Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

Hi everyone.

Could anyone tell me if High Wycombe and Aylesbury Bucks areas are likely to get anything tonight or next few days?

I have a child who is extremely scared of thunder and I'd love to help him get over it if we are in the firing line.

Extremely close here at present. 

Thanks for your help guy's. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Caught some lovely structure last night. Just South of Hailsham, E Sussex, looking toward the coast.

This courtesy of one of my closest friend’s Dad in Eastbourne...crank the sound right up!! Amazing! 3EC4CEA2-31E0-4E40-B801-02CA5200BA65.MP4

In my storm watching spot for the night at Caterham view point on the southern edge of M25?

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Here you go, guys: the latest from the Met...and a 'bonus' I can't get rid of!:oops:

I posted one of his. I'm an Eastbournian, so I was really jealous of this. THEN i found footage taken from the sea front,They are quite something. 

really made me hungry for home ?

There are 4 parts. 

Edited by Dami
  • Like 3
47 minutes ago, Harry said:

As a Man of Kent, somewhere south or east of Ashford is good viewing territory. Spent 20 years of summers in and around Dymchurch and it’s all flat like the US plains - but as I read quite accurately recently, lots of roads are hedge lined but a find a good gate/entry to a field and it’s flat flat flat 

Just to the NE of Mt Caburn has some great views up toward Canterbury - lots of little spots to pull over. Might try some new locations tomo tho

38 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Too much uncertainty to give a definite answer I am afraid. Current model output would say your chances are good provided there is no eastward shift. It may come down to radar watching and seeing where things develop over northern France tomorrow.

Ok cheers ?

31 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Amazing structure on that

9A05F91D-BE95-4667-8103-4EC114EECF29.jpeg

From what I've heard, smooth appearance (as opposed to cauliflower) is a telltale feature of an evelated thunderstorm and that is well exhibited in that image

Edited by Another Kent clipper
4 minutes ago, poseidon said:

Hope this comes off......

Screenshot_2.thumb.jpg.668bb6591fd3581566f26b0020d6b366.jpg

Well that’s very interesting - thinking later and starting much further south (note that does not preclude northern areas)

Camber is great for day time MCS imports.

I took this a few years ago ... got the terminology wrong due to the excitement !! 1 of 3

• Like 1

First signs of instability here - look at the vertical elements of these bad boys 

96C33B5E-2957-473F-AAC4-B52DDE27B05D.jpeg

7F41F408-B06B-4F06-9EF0-22AE703562FE.jpeg

• Like 3

Light rain here also, taking the bins out a few minutes ago and having a look up at the sky there's some noticeable mid-layer convection going on as the destabilization begins it's early stages, a bit of lower-level shear also with a few smaller Cu clouds heading NE-SW opposite the main rain band.

6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I was just thinking about this very video ?

Vid 2 and 3 is when it actually hit... 

Mad lightning here at 19 secs 

Edited by TN26
  • Like 1

Evening all. 

Should there be any storms in the channel late tomorrow afternoon and through tomorrow evening I will be at the end of worthing pier (assuming its safe, and worthing isn't going to get a direct hit) 

So if anyone wants to join me they can. 

• Like 1

Convective Weather still hinting that Lincs Yorks and East Mids are in for a main chance tonight. We had a little shower earlier though so not sure if that would reduce chances. Still early I guess

• Like 1
Just now, tomp456 said:

Evening all. 

Should there be any storms in the channel late tomorrow afternoon and through tomorrow evening I will be at the end of worthing pier (assuming its safe, and worthing isn't going to get a direct hit) 

So if anyone wants to join me they can. 

Awww, I wish I could come!

well if there are any storms in the early hours, whether they hit Wales or not, the storms that came from a similar direction, in Spring 2017... were incredible. I could see the flashes in Plymouth from South Wales..  

Does anyone remember that event? my video notes the date as 27/05/2017. 

Anyway, keep your eyes peeled ! ?

• Like 1

Hi all, currently located in Lisburn, N. Ireland. Think our chances are pretty much scuppered here, interesting skies all the same, hanging on to a bit of hope during the early hours. 

IMG_20190623_184338.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like the models took quite a few people by suprise for tonight, first PJB and now ConvectiveWeather backtracking and refining the risk area to Lincs/Yorks area 

Not often that a MDT goes bust for them

Still fingers crossed and eagerly watching the radar

Edited by ChezWeather
2 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Looks like the models took quite a few people by suprise for tonight, first PJB and now ConvectiveWeather backtracking and refining the risk area to Lincs/Yorks area 

Not often that a MDT goes bust for them

Still fingers crossed and eagerly watching the radar

I just checked their website and it doesn’t look like anything is different.

• Like 2