Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Positive changes: What kind of lifestyle changes are or might you be making going forward to help the planet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I’ve been thinking about this and really want to try and achieve some goals this year, started by genuinely looking at train travel to Europe for holiday plans - still would love to travel (and doubt I could curb flying 100%) but to try and make a change.

Also working hard on some software projects to change the direction of my career. Lucky to have a good steady job at the moment but it involves a huge amount of driving in, out and around London - and feel ashamed of my carbon legacy to this point. Was thinking if I can work from home then the planet benefits as well 

Getting the train a lot more too - went to Somerset on the train over Easter and it wasn’t too much of a difference in price from driving (mind you it was only me)

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm toying with toppling the Capitalist system.........

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
23 minutes ago, The PIT said:

This is great information - I think people are stuck between a seemingly hopeless personal quest to be ‘greener’ or trying to lobby government and/or companies, who typically won’t listen anyway.

For me it is a sense of hope and purpose which is the driver to change - but also knowing it’s generally better for wellbeing:  eating less meat means better health, walking to the station when I can and travelling on public buses and trains means more exercise (which means better sleep) - even things like drinking less imported alcohol means I drink better tasting and fresher beer ( ).

Someone on the radio once pointed out that even if it didn’t make a difference to the warming trend in the end - who wouldn’t want to live in a greener, cleaner and more sustainable world?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Someone on the radio once pointed out that even if it didn’t make a difference to the warming trend in the end - who wouldn’t want to live in a greener, cleaner and more sustainable world?

Indeed, and in many cases we can all save money and live more efficiently too, even if it may take a bit of effort. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Working from home is such a no-brainer. More employers need to implement it, especially in areas where public transport is shocking (like where I live). Part of the reason I quit traditional employment was the amount of time I spent driving around. Now, self-employed and developing my own businesses, I still drive but not nearly as much and can work from home.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, The PIT said:

Humm, so if I say I haven't flown since the early 1990s, I drive a tiny, old, 110k miles done, car, I'll get accused of virtue signalling

Ok,I better say I do nothing then. Oh, but can I put a good word in for pure (or as near a damn it) wool socks? They're brilliant, much warmer than cotton and they never fall down in wellies and end up by your toes like all other socks do. No more cotton or plastic socks for me! Oh, and any drinks I buy are in glass bottles (damn, I'm virtue signalling again...).

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, Devonian said:

Humm, so if I say I haven't flown since the early 1990s, I drive a tiny, old, 110k miles done, car, I'll get accused of virtue signalling

Ok,I better say I do nothing then. Oh, but can I put a good word in for pure (or as near a damn it) wool socks? They're brilliant, much warmer than cotton and they never fall down in wellies and end up by your toes like all other socks do. No more cotton or plastic socks for me! Oh, and any drinks I buy are in glass bottles (damn, I'm virtue signalling again...).

how much CO2 does that tiny old 110k mile car put out?  good job this wasn't on twitter the Climate mafia would have called you out and shamed you buy now

Posted
6 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

how much CO2 does that tiny old 110k mile car put out?  good job this wasn't on twitter the Climate mafia would have called you out and shamed you buy now

And thus, with that expose of my hypocrisy, the problem goes away...........?

Edited by Devonian
  • Like 4

Posted

Well I walk to work when I can however IBS and increasingly painful joints mean at times I take a car to work. I no longer use the tumble dryer and all the house hold bulbs are LED. Would like to get a hybrid car but then how environmental are the batteries long term.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What if everybody had to practise organic sex? 

Posted
16 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

???

Surely 'every little helps'?

When I gave up smoking, the first few times, one 'lapse' and I threw in the towel........ does that make any kind of sense?

If we all did one thing to 'save the world' each day would they not all add up into one very big thing each day?

I grew weary of the " so you want us all to go back to living in caves?", " You use a laptop!", "You eat meat" an age ago realising how vacuous such 'logic' is.

The emissions of Dev's car is surely massively offset by the drain on earth resources to 'construct' the cars needed to keep up with the lower emission models do you not think?

How much GHG's would be released in producing the parts, transporting the parts, assembling the parts compared to the 'extra' emissions Dev's battle horse produces?

As I possetted, 'Vacuous'.

For me it is mend and make do so to limit the rape of our world of its resources and the emissions producing 'new' demand. Stitch it , patch it, repair it and save those wastes?

Edited by Gray-Wolf
  • Like 7

Posted

I like the I'm carbon free worn by some cyclists. I presume his/her bike has magically appeared without any manufacturing.  If you want to be carbon free when going to work walk. Of course if you've got to go between cities you can't walk.

Posted

Other than ensuring our plastic waste and paper/ cardboard waste, plus food waste are separated for collection, probably not a lot else to be brutally honest.

Our flying carbon footprint is bl##dy horrendous!!

Posted

I'm still looking at the overthrow of the capitalist system and the global redistribution of wealth and talent thrown at the issues we have created for all on this 3rd rock from the sun!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

apart from living as 'green' as we can, (recycling, solar pannels , fitted extra insulation etc) we also have a wildlife garden where we have boxes for bees birds and bats. we dont use chemicals, especially slug pellets - they should be totally outlawed. they arent 'slug' pellets anyway, they are 'kill anything that ingests us - directly or indirectly - pellets.
gardens can make a great difference in helping stop the slide of most of our wildlife species, and in so doing help in a small way to lessen the effects of global warming.
this is something we can all do, plant wildlife 'valuable' plants instead of gaudy bedding plants, grow hedges instead of fences or at least grow climbers over the fences. plant trees and shrubs and dig out ponds.

• Like 8

Posted

By shifting what time I commute to work (earlier) I can now drive a more direct route to work as less traffic saving  me 15miles a day!! plus switching to working one day a week at home saves me just over 6000 miles per year. I get less stress from one less commute and less traffic plus reducing my co2 by nearly 2 tons a year!! That's a win win!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
43 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

apart from living as 'green' as we can, (recycling, solar pannels , fitted extra insulation etc) we also have a wildlife garden where we have boxes for bees birds and bats. we dont use chemicals, especially slug pellets - they should be totally outlawed. they arent 'slug' pellets anyway, they are 'kill anything that ingests us - directly or indirectly - pellets.
gardens can make a great difference in helping stop the slide of most of our wildlife species, and in so doing help in a small way to lessen the effects of global warming.
this is something we can all do, plant wildlife 'valuable' plants instead of gaudy bedding plants, grow hedges instead of fences or at least grow climbers over the fences. plant trees and shrubs and dig out ponds.

"Metaldehyde slug pellets banned. An announcement from DEFRA has banned metaldehyde slug pellets from Spring 2020. They say "metaldehyde poses an unacceptable risk to birds and mammals." The ban will also stop farmers from creating wide spread pollution of rivers and freshwaters with these toxic pellets."

The above is very good news I think.
I've never used them in my garden or at the allotment as we have frogs, toads, hedgehogs, birds etc to try to care for.
Sadly though, wildlife numbers have fallen greatly of late.

• Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

"Metaldehyde slug pellets banned. An announcement from DEFRA has banned metaldehyde slug pellets from Spring 2020. They say "metaldehyde poses an unacceptable risk to birds and mammals." The ban will also stop farmers from creating wide spread pollution of rivers and freshwaters with these toxic pellets."

The above is very good news I think.
I've never used them in my garden or at the allotment as we have frogs, toads, hedgehogs, birds etc to try to care for.
Sadly though, wildlife numbers have fallen greatly of late.

is this a total ban? or is it specific to agriculture or domestic?...

i hope its total...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I think there should be greater incentives to allow employees to get out of the office and work from home for at least part of the week. With modern technology, do folk really need to make a long, expensive, polluting commute to sit in an office doing exactly what they could be doing at home? It's obviously not suitable for all vocations, but it could make a big difference.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I probably couldn't get much greener if I tried. But that's not because I've given-up on life's luxuries, it's a result of the fact that I'm just not interested in the 'must haves' of modern living.

Back in the throwaway designer-label-days of the 1980s, I was a bit of an outcast: whilst others were spending fortunes on brand-new jeans, complete with holes, I would purchase a whole pair and let wear, tear and time turn them into high fashion!

All my light bulbs are LEDs and I never light a room, when I'm not in it -- it costs less. I never waste water -- that costs less too. I wear my clothes until they're almost falling off -- again it costs less. Being green saves you money.

And I still insist that the simplest way for the UK to reduce its GHG emissions, would be for all new-build houses/factories to have solar panels, as standard?

Save money to save the planet?

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I probably couldn't get much greener if I tried. But that's not because I've given-up on life's luxuries, it's a result of the fact that I'm just not interested in the 'must haves' of modern living.

Back in the throwaway designer-label-days of the 1980s, I was a bit of an outcast: whilst others were spending fortunes on brand-new jeans, complete with holes, I would purchase a whole pair and let wear, tear and time turn them into high fashion!

All my light bulbs are LEDs and I never light a room, when I'm not in it -- it costs less. I never waste water -- that costs less too. I wear my clothes until they're almost falling off -- again it costs less. Being green saves you money.

And I still insist that the simplest way for the UK to reduce its GHG emissions, would be for all new-build houses/factories to have solar panels, as standard?

Save money to save the planet?

indeed.... labels were tags to be hidden, not worn as a 'badge of honour'.. i hate the whole 'designer' concept.. it means diddly squat to me and i believe only idiots think it does mean anything. ...... im definitely not 'ab fab'.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

is this a total ban? or is it specific to agriculture or domestic?...

i hope its total...

https://www.growlikegrandad.co.uk/allotment/pests-diseases/metaldehyde-slug-pellets-finally-banned-alternatives.html

Hi, I think this link tells you what you ask 

• Thanks 1