Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Yep at Brighton Pier atm, half a dozen flashes last 10-15 mins and seems to be back-building too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

Well what a storm here on sheppey north Kent not so much for the thunder all tho there was but the lightning was insane especially as I didn't think we was going to see anything. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

New strikes appearing near Brighton! Interesting!

Looks like those cells are forming on a outflow boundary of the main MCS moving NNE. You can see an instant chain forming.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Is that a trough forming in the Channel, to the south of Brighton? Running south west to north east?

Oops - same moment of posting, Dean.

Edited by StormLoser
  • Like 1

Posted

Some huge flash just then to the west, blitzorg just covered the whole area in flashes suddenly never seen that before. Some weird phenomenon?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot
5 minutes ago, Chris74 said:

Well what a storm here on sheppey north Kent not so much for the thunder all tho there was but the lightning was insane especially as I didn't think we was going to see anything. 

Funnily enough that's where I've wound up.  Parked up facing the sea.  Heading back to London now, I think there's nothing more to see in kent

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Some huge flash just then to the west, blitzorg just covered the whole area in flashes suddenly never seen that before. Some weird phenomenon?

Same again on a smaller scale, they dont register suggesting it's just huge cloud to cloud covering a wide area I reckon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
13 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Looks like those cells are forming on a outflow boundary of the main MCS moving NNE. You can see an instant chain forming.

And I assume won’t be particularly active because the MCS is taking up all the “juice”?

Posted

This has to be one on the largest storm systems I have seen affect the UK, look at the size of it

Screenshot_20190619-011205_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

One of the best nights for YEARS! Makes a chance from the awful year we've had so far for spring and summer

1.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Same again on a smaller scale, they dont register suggesting it's just huge cloud to cloud covering a wide area I reckon.

Hey. I just saw exactly the same thing on the lightning detector. Scattered multiples strikes. Like a chain reaction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

This has to be one on the largest storm systems I have seen affect the UK, look at the size of it

Good grief. And there's me stuck under a finger of drizzle running up towards Norwich from Cambridge. Couldn't make it up sounds about right....

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

And I assume won’t be particularly active because the MCS is taking up all the “juice”?

Not always, MCS are funny things which can last for hours but eventually begin to decay. (From Satellite, you can see that the top of the anvil over the SE is already starting to decay, meaning the system has began its weakening).

These outflows from the MCS are caused by convergence or destabilisation via 'mini cold fronts' from the strong downdrafts within the system and are separate from the main system. These can spawn new thunderstorms or even a new MCS. I think what you are seeing south of Brighton is just multi-cell thunderstorms forming from one of these outflows. 

(I also see you are studying meteorology, good choice! )

Edited by Dean E
  • Like 3

Posted

One thing which makes this system different perhaps is the amount of false strikes being produced constantly, and the extent the cloud to cloud reaches from the main storm. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

I believe these clouds I can see here are part of that system? 

image.thumb.png.041d69c3ec78445d3a298a3171bd9ed5.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
25 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

It’s a biggie. I’d have loved to have seen what June 24th 1994 looked like though. Apparently that had one of the biggest anvil tops the U.K. has ever seen. 

Put this into perspective with the MCS’s that Texas and the Midwest get, they had one last month that nearly covered the entire state of Texas!! Roughly the size of France! 

Looks like it’s been a brilliant night further south however. It’s panned out exactly like I thought it would tbh. More of a Kent slammer than a clipper though! 

Infact, here’s one I saw over there on satellite 

C407693E-7365-45FE-AE27-5F477A6EB11C.png

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

We appear to have a drying trend from the west, moving in. I guess it's a cap of high pressure from the south-west drying up the incoming cold front. I can see rainfall evaporating from south west to north east.

This is a bust for me. I cannot in any way see any new activity pepping up west of the current activity in the east, and the progress of the weather systems eastwards will push the stormy weather out into the north sea. 

It's been fun, and I'm pleased some folks got a good night out of it. As for the Met Office Yellow Stuff - 7/10. They didn't do too badly this time.

For me, off to bed now. G'night!

Posted

Is it safe to say it’s a bust for everywhere in the East Mids? 

Can’t see anything happening between now and tomorrow midday and they seem to be heading in the wrong direction too.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Is it safe to say it’s a bust for everywhere in the East Mids? 

Can’t see anything happening between now and tomorrow midday and they seem to be heading in the wrong direction too.

I'd say so seems to be heading North East into the North Sea now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
6 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

I'd say so seems to be heading North East into the North Sea now

It's just moving along the east coast now, I've seen a couple of flashes out towards Yarmouth but that's it. No point in staying up any longer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

I'm also heading to bed now, I recorded over 10 mins of footage of the storm crossing over my location

I'm sorry for the lightning quality, I haven't used my camera in ages so I've kind of forgotten how to focus with it properly and obviously wasn't thinking when a insane storm is currently going off over me. Anyway I hope you guys enjoy the video 

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 5