Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

Supacell

Posted

Amazing pics and vids posted, thank you! Still thunderless here in Brum this year, but it's enjoyable to get a taste of what's happening down south.

Edit to add: That's quite an impressive spread of cloud from that MCS. I've actually been looking outside to see if it's visible from here!

Edited by Hirudine
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

Well it seems that here in Lowestoft has been directly in the firing line this evening. The last half an hour has been really active! 

Posted

And my number of thunder days remains at 1 clap of thunder in the past 14 months. 

Some amazing pictures in here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Distant bolts being seen off the Hastings coast. Yes, I have travelled that far

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Been out since 10pm last night. Watched lightning from when I left right through to 4am. Came across a small tree down along with several medium sized branches - winds were pretty gusty on the leading edge of the first storm. Also a small landslide, leaving a couple of large rocks in the road. A brief break and the next storm is nearing once more  

spacer.pngDSC_0649.thumb.JPG.0f5b488c24b2559da6966ee04cf80f31.JPG

20190619064645_LC34.jpg

Edited by <<Ryan>>
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

We have more thunder & lightning this morning!! How spoilt have we been this past 12 hours? It certainly makes up for the t-storm deficit!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

It was a bust here sadly.

Posted
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

And my number of thunder days remains at 1 clap of thunder in the past 14 months. 

Some amazing pictures in here.

Good lord is that how long we have been stormed starved! That's more than snow! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Good lord is that how long we have been stormed starved! That's more than snow! 

It's been appalling here. I'm hoping this "possible" juicy plume for next week comes off - might even drive to the midlands to catch some beastly homegrown storms should they fire in the humidity being modelled.

• Like 1

Posted

Had a totally amazing night, I left home in Buckinghamshire and decided to head down to hastings and camber sands at around 8pm last night, I got there at 10.30pm and the storm was amazing, the lightning was out of this world and the wind was so strong, not to mention the hail. Certainly one of the best storms I've seen in a while. I love heading to the south coast and witnessing the French imports.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
IMG_1091

IMG_1090

IMG_1086

IMG_1085

More Panoramas of the Littlehampton/Bognor storm last night, as seen from Worthing Pier. 

• Like 5

Posted
30 minutes ago, Grazy2266 said:

Had a totally amazing night, I left home in Buckinghamshire and decided to head down to hastings and camber sands at around 8pm last night, I got there at 10.30pm and the storm was amazing, the lightning was out of this world and the wind was so strong, not to mention the hail. Certainly one of the best storms I've seen in a while. I love heading to the south coast and witnessing the French imports.

This was looking towards Hastings from Pevensey Bay last night. Hopefully another round next week.

Untitled1.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Not even the dreaded "thundery rain" materialised. Saw two distant flashes towards Lowestoft around 2am; I've gone from being too far east to not far east enough now. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Andy Pepler said:

the sun will be up in 4 hours ..thats gonna put some fuel in the ole tank ..

How did my mate’s dad’s video do for the Fb ratings in the end @Andy Pepler?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain

Anything expected today whilst I’m off work

FF2BF673-620A-4B1F-AC42-D22125C375C3.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

It was worth the effort I’m sure!

Kind of, although I left it a little too late. My plan was to get into Kent for the evening, but did too much faffing about and only got as far as Essex by the time the storms were heading through Kent and northeast. Still, managed to get a few spectacular lightning bolts from the coast at Southend from storms a few miles away.

This morning the storm approaching Hastings lost its electrical activity as it made landfall, but I did capture a good amount of lightning out to sea.

I saw much more than I would have seen staying at home but I wish I had reached Kent just an hour earlier.

Now driving home and needing to stop at every services for fresh air to keep me awake.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Well it's another beautiful clear blue sky day here. Mylo and I didn't emerge from our beds until 09h00 (we're normally up at 06h00) as we were storm watching so late. We didn't get anything directly over head, but the strobe effects in the distance were, as usual, stunning. We also got some useful rain which made my decision last night not to water the crops a good one. Looking at Lightning Maps it seems, as usual again, that flatland (as we call the plateau that descends to the sea between here and the Charente coast) got most of the activity. Some super photos.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
2 hours ago, zmstorm said:

It was a bust here sadly.

As per.  I'm done with it, rinse and repeat every bloody year, always getting hopes up - thought I'd have learnt that by now.  

Posted

Storms did eventually fire over north France yesterday late afternoon which gave some impressive lightning displays for some south east coast areas , but storms struggled to reach down into the boundary. Pretty close miss for severe storms in the south east last night, but still gave plenty of rainfall and a good lightning show for some.
Today some showers across parts of Wales and the midlands as skies begin to clear and low level convergence zones set up. A warm nose at 550Hpa is likely to limit convection unless temperatures rise significantly. Best risk for thunderstorms is in the south east where another convergence zone sets up late afternoon. Although it does not show up well on the GFS derived forecast SkewT's there is some marked turning in the winds from the surface upwards. The best 700hPa winds do not overlay the convergence zone very well but  residual low level moisture could spark some storms. Confidence on this is fairly low at the moment in this due to cloud cover conditions.

nmmukwind18.png

nmmuk3hrprecip15.png

nmmuk3hrprecip18.png

sound-WestMidlands-18.png

sound-London-18.png

• Like 2