Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

Posted

I genuinely think that some people really need to learn the lesson and if you have nothing positive or reasonable to say, then say nothing at all. I mean this is a thread about making positive changes to your life. If you don't want to do that, then I guess it's up to you, but why do you feel it's alright to come into the thread and ruin it for those who may want to discuss the actual subject?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here's an interesting article from the BBC: lifestyle-changes need be 'big' rather than small, meaningful rather than platitudinal; and big, non-platitudinal changes need 'big', non-platitudinal government, if they are to succeed...

So why are Extinction Rebellion activists treated to precisely the same degree of hatred as the Suffragettes were, before them? Because they, too, threaten the status quo?

_109046904_1ed3c82b-805a-4553-af7c-bc9c4
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The experts tell us that small, easy changes alone will not be enough to combat climate change.

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Answer a simple question just like a politician but much worse.

All of this nonsense is now getting out of control.

I agree, SO9...Her attempts at rationalising going to McDonalds was almost Pythonesque -- as was that bloke practising his application for a grant from The Ministry of Silly Walks!:oldgrin:

But, on the other hand, how can a 'professional' questioner not know the meaning of the word 'breadbasket'?:shok:

All-in-all, another of the many reasons why I never watch ITV Daytime TV!

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Looks like 'project fear extinction rebellion' to me...

And he tries to portray her as a hypocrite - practice what you preach he says, then he ranted on and on and then told her to answer the question (though how she could when he was ranting on beats me )... Still, he's right, showing her to be a hypocrite will make the temperature fall and the amount of the CO2 in the atmosphere fall? Showing XR to be hypocrites will make it all go away?

I think not...

My positive lifestyle change to come out of that? Trying to ensure I don't have to listen to Piers ranting on again...

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Devonian said:

Looks like 'project fear extinction rebellion' to me...

And he tries to portray her as a hypocrite - practice what you preach he says, then he ranted on and on and then told her to answer the question (though how she could when he was ranting on beats me )... Still, he's right, showing her to be a hypocrite will make the temperature fall and the amount of the CO2 in the atmosphere fall? Showing XR to be hypocrites will make it all go away?

I think not...

My positive lifestyle change to come out of that? Trying to ensure I don't have to listen to Piers ranting on again...

What it does do imo is to show them up to be the hypocrites that they are, this will not garner widespread public support, in fact their actions and total hypocrisy turns a  crisis into a circus!

Posted
16 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

What it does do imo is to show them up to be the hypocrites that they are, this will not garner widespread public support, in fact their actions and total hypocrisy turns a  crisis into a circus!

Tu quoque, my god it's the greatest way to solve the worlds problems

EG: 'People who protest about dangerous road accident blackspots? Get a life and get a job, you use roads too you hypocrites! People who campaigned to ban smoking? Wasters, get a job and, besides, I know some of you used to smoke you hypocrites! People who try to help other people get off alcohol & drugs? But many of you used alcohol & drugs too you hypocrites! People who, hundreds of years ago, wanted us to build sewers? Hypocrites, you chuck sewerage in the streets too!'

etc etc etc

Another change to my lifestyle? Pointing out tu quoque to people.....

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 4

Posted

This is an emergency, in fact a global catastrophe that supersedes  all other previous emergencies ( give up fags and booze lol)  the last thing you want now is a pantomime performance performed by

the look at me brigade, with their do as I say but not as I do doctrine.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

This is an emergency, in fact a global catastrophe that supersedes  all other previous emergencies ( give up fags and booze lol)  the last thing you want now is a pantomime performance performed by

the look at me brigade, with their do as I say but not as I do doctrine.

If you think that then you're buying the caricature of the protestors put about by those seeking to denigrate them (see Piers above) and you're demanding that people be perfect. Both are ill advised imo and not how it is.

But, what do you suggest? That people don't protest about problems? That people say nothing leaving 'the masses' even more ignorant of what is happening? Doing that just leave those who don't care to carry on even more regardless. Maybe you think there need to be stronger protests, that violence perhaps war is the answer. XR don't think that is the right way forward, and I agree.

The world is indeed in a mess - and I can never understand why those pointing that out get attacked. Well, actually, I can understand it because usually they're attacked by those who want them silenced.

• Like 5

Posted
16 hours ago, Devonian said:

If you think that then you're buying the caricature of the protestors put about by those seeking to denigrate them (see Piers above) and you're demanding that people be perfect. Both are ill advised imo and not how it is.

But, what do you suggest? That people don't protest about problems? That people say nothing leaving 'the masses' even more ignorant of what is happening? Doing that just leave those who don't care to carry on even more regardless. Maybe you think there need to be stronger protests, that violence perhaps war is the answer. XR don't think that is the right way forward, and I agree.

The world is indeed in a mess - and I can never understand why those pointing that out get attacked. Well, actually, I can understand it because usually they're attacked by those who want them silenced.

Job creation great for the economy, the tax man will be aware though that if you get paid several 100 pounds to glue yourself to a cat, you will be liable to pay tax.

Posted

I think the issue with these protests, and what will not get people to support it, is that they're stopping people getting to work, going about their daily lives etc. And this isn't just people who are rich, on massive salaries etc, it's a wide range of people - including those on very low wages, who maybe don't get paid if they don't get into work. Or people on tight schedules for things like childcare etc etc etc. 

The point of a protest is surely to draw attention to the subject being protested about and draw people into the cause, but with this, is that the case? I'm not so sure, most people are just talking about the protest itself, the issues caused by it, and so on. XR have every right to protest and it's a cause worth protesting about but, for me, they have the balance wrong, and are making it too much about them, too much about what they're doing and not enough about the point of it all. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Long post alert..... Sorry.
I think I understand the motives of the protesters and I applaud the people involved for trying to raise the profile of these issues although I don't especially agree with their methods because they are disruptive to many other ordinary people.  However, I am unable to understand what action they expect individuals to take.  As somebody who is concerned about the possibility (in the worst case) of the end of most of the life on the planet, I wish to do my best to avert the doom which is being predicted, but what is the best action I can take?  Four years ago I spent a chunk of my limited and finite savings on solar water heating panels on a south facing roof slope, thinking that it would reduce my dependence on oil for the boiler.  The result is not conclusive - lots of hot water on warm sunny days (when I don't need it), not much benefit if any on cold, cloudy days (when I DO need it).  Have I saved on some oil consumption? Yes, I expect so, but I now have a leaky roof in adverse weather (of which we get a lot) and overall I don't think my 'action' has really done anything measurable to affect the climate. On the other hand, I still drive a diesel car although I could by now have probably changed it for petrol or even a hybrid.  I choose to drive a diesel because I believe it is actually more climate friendly than the affordable alternatives available to me.  My diesel has done 125K miles and looks good for another 125K if I look after it.  Diesel engines are generally more fuel efficient than petrol engines, and also more robust and longer lasting so they don't need scrapping so often.  If everyone kept their car as long as I have perhaps there would be less need of new cars, reducing the consumption of raw materials to manufacture them, and reducing the waste from scrapped cars.   

My point, though, is that any rather small and insignificant actions like these by even millions of individuals are unlikely to save the planet if half the predictions of climate scientists are accurate.  What is needed are tremendous sweeping changes in the way we - humanity- generate energy, produce food and travel around.  This might include solving the challenge of fusion energy power generation, eliminating beef from the human diet, hydroponics, extensive networks of electric vehicle charging points or, better still, electro-magnetic recharging embedded in roads, or, best of all, enormous development of public transport so that personal transport by car can be almost eliminated.  The problem is that most if not all these kinds of developments require a) huge sums of money; b) world-wide intergovernmental co-operation, and c) the willingness of vested capital and company shareholders to forego profits in lieu of world changing progress for the benefit of all mankind.  There is a name for this....Utopia....and I am afraid if it ever happens it will be too late to change the direction in which we are already travelling.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul said:

I think the issue with these protests, and what will not get people to support it, is that they're stopping people getting to work, going about their daily lives etc. And this isn't just people who are rich, on massive salaries etc, it's a wide range of people - including those on very low wages, who maybe don't get paid if they don't get into work. Or people on tight schedules for things like childcare etc etc etc. 

The point of a protest is surely to draw attention to the subject being protested about and draw people into the cause, but with this, is that the case? I'm not so sure, most people are just talking about the protest itself, the issues caused by it, and so on. XR have every right to protest and it's a cause worth protesting about but, for me, they have the balance wrong, and are making it too much about them, too much about what they're doing and not enough about the point of it all. 

And allegedly some of them are being paid by XR funds. Today is about disrupting The City of London financial sector; one of the biggest tax giving sectors that helps fund the NHS and Welfare state. Go figure.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

And allegedly some of them are being paid by XR funds. Today is about disrupting The City of London financial sector; one of the biggest tax giving sectors that helps fund the NHS and Welfare state. Go figure.

And then they get it all back again, by way of £multi-million taxpayer bailouts? An entity (or a legal fiction?) which could be part of the solution but prefers being part of the problem...?

Posted
20 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And then they get it all back again, by way of £multi-million taxpayer bailouts? An entity (or a legal fiction?) which could be part of the solution but prefers being part of the problem...?

To be fair Pete, whilst there's a lot of greed in that sort of world, I'm quite sure it contributes far more in tax than the banks took when getting bailed out. 

Posted

All through history people have said things can't be done.

I bet, a few hundred years ago, no one thought diseases could be cured - but a lot have been. I'm pretty sure the first people who identified diseases as being cause by microscopic organisms we're laughed at, ridiculed and called names...Had people protested in favour or vaccination by the injection of substances into people's bodies (before most people understood what it was)  most of those protesting would be ridiculed and told to get a job or accused of wanting to harm people  - even a few people these days would do that....

People didn't think London's sewers could be built or would solve the problem - they were and they did...

Little more than a century ago the idea of humans flying in powered metal vehicles was absurd, the idea we'd be whizzing around the world in our millions would seem like a transportational utopia...

All I want is a world where we don't litter. Don't litter the seas with plastic, don't litter the atmosphere with waste gasses. And all I also want is that we treat the world which sustains us with respect. it's our home for heavens sake!

It seems that is too much to ask. But it simply isn't and the pressure to change will only increase as the degradation of our planet increases.

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 3

Posted

How can Climate Change be properly countered whilst the Top 1% are still able to cling on to all the world's wealth? They'll build themselves biospheres on Mars, before giving the rest of humanity the drippings from their noses...? Part of the solution? Yeah, right!:oldangry:

Doffs cap, tugs forelock, genuflects!:bad:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

How can Climate Change be properly countered whilst the Top 1% are still able to cling on to all the world's wealth? They'll build themselves biospheres on Mars, before giving the rest of humanity the drippings from their noses...? Part of the solution? Yeah, right!:oldangry:

Doffs cap, tugs forelock, genuflects!:bad:

Although I don't disagree with you, Ed, I have to wonder how the top 1% will get by when the rest of us are extinct?  They might be safe in their biospeheres but who is going to produce their food, manufacture their electronic toys, and mend their toilets?  Someone has to be spared for all these mundane duties - seems there will always be a 'them' and 'us'  even after doomsday!   Now - get to the back of the queue..... ?‍? ?‍? ?‍?  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
On 12/10/2019 at 15:28, Snowyowl9 said:

Her total refusal to answer a simple question and utter arrogance was incredibly irritating. Talk about hypocrisy 

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

of course its still way short   but it is going in the right direction.

shutterstock_112485596.jpg
WWW.ENERGYLIVENEWS.COM

A new report from Carbon Brief notes this is the first time this has happened in the history of the UK's energy sector

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Her total refusal to answer a simple question and utter arrogance was incredibly irritating. Talk about hypocrisy 

BFTP

Can you point me to the time when Piers was either not ranting or not shouting at her demanding she answer? It's nearly impossible to answer awhen your questioner won't shut up...

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Devonian said:

Can you point me to the time when Piers was either not ranting or not shouting at her demanding she answer? It's nearly impossible to answer awhen your questioner won't shut up...

Don’t need to as you know that was irrelevant to her refusal to answer, which would show up her hypocrisy.

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Don’t need to as you know that was irrelevant to her refusal to answer, which would show up her hypocrisy.

BFTP

She couldn't answer as he kept shouting her down... She tried to answer but every time he just went off on one...

How is being shouted down refusing to answer?

As to hypocrisy, let he or she without any hypocrisy at all cast the first stone. Are you perfect?

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Devonian said:

She couldn't answer as he kept shouting her down... She tried to answer but every time he just went off on one...

How is being shouted down refusing to answer?

As to hypocrisy, let he or she without any hypocrisy at all cast the first stone. Are you perfect?

There you go again  ..she didn’t even try to answer the question that is just plain fact.  And why? Because the answer would expose her, because all she’s spouting out against telling people not to do,  she does herself and has at home.  

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2