Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
23 minutes ago, TomW said:

(Hatch) or (I'm in the Hatch) Is now and banned word from this forum please don't use it ever again as we may be cursed from storms! 

Don’t blame the hatch!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, LionKingGamer said:

There wasnt even any thunder in the Hatch. It was a worse repeat of last week except even less people got to see the light show

Last week was a far more accurate forecast though, and for the far SE it was a memorable event.

Oh well you win some and you lose some. Can’t wait for our one allotted storm next year...

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive
58 minutes ago, TomW said:

(Hatch) or (I'm in the Hatch) Is now and banned word from this forum please don't use it ever again as we may be cursed from storms! 

Lol. I used "in Barry's Hatch" last night and people took it forward. I promise never to use the words again!    Although we could consider an inverse hatch - where no action occurs. outside it everything kicks off.

Just doing some work outside - gave up as it is SO muggy. (I'm retired, so not exactly a landscape gardener or anything...)

Instruments showing 64% humidity.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Lol. I used "in Barry's Hatch" last night and people took it forward. I promise never to use the words again!    Although we could consider an inverse hatch - where no action occurs. outside it everything kicks off.

Just doing some work outside - gave up as it is SO muggy. (I'm retired, so not exactly a landscape gardener or anything...)

Instruments showing 64% humidity.

We could call it a weather whatch

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I confess about mentioning that some of the storms moving up from the Channel would regenerate and that the thunder and lightning would increase once they hit the South and South-Eastern UK shores. 

Got that quite wrong and am happy to admit that. (Although not much of an expert with storm forecasting).

Wasn’t expecting anything here, but even though storms aren’t the easiest thing in the galaxy to predict, can understand some of the disappointment you guys have had. The forecasters can only do their best, to be honest. Their may not have been anything really, really spectacular last night and this morning for most, but pleased that some of you got to see some thunder and lightning. Not confident that their will be much in the way of a thundery breakdown for Southern UK areas during the weekend (unless I guess the Low Pressure from the West can track a bit more further South. Northern areas however could be in for a surprise). Mind you, it is still a little while away to worry too much about at the moment. 

Apart from quite a decent storm last year in May, and the impressive overnight light show in July some years ago, feels like thundery activity in some parts has decreased. Pretty sure here, we used to get one or two decent afternoon thunderstorms (almost) every year back towards the 90’s and early 2000’s. And I think a few instances of some strong overnight continuous thunderstorms. It’s possible that selective memory could be getting in the way, though it still feels like thundery activity, along with intense, torrential, downpours to go along with it, seems fewer in the last 10 years. Bar a few odd exceptions. 

With a good chunk of Summer to go, it’s good idea just to have faith and pray that we’ll get some smashing bangers within the next couple of months or so! Especially should the rest of this week, including the remainder of today, struggle to deliver much in the way of thundery activity. Could become very warm or boiling for some of the hot weather enthusiasts in here, particularly over Southern areas.

(Although I still understand quite a number of us in here are after storms, too). ⚡

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Correcting the odd mistake
  • Like 5

Posted

Today is so warm and humid in surrey. Feels like there *should* be a storm but I guess if there isn’t anything on the cards I can finally start organising my life instead

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
18 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Apart from quite a decent storm last year in May, and the impressive overnight light show in July some years ago, feels like thundery activity in some parts has decreased. Pretty sure here, we used to get one or two decent afternoon thunderstorms (almost) every year back towards the 90’s and early 2000’s. And I think a few instances of some strong overnight continuous thunderstorms. It’s possible that selective memory could be getting in the way, though it still feels like thundery activity, along with intense, torrential, downpours to go along with it, seems fewer in the last 10 years. Bar a few odd exceptions. 

My neighbour and I discussed this only yesterday.   You are quite right we used to get far more thunderstorms than we currently seem to get.  I well remember storms, both as a child and an adult, that used to rumble on through the night and sometimes well into the following morning.  I do also remember afternoon storms as I would often feel panicked about getting home from work in time to get the horses in out of the storms when I could see them building up during the afternoon.  Does anyone know what, if anything, has changed climate wise for the UK to explain why thunderstorms seem more of a rarity these days other than in the SE of the UK?  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
54 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

I confess about mentioning that some of the storms moving up from the Channel would regenerate and that the thunder and lightning would increase once they hit the South and South-Eastern UK shores. 

Got that quite wrong and am happy to admit that. (Although not much of an expert with storm forecasting).

Wasn’t expecting anything here, but even though storms aren’t the easiest thing in the galaxy to predict, can understand some of the disappointment you guys have had. The forecasters can only do their best, to be honest. Their may not have been anything really, really spectacular last night and this morning for most, but pleased that some of you got to see some thunder and lightning. Not confident that their will be much in the way of a thundery breakdown for Southern UK areas during the weekend (unless I guess the Low Pressure from the West can track a bit more further South. Northern areas however could be in for a surprise). Mind you, it is still a little while away to worry too much about at the moment. 

With a good chunk of Summer to go, it’s good idea just to have faith and pray that we’ll get some smashing bangers within the next couple of months or so! Especially should the rest of this week, including the remainder of today, struggle to deliver much in the way of thundery activity. Could become very warm or boiling some of the hot weather enthusiasts in here, particularly over Southern areas.

(Although I still understand quite a number of us in here are after storms, too). ⚡

Definitely agree with you on this. An obvious decline in thundery activity over several years especially in the east (Thetford used to be called the lightning capital of the UK). Even our traditionally active month (August) here has been noticeably quieter over the past 10 years. Year on year storms have been conspicuous by their absence and later every year.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
22 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Definitely agree with you on this. An obvious decline in thundery activity over several years especially in the east (Thetford used to be called the lightning capital of the UK). Even our traditionally active month (August) here has been noticeably quieter over the past 10 years. Year on year storms have been conspicuous by their absence and later every year.

Do the MetOffice keep any records relating to thunderstorms/ lightning?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

27 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

4 minutes ago, AppleUK 123 said:

Do the MetOffice keep any records relating to thunderstorms/ lightning?

If you click on Lightning strikes in the "climate variable" section and actual in the "map type" section you can see lightning for each month all the way back to January 2001, might be of interest to compare and possibly find trends of more active months for certain regions  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Love how the little north Norfolk storm earlier is still going strong halfway across the North Sea to Denmark! SMH. 

Posted
42 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Indeed the average from the  70s  to 2000  was over 14 days of thunder  in the East and South East.  Certainly in the past few years there seems to have been a decline on that figure 

fact_sheet_no._2.pdf

Edited by weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
14 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

If you click on Lightning strikes in the "climate variable" section and actual in the "map type" section you can see lightning for each month all the way back to January 2001, might be of interest to compare and possibly find trends of more active months for certain regions  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

That is a quality link mate - cheers for that! 

This was the greatest month in living memory for me in the West of Scotland - never seen thunderstorms like it since! Truly spectacular - May 4th 2006 was the greatest lightning display I have ever seen! Three hours of pure electrical and rumbling filth!

D7C6E5A9-64F0-4A12-997C-6B2E41B5AFEE.thumb.png.efcc10008d8478dd09ef5e682d399fb3.png

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4

Posted

After Saturday, I notice the BBC mention it turning cloudier as the next front approaches from the West. Is there any info on this and what conditions it might bring with it?

Posted
56 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

If you think it's bad in the east try moving to the North Midlands, I haven't had a storm at my home location for 3 years now!!

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

That is a quality link mate - cheers for that! 

This was the greatest month in living memory for me in the West of Scotland - never seen thunderstorms like it since! Truly spectacular - May 4th 2006 was the greatest lightning display I have ever seen! Three hours of pure electrical and rumbling filth!

D7C6E5A9-64F0-4A12-997C-6B2E41B5AFEE.thumb.png.efcc10008d8478dd09ef5e682d399fb3.png

Truly spectacular indeed that night .. i was quite scared and ive never been scared in a storm , but some of the CG's were wayyy too close for comfort , hard to believe that was 13 years ago we had our last decent storm here..

Don't think ill ever see another like it in my lifetime , i can only live in hope though..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

This is very useful. Seeing how lightning storms have progressed since the early 2000’s. Cheers for that! 

• Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

After Saturday, I notice the BBC mention it turning cloudier as the next front approaches from the West. Is there any info on this and what conditions it might bring with it?

A weak cold front from the West introducing fresher, clearer air = a few hours of low cloud & patchy drizzle. Unless you’re very lucky!

Posted
55 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

100% disappointment I would assume

• Like 2

Posted
56 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

100% disappointment I would assume

Posted

I am nearly 50, always liked Tstorms , and there has without doubt been a decline , its very notable here. 

70's 80's 90's were decent decades for reliable  thunder if it was forecast , even early '00 's but the reduction started to be more noticeable. There were still busts ,  but more often they came to materialise , were as now its more often the bust senario

I just wonder if it is the recent years of low solar activity, it would be the most logical explanation,but if this is the case, why do our friends over the channel still get copious amounts of thundery activity ?          

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Whilst I wasn't expecting anything this far west last night, I was surprised at the lack of activity further east as the forecasts leading up to it seemed to speak with more certainty of an 'event' than usual. 

It has been a terrible year down here for storms. Following the absolute humdinger we had in April last year, I haven't seen a storm since last August now. Very disappointing and doesn't look like there's anything on the horizon either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
3 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Wasn’t expecting anything here,

Plume wise no......got to see my first flash for over a year.....thanks to a little Welsh import.

excuse my smugness.....