Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

"What do I take?" - The question answered - A Kit List!

ItIsGee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Towel , what the devil would you want to bring a towel for,  coals to Newcastle!      Johnston's baby powder is a must. Graham leant me some of his it felt nice.  oh and good to stop smelly feet.   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 hours ago, Tom Lynch said:

Towel , what the devil would you want to bring a towel for

My thoughts too! I know we sometimes have to resort to less than reputable motels from time to time, but never have I not been provided with a towel!

Posted

With the miles rolling by, I think you have forgotten a suggestion from times gone past, when a gas station cannot be located, and for the female guests , when a pit stop in the bus is needed, a SHEWEE was on the recommended list for those who prefer dry legs or are a poor aim. Come on now this is sharing list!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards
7 hours ago, Dorsetbred said:

With the miles rolling by, I think you have forgotten a suggestion from times gone past, when a gas station cannot be located, and for the female guests , when a pit stop in the bus is needed, a SHEWEE was on the recommended list for those who prefer dry legs or are a poor aim. Come on now this is sharing list!

Good point however id did make a point that this is what i take!!! If i took a shewee i would have been ask a few more questions!!!

Posted
12 hours ago, Crashlanding said:

Good point however id did make a point that this is what i take!!! If i took a shewee i would have been ask a few more questions!!!

A friend in need is a friend in deed:help:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dan Martin said:

Camera lenses - is it worth bringing my 70-200? The wide and mid range zooms are a give, just wondering about a telephoto?

I didn't take my telephoto lens, mid-range zoom was all I needed (24-105) and I didn't miss it - and less weight was a small bonus! 

Posted
5 hours ago, Dan Martin said:

Camera lenses - is it worth bringing my 70-200? The wide and mid range zooms are a give, just wondering about a telephoto?

i took a 300 i didnt use it much but hen i neede dit it was fab!  totally up to you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9
11 hours ago, ItIsGee said:

i took a 300 i didnt use it much but hen i neede dit it was fab!  totally up to you!

Graham have you suddenly turned Scottish, Hen. 

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

One of the things that I have been discussing with last years tour group is data for phones and devices. Weather holidays do provide great Wi-fi on the tours ( and I hear it has been great so far this year) but there can always be connectivity and multi usage issues. The most important thing is that Paul and his team can have the fastest and best data updates when he needs it most, so I am ensuring that I have my own data plan in place, so as not to slow up the internet speed at crucial moments. It may be worth contacting your phone provider so that you have a back up plan at these crucial moments. I am sorting one out with EE for a relatively modest price. 

I have also got myself a Revolut card so that I don’t have to rely on cash and can take advantage of the better exchange rates they offer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Three's Feel at Home plans are superb, you get to use the 3G network of both T-Mobile and AT&T and it rarely dropped out last year. It's included in most of their contract plans.

Posted
On 10/05/2019 at 19:58, chionomaniac said:

One of the things that I have been discussing with last years tour group is data for phones and devices. Weather holidays do provide great Wi-fi on the tours ( and I hear it has been great so far this year) but there can always be connectivity and multi usage issues. The most important thing is that Paul and his team can have the fastest and best data updates when he needs it most, so I am ensuring that I have my own data plan in place, so as not to slow up the internet speed at crucial moments. It may be worth contacting your phone provider so that you have a back up plan at these crucial moments. I am sorting one out with EE for a relatively modest price. 

I have also got myself a Revolut card so that I don’t have to rely on cash and can take advantage of the better exchange rates they offer.

As a driver/tech support / the odd forecasting opinion, I can put my 2p worth!

Last year we opted to go for the unlimited data mobile phone contracts to use as tethering hotspots, which work well and allows everyone including myself to browse the net, look at radar data and when the signal is strong and we are not doing much, looking at whenever we need to on the laptop!

At the peak of the chase on whatever day that is, you can be in the middle of a metro area in OKC or the depths of the wilderness in Montana, the signal does frequently disappear due to overloading of chasers trying to share that 1 bar of 3g or the shear size of a storm has locked off the 4g signals.  sharing the data in the cars is a brilliant option for everyone especially on tedious 500 mile drives but when the time comes, all data is reserved for the chasing data and if needed, it will be limited to staff.

the reason for this above, i spoke to EE about my plan and they changed my uk allowance to be available in the USA and Canada (proved helpful last year) it is limited to 15gb a  month but thats a lot of data when browsing!

Always worth asking your provider for an allowance just in case the usual wifi options are not available!

boom!

great thread!  keep your additional items coming!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

two penneth from Mr Michael Fish

"You don't need anything special except maybe mosquito spray. You never venture far from the van. just t-shirts and trousers (to protect from rattlesnakes!!!) Obviously a good camera. The ability to eat masses of junk food and large steaks. A hat. Patience at the immigration queue!!. Enjoy. I'm jealous and wish I could come with you."

mikefishstorm.png

• Like 2

What data connection package do you use when stormchasing? I'm also from the UK and have been chasing in the US every spring since 2011 and this year I've got the best package so far, which is unlimited data for a month for $80 from Verizon with no need to have a contract. I really welcomed that as there was no limit whereas in the past I had to buy 10 GB bundles. However, I'd like to find out what data package other UK chasers go for when chasing in the US. With regards to operator, Verizon seems to have one of the best signal coverages. Regarding the cost, I'm happy to pay $80 for unlimited data, but it's still much higher than what I pay in the UK for unlimited data. If anyone knew a better US unlimited data deal that doesn't require a contract I'd be interested to know more details.

Posted

That;s the one we use, we've not found a better option in terms of coverage, albeit there are some cheaper options available I think.