Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

With one eye on the radar as well, the action looks to me from the latest model output to be further west, here precipitation on HIRLAM, the Finnish HIRLAM (12z at T16) and ICON-EU  (15z at T13):

image.thumb.jpg.7a2b0dae4461dd9d9257cd9a7f2f569f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.7355e82ee146d3ac43bb7b6121a59281.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.2872ea1a297551cbf54c4c9f9345b80e.jpg

But looks very much as it will be in the early hours of tomorrow morning...

Regards, Mike 

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive
5 minutes ago, dave reid said:

In my storm watching spot for the night at Caterham view point on the southern edge of M25

IMAG7528.jpg

Very nice. Do you get the locals popping around to give you 'bovver'? It can be a bit dodgy around parts of Caterham...   Nice and close to a tree, too, for added action.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm hearing distant thunder but strikes not showing on blitzortung .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!
4 minutes ago, dave reid said:

In my storm watching spot for the night at Caterham view point on the southern edge of M25

IMAG7528.jpg

That looks a great spot ??

Posted
6 minutes ago, dave reid said:

IMAG7528.jpg

Reckon i know that spot. Thats where the North downs crosses towards Chaldon? With the airport to the right?

If i didn't have work in the morning - i'd have come up and joined you. I missed out last week out of sheer laziness and that french storm doesn't look like it will get here until about 3am.

Edited by Steve Shears

Posted

As I stated earlier on I feel that (if you look at the radar returns) storms will start firing up ahead of main band west of Pompey and into London and for the main crackerjack into west of Brighton northeastwards..

Edited by london-snow

Posted
2 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

Skies clearing leaving stunning cloudscapes, i think we have seen and heard all we are going to tonight.

IMAG5093.jpg

IMAG5092.jpg

IMAG5091.jpg

We have skies similar to that and yeah I agree, might get rain in the morning but that's probably all it's going to be

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

I'm in reading services. Do I drive to bognor regis, gave a swim and watch the storms come over the channel, or do I sit tight ... tough one! I may have an earlier night overall if I get down there... what's everyone's thoughts? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Mustn't be much shear around, hence that Birmingham storm collapsing and then rebuilding 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Current view in Channel. 

Should see some lightning soon DSC_0711.thumb.JPG.690bc4b6452dd11a1c8fe2cca314714c.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, sparky1972 said:

Skies clearing leaving stunning cloudscapes, i think we have seen and heard all we are going to tonight.

IMAG5093.jpg

IMAG5092.jpg

IMAG5091.jpg

Keep the faith my man. This could just be the start. That lot over France will probably pass near us in the small hours in the morning, and maybe even spawn more storms in its outflow vicinity! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
29 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Tooth must have been rotten and I didn't know it, snapped off at the gumline with barely a crack. Now I look like a proper redneck. Hurts all to hell. Done up on Solpadeine and will have to see how the night progresses. Difficult to focus on storms with the pain. What an absolute bummer. 
Good luck for everyone chasing tonight, I hope to at least get out the front door and snap some lightning from the street.

Seriously off topic...but if you have any cloves then soften it with a little chew and hold it on the pain if you can. Contains stuff that is mildly anaesthetic and worked for me when I broke a molar. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, samadamsuk said:

I'm in reading services. Do I drive to bognor regis, gave a swim and watch the storms come over the channel, or do I sit tight ... tough one! I may have an earlier night overall if I get down there... what's everyone's thoughts? 

You want to be near the A27 in case it shoots NE, although current posts seem to suggest a more northerly track?

Not every good at reading weather stuff, but Brighton maybe better - then you can access A27/A23. You'd be close to Ditching beacon.

Edited by Steve Shears
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

I wonder whether the western boundary of the 'plume of potential' (i.e. the heat low) is marked by the squally looking line running SW from Southampton?

If so, I'd watch out for developments west of the current main cluster in response to outflow boundaries. As well as east, of course.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Very nice. Do you get the locals popping around to give you 'bovver'? It can be a bit dodgy around parts of Caterham...   Nice and close to a tree, too, for added action.

hopefully not. planning on having my dinner and getting a bit of sleep, going to leave the tailgate open so I hopefully get rudely awaken 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
2 minutes ago, samadamsuk said:

If I were chasing I'd be heading to bognor, looks a good bet for landfall 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
2 minutes ago, samadamsuk said:

If it were me, I would be tempted to go west of Brighton, Worthing maybe?  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 minutes ago, london-snow said:

As I stated earlier on I feel that (if you look at the radar returns) storms will start firing up ahead of main band west of Pompey and into London and for the main crackerjack into east of Brighton.

West of pompey?

• Like 2

Posted

I’m going to TRY and get some shut eye for a few hours (don’t be surprised to see me posting here in the next hour lol). Will set an alarm for 1:00 in case I do get off! Have fun everyone, wishing us all luck!! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

I wonder whether the western boundary of the 'plume of potential' (i.e. the heat low) is marked by the squally looking line running SW from Southampton?

If so, I'd watch out for developments west of the current main cluster in response to outflow boundaries. As well as east, of course.

I'm on that line and we're just getting pulse after pulse of heavy showers. Very steamy in between

• Like 1

Posted

People on twitter claiming that the storms over France are currently showing "supercell characteristics". Solely based on what can be seen on radar

The S word gets thrown around far too much 

Posted

Supercell?

Screenshot_20190624-214144_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1