the only problem,  is getting humans to adopt and or vote for them.

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Here's an interesting take on how this might be tackled:

3150.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

There are now twice as many people as 50 years ago. But, as EO Wilson has argued, they can all survive – in cities

Posted
4 hours ago, Devonian said:

There are plenty of easy, workable, practical and efficient solutions  that would provide a cleaner, less polluted world and happier more healthy people (more spending on solar and wind power, small cars, more spending public transport, more use of bikes, better diets and less spending on fossil fuels). The problem, the only problem,  is getting humans to adopt and or vote for them.

Seems as if voting for anything nowadays achieves little. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

1 hour ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

Here's an interesting take on how this might be tackled:

3150.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

There are now twice as many people as 50 years ago. But, as EO Wilson has argued, they can all survive – in cities

Or put a bleaker way

image.png

image.thumb.png.3e6c0dd894452f3a70f1ff4443bf1e89.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by V for Very Cold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
18 hours ago, Snipper said:

I quite agree. Trolling, flaming and bullying will only change a few. It is everywhere. You must be Vegan, You must do this You must do that. You are never going to get the earth's population to totally bow down to the demands and quite frankly propaganda. As a fashion lover it has been now aimed at people  buying clothes, the prices go up and company's are now failing. Then it's the medication asmatics use. 

We can't even live in caves now, wouldn't be able to kill animals for food or clothing, we wouldn't be able to cut down a tree anyway for the fire which is also bad. Maybe the human race has been destroying the planet before it invented the wheel? 

Certainly makes me wonder how we would survive. maybe we just aren't supposed to?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Our new Lidl is surrounded by super-duper hi-tech downlighters, which, I presume, emit polarised light, as it's so hard to see whether they're even on or not.

The wholesale changeover to such street furniture must be the way to go, IMO: not only does it consume only a tiny fraction of the power traditional lighting uses, it doesn't brighten the night sky, at all...

Nae so good, for snow-watching though, I suspect?:shok:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
46 minutes ago, Dami said:

I quite agree. Trolling, flaming and bullying will only change a few. It is everywhere. You must be Vegan, You must do this You must do that. You are never going to get the earth's population to totally bow down to the demands and quite frankly propaganda. As a fashion lover it has been now aimed at people  buying clothes, the prices go up and company's are now failing. Then it's the medication asmatics use. 

We can't even live in caves now, wouldn't be able to kill animals for food or clothing, we wouldn't be able to cut down a tree anyway for the fire which is also bad. Maybe the human race has been destroying the planet before it invented the wheel? 

Certainly makes me wonder how we would survive. maybe we just aren't supposed to?

???

What's with the 'you must' line? I (and people like me) have an opinion, have i said 'you must' to you? No. Who had said 'you must' be a vegan?  No one. No one here has any power, few people in the world have power over others.

But, again, the solutions to the world's problem's are available and simple to do (I mentioned some earlier)  - if only we, humanity, would do them.

I actually feel its me, and people like me, who  'must' do something. I have to live on a planet with people who don't give a flying do da about its future or its health   My opinion is that I should be able to say 'I think we need to do better. We can do this....' without being insulted for that view...

Posted
4 hours ago, Devonian said:

???

What's with the 'you must' line? I (and people like me) have an opinion, have i said 'you must' to you? No. Who had said 'you must' be a vegan?  No one. No one here has any power, few people in the world have power over others.

But, again, the solutions to the world's problem's are available and simple to do (I mentioned some earlier)  - if only we, humanity, would do them.

I actually feel its me, and people like me, who  'must' do something. I have to live on a planet with people who don't give a flying do da about its future or its health   My opinion is that I should be able to say 'I think we need to do better. We can do this....' without being insulted for that view...

Vegan activists how do they fit in?

Posted
6 hours ago, Snipper said:

Seems as if voting for anything nowadays achieves little. 

That's a rather broad reply to a narrowly targeted comment. As someone who didn't vote for the current govt or 'you know what' that we're not talking about' my feeling is votes do matter and a lot...

However, if people voted for what I described in sufficient numbers it would happen.

• Like 2

Posted

You have got to be trolling me if you haven't seen people harp on that becoming vegan would save the planet.

Posted
10 hours ago, Dami said:

You have got to be trolling me if you haven't seen people harp on that becoming vegan would save the planet.

Yup, plenty of people think going vegan would help 'save' the planet' (though I'm not a vegan) but I queried your 'you must' quotes. I don't think I've heard a vegan say that - not in the 'giving an order' way you seemed to be implying.

There is a difference between my view that there are thing we need to do (as I said in a post higher, there are solutions, lifestyle changes, that would work if we both did them ourselves but more importantly voted in govts to do them) and an implication that I, well people like me, might be ordering people to do things.

Posted
13 hours ago, Snipper said:

Vegan activists how do they fit in?

I'm not aware vegan activist have the power to order ('you must') people to do things?

Posted

Well this guy certainly thinks so. :

5760.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Animal products create more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, but we don’t want to confront this inconvenient truth: our...

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dami said:

Well this guy certainly thinks so. :

5760.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Animal products create more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transportation sector, but we don’t want to confront this inconvenient truth: our...

Look, this is indeed nuance but he said 'we must' while you said such people say 'you must'. When someone says 'we must' I feel its not an order, when someone says 'you must' it is. That is just my view.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
19 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Our new Lidl is surrounded by super-duper hi-tech downlighters, which, I presume, emit polarised light, as it's so hard to see whether they're even on or not.

The wholesale changeover to such street furniture must be the way to go, IMO: not only does it consume only a tiny fraction of the power traditional lighting uses, it doesn't brighten the night sky, at all...

Nae so good, for snow-watching though, I suspect?:shok:

We have to make sacrifices.. Do you want to save our planet, or not?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

This is all just semantics isn't it? I interpreted Dami's post as more of a general "you must" that we seem to get bombarded with by the media every day rather than a direct response to the words in your post(I could be wrong!). Everything we do we are made to feel guilty about now and that's not just this topic. We definitely need to change our ways and soon though, that much is clear but those in charge need to be addressing this before the individual can make much difference imo.

Edited by James1979
  • Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, James1979 said:

This is all just semantics isn't it? I interpreted Dami's post as more of a general "you must" that we seem to get bombarded with by the media every day rather than a direct response to the words in your post(I could be wrong!). Everything we do we are made to feel guilty about now and that's not just this topic. We definitely need to change our ways and soon though, that much is clear but those in charge need to be addressing this before the individual can make much difference imo.

Hi James, yes I certainly meant it in a general manner.  

1 hour ago, Devonian said:

Look, this is indeed nuance but he said 'we must' while you said such people say 'you must'. When someone says 'we must' I feel its not an order, when someone says 'you must' it is. That is just my view.

As they say, don't know them personally don't take it personal.  However my points stands that no one is going to save any planet trolling or flaming on social media.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 4

Posted

I have been thinking a lot more about what changes can be made and also speaking to friends and family to see how they would approach making 'Positive changes'.  There are so many conflicting views on so many things it's hard to know if something is environmentally and ethically sourced or beneficial.  These views are forever changing as once the change has been made, we then find negatives regarding these years later.  So anyway on my very early venture so far and my very small steps, my first one has been to cut out meat and dairy but still eating fish during the week, but still allowing myself these things on the weekend.  For one my partner doesn't wish to do the same thing so that has been my biggest hurdle so far, as the food bill has now increased ( this never makes for a happy missus). So the journey begins. 

Edited by BeazleyBlizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Quelle surprise...? And, down the toilet, she goes: another tranche of well-earned corporate-welfare!:oldangry:

_109499025_cuadrilla.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Drilling for shale gas will cease in England - but the government stops short of an outright ban.

• Like 2