Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

Posted

It always amuses me as someone living in a draughty cold old farmhouse why people want to walk around their homes in winter in shorts with their heating systems maintaining a high temperature.I wear wool jerseys and thermals in the winter to keep warm in the huse as trying to keep the whole house warm would be an astronomical cost.. We have open fires but they are all in the gable ends of the house  so 50% of the heat goes out through the wall. No thought for energy conservation given when this house was built as there was a maid then who kept 10 open fires going most of the day even in the bedrooms.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snipper said:

I visit the elderly every few days. My mother who is 103 and hasn’t a clue who I am. She recognises her parents and grandparents in photos but not my father nor me  

I do ponder what is the point of life going on for so long.  I find it extremely upsetting. Now off to pay the care home fees at a rate of £1,000 per week. As my mother was very prudent and held back buying much for herself she has some savings meaning no benefits. Seems she should have spent them on herself instead of saying there will be a little financial help for the grand children. They certainly need help. 

I hear/get you/it.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

It always amuses me as someone living in a draughty cold old farmhouse why people want to walk around their homes in winter in shorts with their heating systems maintaining a high temperature.I wear wool jerseys and thermals in the winter to keep warm in the huse as trying to keep the whole house warm would be an astronomical cost.. We have open fires but they are all in the gable ends of the house  so 50% of the heat goes out through the wall. No thought for energy conservation given when this house was built as there was a maid then who kept 10 open fires going most of the day even in the bedrooms.

I should have added earlier that I've moved to wearing more wool clothing. I bought some pure wool socks and they are, compared to cotton or plastic, absolutely fantastic. I will, however, have to learn how to darn...

Posted
10 minutes ago, Devonian said:

I should have added earlier that I've moved to wearing more wool clothing. I bought some pure wool socks and they are, compared to cotton or plastic, absolutely fantastic. I will, however, have to learn how to darn...

Plastic socks?! Hmm.....never tried them myself

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Plastic socks?! Hmm.....never tried them myself

Every word has to be so precisely put doesn't it :oldrolleyes:

'Socks made of an artificial fibre derived, in most cases, from fossil fuels' it is then

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 4

Posted
30 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Most sane video on MSM radio I`ve seen.

It starts with a clearly biased spinning of what the protestors are saying ('we're all going to die in 11 years' - no, they're not saying that...) and then O'Neil is talking about 'fundamentalist cults'.  Further insults and abuse follows, plenty of 'whataboutism' too. Indeed, I'm now five minutes in and it's more like two right wing blokes ranting on...Now they're ad homming Thunberg, sigh...

There was zero, absolutely zero, discussion of the evidence. data and observations - that would interfere with the political message talk radio and O'Neil are pushing. As to 'positive steps we can take to help the planet'? Zero.

I haven't bothered with any more of their bias and propaganda.

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

From next week I will be receiving twice weekly deliveries of bottled milk.

I try and buy products made from recycled and/or biodegradable material.

I have stopped buying kitchen paper towels and I have bought reusable bamboo kitchen towels.

I recycle more, now.

In my back garden, I have created a home for nature where I have bird nesting boxes, hedgehog home, small pond as well as growing native wildflowers, trees and shrubs.

I have now got a water butt to collect rainwater.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

You can now buy socks and other types of clothing made from bamboo.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, whatever we do decide to do, the crisis is accelerating: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49773869

Well I will not be jetting (private) into the next pointless opulent wedding wearing a frock that would cost most a years wages.

Instead, just like the last 30 years I will tend my lovely carbon sucking oxygen producing garden and enjoy life and health for as long as I can.

Crisis, accelerating doom or whatever it is has no bearing whatsoever upon my conscience.

• Like 2

Posted
On 21/09/2019 at 13:42, Katrine Basso said:

What is the particular advantage of bamboo material as oppose say cotton? Surely must be an industrial process for its conversion. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, Snipper said:

What is the particular advantage of bamboo material as oppose say cotton? Surely must be an industrial process for its conversion. 

From a growing point of view, bamboo needs very little water and no manmade irrigation generally, it's also very fast growing. Cotton is extremely thirsty and soil degrading. 

But yes, I believe bamboo needs sodium hydroxide to be turned into a material, so there is a flip side I guess. 

Posted
56 minutes ago, Paul said:

From a growing point of view, bamboo needs very little water and no manmade irrigation generally, it's also very fast growing. Cotton is extremely thirsty and soil degrading. 

But yes, I believe bamboo needs sodium hydroxide to be turned into a material, so there is a flip side I guess. 

Aye, there's no easy solution.  

I sometimes worry that so much of my clothing is made from artificial fiber (mostly polyester and fleece).  But what are the options?  Cotton is also bad for the environment.  And presumably, if eating lamb is bad, so too is farming sheep for wool?  

Maybe we should just adopt nudity as the norm?   

• Like 2

Posted

Here is what I have found about Bamboo verses Organic Cotton

http://www.shantigreen.com/bamboo-vs-organic-cotton-better-environment/

In summary, when looking at all factors, there are a number of reasons to believe that bamboo is better for the environment than organic cotton. As it grows, bamboo produces more use-able material from a smaller area of land, while having a positive rather than negative impact on the local water table and soil quality. It also produces vast amounts of oxygen and has a cooling effect on the ground temperature in the location where it grows. The only knock on bamboo is that the process of turning it into a fabric is not completely natural. But many of the organic cotton products being sold today are actually mercerised cotton, which has been treated with the same substance that is used in producing bamboo viscose.

We support organic cotton because it is a much better alternative to conventionally grown cotton. But we think bamboo will be a better long-term solution for the planet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
On 21/09/2019 at 13:42, Katrine Basso said:

Yes, I have quite a lot of socks, T shirts and shorts and Mrs C also has these and leggings made from Bamboo. V comfy. Bambooclothing.co.uk good value especially in the sales!

I also buy quite a lot if Rogan gear, it may not be all natural fibre but it us very hard wearing generally. I have T shirts worn and washed regularly and they still look new after 6 years at least. Usually buy their gear in sales too! 

• Like 1

Posted
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:46, Devonian said:

It starts with a clearly biased spinning of what the protestors are saying ('we're all going to die in 11 years' - no, they're not saying that...) and then O'Neil is talking about 'fundamentalist cults'.  Further insults and abuse follows, plenty of 'whataboutism' too. Indeed, I'm now five minutes in and it's more like two right wing blokes ranting on...Now they're ad homming Thunberg, sigh...

There was zero, absolutely zero, discussion of the evidence. data and observations - that would interfere with the political message talk radio and O'Neil are pushing. As to 'positive steps we can take to help the planet'? Zero.

I haven't bothered with any more of their bias and propaganda.

Greta Thunberg Wants You Afraid.

https://www.rt.com/news/469534-greta-thunberg-fear-business/

We should be afraid of our changing climate, but we should also be afraid of zealots with good intentions.

[ I disagree. WHY should we be afraid of changing climate? Climate is always changing. Climate is most affected by the Sun, latitude, the tilt f the eart's axis, movements in the Earth's wind belts, the difference in temperatures of land and sea, and topography.

And that's the basics never talked about the narrow minded scientific bias is unbelievable when it comes to climate change full stop.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

We should be afraid of our changing climate, but we should also be afraid of zealots with good intentions.

[ I disagree. WHY should we be afraid of changing climate? Climate is always changing. Climate is most affected by the Sun, latitude, the tilt f the eart's axis, movements in the Earth's wind belts, the difference in temperatures of land and sea, and topography.

And that's the basics never talked about the narrow minded scientific bias is unbelievable when it comes to climate change full stop.

Can you provide a reference I can read to support your view? If, that is, you don't think something else might be at play atm...

Edited by Devonian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, Snowyowl9 said:

I am kind of gobsmacked that you don't think that inaction, standing still, or by just buying a Fairtrade coffee will not lead to cataclysmic(for the human population and lifestyle as we know it) changes in the global weather and sea levels across the globe.

She isn't just looking to her own future on this planet, she is looking out for the next generations, some thing that none of our self interested politicians would even think worthy of anything other than a "I will encourage non-plastic straws in my constituency"pledge.

Look at the Ice loss, look at the glacier loss, look at how much of Greenland is not ice  - before the first snowfalls , look at the destruction on the Bahamas,  look at how the rainfall is increasing around Tropical storms and Hurricanes due to higher temps in the air....look at the severe firestorms...it is only going to get worse...

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, and I say this with a degree of pride, you'd nae get that load of arrant nonsense past my grandchildren... So (with Greta and XR hitting the headlines) there is at least some cause for optimism, about the future?:oldgood:

how old is your grandson?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It seems the bile still flows from the usual suspects...when youngsters do nothing, they're 'indolent, stained glass windowless good-for-nothing layabouts'; but, when they do 'get off their backsides and do something', they become hate-figures for gammons the world over. Sad, innit?:wallbash:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49855980

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

It seems the bile still flows from the usual suspects...when youngsters do nothing, they're 'indolent, stained glass windowless good-for-nothing layabouts'; but, when they do 'get off their backsides and do something', they become hate-figures for gammons the world over. Sad, innit?:wallbash:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49855980

There is now a helpline for such people:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I wonder if realisations such as these will provoke some positive action?