Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Seen a couple of tweets about storms in North Kent but on my side of the Thames?

You guessed it, just rain again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

There’s only 3 sferics thus far @Thunderstruck

Very dark here and the rain threatening to get much heavier here. Sky like an absolute maelstrom here - low level clouds screaming in from the NNE as the main rain slides in from the SE. Notably mild feeling air too all of a sudden. No thunder or lightning to report though sadly 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Seen a couple of tweets about storms in North Kent but on my side of the Thames?

You guessed it, just rain again

Just the odd rumble I think, haven't seen much 'storm' activity on the detectors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Theres people swimming in the outdoor pool at Westwood Ho, absolutely hammering it down there!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
20 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Theres people swimming in the outdoor pool at Westwood Ho, absolutely hammering it down there!!!

I was the only person in the David Lloyd Epsom outdoor pool earlier.....!! the rain was so heavy it hurt my eyes !!

Posted

Swear I just heard thunder...no sferics though!

Posted
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Just had a flash of lightning just to the south of me, was unexpected!

Where are you Ben? My parents messaged me to say they had an overhead clap of thunder just before 7. They're near Burghfield, south of Reading

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
Just now, Swansonson69 said:

What's the flooding like down south? 

We've had 26mm here in Reading and plenty more to come according to radar. Drains are almost full and localised flooding in places atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
Just now, THE MISSFITS said:

Where are you Ben? My parents messaged me to say they had an overhead clap of thunder just before 7. They're near Burghfield, south of Reading

Oh yeah I'm at the university in Reading atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
4 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

We've had 26mm here in Reading and plenty more to come according to radar. Drains are almost full and localised flooding in places atm.

Damn, I've had some heavy rain here but not as much as there was forecasted, seems to be all down South today. 

Edited by Swansonson69

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Had a couple of claps of thunder here in sm2. Nothing obvious any any lightning detection sites. Am I right in thinking they only show CG? 

Posted

Pretty big accumulations being shown on EURO4, expect another Amber Warning may soon be issued by UKMO

image.thumb.png.006c473d924eebc74481d25c07e56b11.png

Posted

Hi @John90, no they show IC as well. As I was thinking the same as I’m almost certain I heard thunder earlier and nothing showing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hi @John90, no they show IC as well. As I was thinking the same as I’m almost certain I heard thunder earlier and nothing showing.

I’m not so sure they do show all strikes. I’ve definitely observed lightning when there’s been no correspondence on blitzortung. 

Maybe it’s more to do with the strength of the bolt, and whether there’s enough flux generated by the amperage, in order to detect the sudden electromagnetic field generated. That’s how I assume it might work. 

I might be wrong! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Not too sure if lightning is going to get anywhere near Bedford tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

25mm here in North Hampshire. Been relentless since about 3pm. ☔☔☔

Posted

Typical  Bbc stated storms here in herts between 12 1 am. Then took the warning off. Now i noticed its back! Better get the ipod ready!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

Sporadic rumble time for some, there's a low end slight on the map...

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 11 Jun 2019 - 05:59 UTC Wed 12 Jun 2019

ISSUED 19:56 UTC Mon 10 Jun 2019

ISSUED BY: Dan

Broad upper troughing will persist across the British Isles on Tuesday, the main upper low located over northern France with a smaller (filling) upper low east of Shetland. Between these two features, heights will tend to rise which will tend to weaken the frontal boundary straddling Wales / northern England, leaving a zone of cloud and increasingly light, patchy rain.

South of this front, sufficient low-level moisture will exist (dewpoints of 11-13C) which combined with surface heating could yield a couple hundred J/kg CAPE. Low-level convergence zone will likely provide the trigger for a few scattered heavy showers, particularly from midday and through the afternoon hours in a line from SW England northeastwards towards London and/or East Anglia. The environment will be reasonably well-sheared, allowing cells to become somewhat organised and capable of producing sporadic lightning and small hail. Given saturated ground from recent rain events, there will be a risk of some localised surface water flooding.

Main concern is somewhat limited convective depth, which may serve to inhibit much in the way of lightning. In fact, it is primarily the UKMO suite that consistently signals deep convection and heavy showers/thunderstorms, whereas most other model guidance appears rather lacking in any particularly noteworthy convection. For now have issued a low-end SLGT.

Any showers/storms that do develop will tend to weaken during the evening hours as daytime heating subsides, though some weak elevated convection may develop in a rather random fashion during the night hours over the English Channel and adjacent southern coastal counties, including the Channel Islands.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-06-11

IMG_20190610_213050.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

I keep watching the rain appear to back build and it reminds me of a Thames Streamer...is that possible with rain rather than snow? ☔☔

Posted

Just had a rumble of thunder here

Nothing showing on Lightning Maps or Blitzortung though 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather
1 minute ago, Mizzle said:

I keep watching the rain appear to back build and it reminds me of a Thames Streamer...is that possible with rain rather than snow? ☔☔

I thought it was back building. That's a lot of rain continuity pouring in that one spot. The amazing thing it. You gotta go down the road like 10 mins and you're out of it