Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

I thought I might get a bit of lightning, but the storm had lost a bit of intensity. 

Learned this from visits to the hills near Hambledon over In Hants. Storms looked really close on radar but even when it got dark I couldn’t see anything.

It’s possible if the storms are already fully mature and/or there are clear skies ahead of the cells.

If not they have to get fairly close before you see what I like to call the ‘atmos flashes’ (flashes on the periphery of your vision) but typically you’ll see the forks on the very horizon first.

It’s a great thing to experience either way - gives you a real sense of scale as they approach

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, NLC
  • Location: Glasnevin Latitude: 53°22′49″ N Longitude: 6°15′51″ W Elevation above sea level: 40 m = 131 ft

It's just waiting on it's little brothers and sisters to join the fun, put the kettle on folks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Nice cluster of storms still yet to leave France and on target with most forecasts for the SE emphasis target areas in my opinion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

What is DLS? Is that something like deep level shear? 

Close.  It's a way of settling rain affected cricket matches, the Duckworth Lewis Stern method, I'll get my coat... 

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Now just southwest of London at Cobham services. Considering the storms are looking like reinvigorating once on our shores, I am thinking I would be better off staying near to London as opposed to heading to the coast (Brighton).

• Like 5

Posted

It seems like that band moisture might just be heavy rain, with the possibility of some embedded lightning and thunder once it reaches Brighton.

The cells behind it seem to be sparking up again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

That Cherbourg peninsula cell is now electrified. 

Interesting anticipation coming up within this next hour. Looks like possibly more cells ready to fire up behind it too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 23/06/2019 at 20:01, Lu. said:

Incredibly humid here on the south coast. 

BBC just updated to thunder around midnight / 1am 

big clouds are starting to appear

This looks like one of those American storms that feeds from one spot and spreads out from there, getting wider and wider. Forgot what they are called, and I very much doubt this is one. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

One thing I learned from 25 years of storm chasing, is that amazing storms that do occur tend to break the weather in that location for a month or so and any repeat of storms of the same level usually occur somewhere else.   Not to say the SE has used up all it's atmospheric energy like a battery it might well explode into life later as the elevated storms get going.   It does happen with Kent getting repeated imports but quite rare you will get a same repeat in the UK in the same location, of the same intensity. 

As the heat builds for the rest of the week the SW,  devon, cornwall might actually see something fantastic

Edited by StormChaseUK
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

I’m expecting the system to destabilise or ‘blow’ up once it gets to the UK, that’s what these systems tend to do, but we shall see in a few hours...

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
2 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Now just southwest of London at Cobham services. Considering the storms are looking like reinvigorating once on our shores, I am thinking I would be better off staying near to London as opposed to heading to the coast (Brighton).

Seems like the London Area might be the best vantage point.

Although, they do appear to be moving in a more NE direction now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I have been watching that Wrexham cell all afternoon trundling ESE into brum and still going while all the other ppn is travelling ENE,that is a novelty.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow
13 minutes ago, thunderhead 2005 said:

small cell just behind the rainband near st anne, is this when they start to explode looks like it 

Keeping an eye on this one 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Reverse to what I was expecting the western edge looks like the most powerful, with the eastern edge looking like thundery rain, heavy rain.

Posted
8 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

One thing I learned from 25 years of storm chasing, is that amazing storms that do occur tend to break the weather in that location for a month or so and any repeat of storms of the same level usually occur somewhere else.   Not to say the SE has used up all it's atmospheric energy like a battery it might well explode into life later as the elevated storms get going.   It does happen with Kent getting repeated imports but quite rare you will get a same repeat in the UK in the same location, of the same intensity. 

As the heat builds for the rest of the week the SW,  devon, cornwall might actually see something fantastic

I'm not sure there is even forecast to be any sort of thundery breakdown at the weekend is there?

Looks more like the Atlantic just shoving its way back in 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Meto radar forecasts for tonight

image.thumb.png.5d993fa0b54f7472386ff7e8c84f1f93.pngimage.thumb.png.e492ee65f829d8d7d7d2ff202466c269.png image.thumb.png.182a92614f82daf653360ea1a6e14b66.png   image.thumb.png.e8a054797b2f59d9f557b78c64743d04.png 

Seem to be underestimating the size of the area of rainfall so far. Will the lightning keep going?

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 1