Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

Posted

Yawn, title topic is "Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?" - so maybe we can chat about something loosely related to that, rather than an interview on breakfast tv three days ago! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Right folks...try this, from the WWF? Mine was 78%. Whatever that means!

carbon-budget-percentage2.jpg
FOOTPRINT.WWF.ORG.UK

The planet is in crisis - from climate change to the pollution in our oceans and devastation of our forests. It's up to all of us to fix it. Take your first...

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

FOOTPRINT.WWF.ORG.UK

The planet is in crisis - from climate change to the pollution in our oceans and devastation of our forests. It's up to all of us to fix it. Take your first...

112%, but aint gotta clue what it means:olddoh:

Guess if you are under 100% you are some way to reaching "acceptable" level.

Recycling we are brill, as our local Tory council set up separate collections and different boxes, bags a few years ago. Bristol City council 'next door' is Labour and their recycling is a mess compared to South Glos. But...

Heating and water heating we aint v good i'm afraid and as for flights/annum, well,....the less said about that . Gas central heating and gas heats our water, from a 25 year old Baxi boiler. Thing is the old Baxis are super reliable, whereas new condensing or combis are v unreliable and built to break down frequently. I've been considering a new all-electric heating system from Sweden, which is meant to be top notch, and v environmentally friendly but it is expensive and i have concerns re power cuts, esp in Winter, when you need the heating to be on.

Some kind of government financial grant/incentive to switch to a more energy efficient system would be beneficial, but that costs the taxpayer.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

FOOTPRINT.WWF.ORG.UK

Mine is somewhat higher.  Not sure what I can do much to alter the score to any great degree.  Insulated everything, had new boiler installed, don’t go anywhere much. Suppose I could become a vegetable.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
56 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

FOOTPRINT.WWF.ORG.UK

129% or 12.8 tonnes per year..dont forget i live in Canada .so things like renewable's and recycling is not a sophisticated as the UK plus gas and oil is much cheaper here than back home

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

18 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

129% or 12.8 tonnes per year..dont forget i live in Canada .so things like renewable's and recycling is not a sophisticated as the UK plus gas and oil is much cheaper here than back home!

Interesting,,, but a waste of time!

MIne was 96% or 9.6 (whatever units it is in)...… This despite the fact that I stated that I had three flights up to 2500 in the last year, but when I asked to look at the details of travel it said that I had only used the equivalent of one!!!!  

The really good news for me is -           I  can go up to 10.5 tonnes per year next year.

I think that means that I can buy myself a new diesel car and still visit my grand children around the country!

My current 2005 Vauxhall Vectra is now beginning to become clapped out. 

Needless to say that I did not join the WWF and pay a subscription..

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The WWF Footprint calculator does not take in account those who do not have a car, chronically disabled, unemployed and/or living in rented property.

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Katrine Basso said:

The WWF Footprint calculator does not take in account those who do not have a car, chronically disabled, unemployed and/or living in rented property.

got to love their tips..i need to cycle to work etc..you try cycling to work when its -40c? or get on public transport and sit with all the scumbags who stink of last nights booze or curry and are coughing all over you as you are jammed in like sardines..eat less meat even though i put i don't eat much meat in the first place and only buy locally sourced food..well i dont choose to import stuff from half way round the world the supermarkets do and they don't grow pineapples or oranges in Alberta 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I am unable to use public transport due to my mobility difficulties and chronic pain fatigue, which makes the journey so stressful that impacts on my physical and mental health causing me to have sensory overload.  It is too dangerous to ride a bike on the roads in Thurrock with the amount of lorries etc on the roads.  I have never learned how to ride a bike on the road (in the 70's) as I was not allowed to because of my epilepsy, (I still on medication for epilepsy) and the medication that I take along with the chronic fibromyalgia symptoms that impair my cognitive abilities. I also have very co-ordination and balance as when I was a child in the 70's I rode a chipper children's bike on the pavements and even then I fell off and managed to cut my legs badly.

• Like 2

Posted

Do you support extinction rebellion answer yes or no.

A definite no from me.

Glad this is more free talking with humor more relaxed fun talkabout unlike the one track ruled bbc or other places.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Do you support extinction rebellion answer yes or no.

A definite no from me.

Glad this is more free talking with humor more relaxed fun talkabout unlike the one track ruled bbc or other places.

I haven't listened to your video. Would the video contain:

1, a reasoned set of arguments against XR?

2, a series of insults directed at XR?

Me? I really think we need to take anthro climate change seriously. I'm following the Mosaic expedition to study the Arctic sea ice and the contrast between the conditions the 'Farm' experienced in the Arctic on the same dates in1893 and what the 'Polarstern' is experiencing now is so stark I can't see how anyone could not get what is going on, really I can't :cc_confused:

Posted

The ideas for trying to solve the problem although they might help I cannot see many giving up what they have or aspire to. Basically selfish until the the end?

There will always be those, who for one reason or another need extra help which would skew any attempt to alter their lifestyle.

Looking back difficult to see how things could have been handled differently.  Do we condemn the first person to light a fire?

It all seems to keep coming back to the mainly ignored point that there are too many of us seeking too much stuff.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

These protests are all very well intentioned but the actions available to individuals like you and me to combat climate change are trivial in the global sense and utterly futile when we are talking about turning the central heating down or even buying an electric car (all that electricity still has to be generated somewhere).  What is needed is world-wide intergovernmental action of a kind which is well-nigh impossible to agree let alone implement.  Take air travel, for instance - a serious polluter and greenhouse gas creator.  We can't even begin to imagine mass air travel being halved or even reduced - it's increasing year by year.  So what about a token gesture - why don't we ban all take-offs and landings of private jets in this country?  

I don't think I need to give the reason why even this would never be contemplated - those that make the decisions like to travel in private jets - don't they......

Despite the protests and any other voices of reason trying to get the necessary changes made, I am convinced that people in power around the world will not act until the rising sea water is lapping at their own front doors.

• Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Sky Full said:

These protests are all very well intentioned but the actions available to individuals like you and me to combat climate change are trivial in the global sense and utterly futile when we are talking about turning the central heating down or even buying an electric car (all that electricity still has to be generated somewhere).  What is needed is world-wide intergovernmental action of a kind which is well-nigh impossible to agree let alone implement.  Take air travel, for instance - a serious polluter and greenhouse gas creator.  We can't even begin to imagine mass air travel being halved or even reduced - it's increasing year by year.  So what about a token gesture - why don't we ban all take-offs and landings of private jets in this country?  

I don't think I need to give the reason why even this would never be contemplated - those that make the decisions like to travel in private jets - don't they......

Despite the protests and any other voices of reason trying to get the necessary changes made, I am convinced that people in power around the world will not act until the rising sea water is lapping at their own front doors.

how would Bono etc get to travel the world telling us all why we are all bad people for daring to drive to work...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
46 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

how would Bono etc get to travel the world telling us all why we are all bad people for daring to drive to work...

Rudolph the red nose reindeer  

• Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, Snipper said:

The ideas for trying to solve the problem although they might help I cannot see many giving up what they have or aspire to. Basically selfish until the the end?

There will always be those, who for one reason or another need extra help which would skew any attempt to alter their lifestyle.

Looking back difficult to see how things could have been handled differently.  Do we condemn the first person to light a fire?

It all seems to keep coming back to the mainly ignored point that there are too many of us seeking too much stuff.

I don't condemn the first person to light fire..

It's those with strong desires to possess more than what they need that are the problem. Too much greed.

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I bought some houmous today!:oldgrin:

Thanks for sharing that with us.. Will it stop AGW? 

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I bought some houmous today!:oldgrin:

was it locally sourced 

• Like 3

Posted
solarroof.jpg
WWW.TESLA.COM

The sun provides more than enough energy in just one hour to supply our planet’s energy needs for an entire year. Your home can capture this free, abundant energy source through rooftop solar tiles...

these would work on my roof..we get over 3500 hours of sunshine per year.not sure about cloudy UK though

• Like 3

Posted
12 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Indeed and I've always thought that myself but they are still more environmentally friendly than petrol or diesel.

I commute to work which is around 60 mpw during off-peak hours in a medium size petrol car..  add my trips to football training and matches ( depending where the matches are ) a full tank of petrol ( usually around £55 ) will lasts me just under two weeks. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, D.V.R said:

I don't condemn the first person to light fire..

It's those with strong desires to possess more than what they need that are the problem. Too much greed.

Who decides what a person needs?

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snipper said:

A fight or something more civilised? Heck, maybe even a representative democracy

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Wealth probably dictates that question, some outspoken 'celebrities'  seem to have accrued a net worth in the 100s of millions and some have 100s of properties around the globe, but hey, do as I say and not as I do.

Posted
7 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Wealth probably dictates that question, some outspoken 'celebrities'  seem to have accrued a net worth in the 100s of millions and some have 100s of properties around the globe, but hey, do as I say and not as I do.

Tu quoque time again eh

• Like 2