Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective Discussion - 20th April 2019 onwards

Supacell

Posted

Had some fairly large hail here, saw a nice CG bolt and a few flashes, a proper April shower!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
4 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

I couldn't believe the size of the hail here some of them were huge i was wearing a baseball cap and one hit me on the head i felt it, the weird thing is it came out of absolutely nowhere.

Well although they have melted a bit 5mm to 10mm in size. One flash lightning a few minutes back as the shower moved away. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Good job they weren't bigger or I would have been putting an insurance claim for a car respray.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Joey.G said:

Feeling lucky here! Saw a few cg's at a distance yesterday in Derbyshire (@supacell probably same ones as you, I was up Middleton top on the high peak trail looking Ashbourne way) and today working in Sutton in Ashfield got a direct hit from a pokey little storm! Few cg's (couple close ones) and plenty of ic. No hail tho. Not much in the way of pics but these of its backside 

Yes, that would be the same one. I was on top of Alport Heights which is not far from Middleton Top (also looking towards Ashbourne)

As for today I have been on a small storm chase (as in stayed fairly local by my standards) into Nottinghamshire. As I was driving towards Mansfield there was a cell in front of me but traffic put pay to me catching it. However, I was interested in the cell near Loughborough as it was really starting to put out some sferics. This would eventually meet me just outside Southwell (near Newark) in a village called Hockerton. As it approached there were numerous flashes and the odd bolt (which I did not manage to capture) plus lots of thunder. When it came overhead the hailstones were impressive! Tons of pea to marble sized hailstones which covered the roads white. The sound as I drove through the hailstorm was incredible and there were some bright flashes of lightning. I think I could hear booming thunder too but the hail was making too much noise.

Eventually I parked up and watched the last of the hailstones from a stationery position and could then make out the booms of thunder. The storm moved away to the north and produced some nice IC's and CG's as it did. 

Just headed back and could see the cell that affected Derby/Alfreton/Chesterfield moving from south to north in front of me, but the constant traffic lights on the A38 around Sutton-in-Ashfield stopped me having a chance of catching it. To be fair though, I am more than impressed with what I got.

1656882660_HockertonHail.thumb.PNG.2f92d07915b8ea38e435f956bf8018be.PNG

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Wolverhampton has had a few rumbles thunder, heavy thundery showers and some hail.  I did not see any lightening but I suspect there was some.  Going very dark again. 

ay, forgot about this thread, posted mine in Midlands thread, which is so quiet, today saw a few thundery showers and hail, around 15 miles north of you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

uploading a vid of  the storm that past to my west with constant thunder and a few flashes with some IC mixed in,be about hour an half.

meanwhile,standing tall somewhere in Lincolnshire.

DSC02463.thumb.JPG.887e2c7e2e16d500f3005c72eaa3d7c1.JPG

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

A couple of small thunderstorms this afternoon between 5 and 6pm in Sheffield. Some nice flashes of lightning seen and thunder heard  

Posted

Thunder rumbles yesterday heard on way to Manchester airport in the afternoon and now just experienced a beefy little storm cell over Merseyside with great lighting and fantastic loud thunder claps and rumbles. Heavy downpour for about 15 mins then a few more claps as it raced off in a NE'ly direction to deliver it's joy  

Great start to the season, let's hope it carries on through the coming months.

Edited by Despicable Weather
  • Like 1

Posted

Just had an amazing storm here with frequent lightning, heavy pea-sized hail and a rain rate of 82mm/hr. Quite an impressive drop in temperature too, down to 7.4c now.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain

Oh how jelous I am of you lot lol!

Some nice big Cumulonimbus around here, quite something.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Pretty sure that's the most impressive T & L storm in years here.
Three quarters of an hour of flashes and bangs.  Still rumbling now.
The poor whippet is shaking.

B.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Quiet a nice looking cell over N lincolnshire.

DSC02466.thumb.JPG.aa7c4cbc2dc0ee1446a7ee263066e865.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

That's the one! It's the most impressive storm I've seen here for years. Hopefully it's the starter for a good summer for it. Last year was utterly dire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Could hear the thunder distantly from the storm to my east/south-east before but then it all died. At least I heard thunder today but mostly a letdown...again 

Posted

Likely there's a localized flooding event happening between Bude and Ilfracome with a back-building storm still ongoing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

Awesome storms in Ayrshire tonight 

FB_IMG_1556216208586.jpg

20190425_181202.jpg

20190425_182535.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1