Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

"What do I take?" - The question answered - A Kit List!

ItIsGee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Storm Chasing Kit List

Its not long to go until the trip of a lifetime OR the return of the one thing that is fleecing your bank account once again for the returning chasers!

The one thing that we are asked for the most is, “what shall I pack?” amongst other random questions! SO.. I thought it would be worthwhile to make a list of what I take (or should take!) and share it to make sure no one forgets anything!

This list is based on packing a standard size suitcase (hard style one!) with everything INCLUDING a kitchen sink!

Here goes based on 1 tour of 10 days!

• ·         Suitcase – the size and style depend what your bringing along.  I pack 2 tripods in one side of mine and any smaller it wouldn’t fit!

• ·         Clothes – Remember, you’re on a 10-day storm chasing trip which usually means you are away from the UK (or whatever your origin is!) for around 12 days so make sure you have enough to go around! 10 T shirts can be excessive, but I always use the n + 1 formula, n being the number of days your going + 1! This way you have a spare.  You can always wash/ rinse them in your motel rooms or do what I do sometimes and wear it in the shower! BOOM 2 birds, one stone! Worst case…Walmart! All of the motels that we stay in generally have a laundry room, so if you need to, you can wash your clothes once we get back to the hotels! A pair of jeans maybe a good choice in case we go somewhere nice for a beer?

• ·         Equipment – Without preparing like you are getting ready to land on the dark side of the moon, we all love our little gadgets and home comforts so its always good to see how you can minimize the amount of dung you drag though he airports with i.e if you have a phone, kindle, camera that share the same cable then bring one and not 12! This is also a good thing as the airport security guys don’t think your planning to gate-crashing someone BBQ! The main things I bring with me to charge/plug in etc include – charging cables for cameras, phone, laptop, Pauls sextoy.  Obviously, the charging cables for cameras double up as data transfer cables too. NOW to plug them all in – a 4 way strip plug with ONE USA adaptor is the way forward, always good to bring a spare adaptor but this way you only need one!

• ·         Toiletries – Remember, you are on a 10 day chasing trip, sitting close to strangers (who will become your new BFF’s!) for nearly 2 weeks in close proximity – for the love of God, have a shower in the morning! There is nothing worse that sitting next to someone who has worn the same T shirt for 4 days and isn’t a morning shower person!  Shower gel, toothpaste, deodorant, hair gel (Tom) are all available from Walmart (whether its Dallas or Denver, you are not too far from somewhere were you can stock up on personal items) This is advisable as it cuts down on your luggage allowance for the plane and it’s pretty much the same stuff.

• ·         Shoes – now, wearing trainers is really comfortable but there are places where there is uneven ground and could be tricky but in general, whever you feel comfortable in, just no flip flops as you may be asked to in the car quickly and tripping over some sort of sandal could hurt.  Walking boots/shoes/trainers things are quite popular and are fairly cheap from Sports Direct (Karrimor) as long as its supportive, you should be ok!

Now to write specific list of the kit that I’ll bring!

• ·         Suitcase – as described above!
  • ·         Clothing – same as above!
  • ·         Jacket – even though you may have put sun cream on at 10am, it can change quickly and you will need a jacket as it can get cold.
  • ·         Electronic equipment – cables etc
  • ·         4 way strip plug
  • ·         2 USA adapters
  • ·         Toiletries – some deodorant and tooth paste (I have lots at home!)
  • ·         Sun cream – you maybe chasing lemon weather but good weather is needed to fuel those bad boys!  Its easy to get burned especially in 100f heat (its possible!)
  • ·         Bug spray – insect repellent, sometimes is buggy! You can buy in Walmart.
  • ·         Camera gear – Tripod x 2, DLSR x 2, GoPro x 1 – Batteries, memory cards etc
  • ·         First aid kit – we will have one for the team but its always good to have your own stash of plasters and creams etc.  a bite/sting cream is with bringing just in case Paul sees a money spider the size of a pin head!
  • ·         Memory card readers
  • ·         Bin bag – for those dirty clothes
  • ·         Dryer sheets – for putting in said bin bag and making your suitcase smell nice!
  • ·         Tea bags – if you have a specific brand, bring some.  Better than crap coffee from  days inn!
  • ·         Laptop and HDD – to upload the days pictures and videos.
  • ·         Headphones – not only for the long flight but if you’re in the lead car, Pauls stories can get boring and he does like to waffle!
  • ·         Currency card – cash is king and its good to have some to pay for tips etc but carrying a lot of it could mean its all cash that can be lost.  I use a Multicurrencypassport card which allows you to top up your card via an app and it lets you switch your balance between different currencies – those going to Canada, this would be helpful as we are more than likely going to pop over the border back to the USA. - https://www.multicurrencycashpassport.com

There may be some things that I have missed but in general this is what I look at packing.  We area all different and some people might be happy bringing absolute minimal stuff and washing their clothes every night!  Whatever suits you, we are happy but please do not bring 2 suitcases as we do not have the room in the cars!

Feel free to add to this list via a reply and I am sure we can put together the ultimate list!

• Like 2

Posted

Brilliant cheers mate this will help lots of people out newbies and veterans alike

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm sorry...you wear t-shirts in the shower? What?! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

You know!!! take it in the shower and wash it! makes it smell nice!!!

Posted
7 hours ago, Arron said:

Extra pants, ALWAYS bring extra pants  ?️

Or just wear them in the shower, apparently.

But yeah, bringing plenty of clothes is a must.

Posted
59 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Or just wear them in the shower, apparently.

But yeah, bringing plenty of clothes is a must.

See, you’re learning!!!!

Posted
21 minutes ago, Crashlanding said:

See, you’re learning!!!!

I suppose I should be grateful that you do shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave
13 hours ago, Nick L said:

I do that, must be a Northern thing. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, mikeofmacc said:

Do you people not use washing machines?!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

I suppose I should be grateful that you do shower.

only on my birthday and storm chasing!

Posted
2 hours ago, mikeofmacc said:

just saving water and soap i suppose!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Do you people not use washing machines?!

Nah, gave that up years ago.

Back on topic, I bring two pairs of shoes, inevitably there will be muddy bits, so keep a pair clean for if there is a down day. Also, I tend to bring a laptop to back up photos off the camera, for back up purposes. Less to lose if the worst should happen with your camera.

Posted
9 minutes ago, mikeofmacc said:

Nah, gave that up years ago.

Back on topic, I bring two pairs of shoes, inevitably there will be muddy bits, so keep a pair clean for if there is a down day. Also, I tend to bring a laptop to back up photos off the camera, for back up purposes. Less to lose if the worst should happen with your camera.

Laptop and HDD – to upload the days pictures and videos. - i listed that!!!! READ IT PROPERLY!!!! LOLZ!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Bottle opener.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Bottle opener.

YES!!!!!! <---------------------------- This!!! 

Posted
6 hours ago, Crashlanding said:

Laptop and HDD – to upload the days pictures and videos. - i listed that!!!! READ IT PROPERLY!!!! LOLZ!!!!

Lol, so you did. Another Northern trait, don't read stuff properly lol!

• Like 1

Posted

Lol, so you did. Another Northern trait, don't read stuff properly lol!

sorry what did you say?

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Crashlanding said:

sorry what did you say?

I never read stuff properly lol. Always ends well! Trying to buy a new lens for this year, a manual focus Nikon zoom lens, and product descriptions send me to sleep!

Posted

I never read stuff properly lol. Always ends well! Trying to buy a new lens for this year, a manual focus Nikon zoom lens, and product descriptions send me to sleep!

I think you misread what i meant!

Posted

On the subject of laundry - most motels have a washer and dryer, so I take less clothes and more gear these days and do a wash mid-tour. The machines take quarters so keep hold of any you get in change. The wash is generally $2 (8 quarters) and a dry tumble about the same. In a group it might be worth buying a ‘bag’ of washing powder at Walmart for a few dollars and share it. It’s much cheaper than buying a small box of the stuff from the motel counter or vending machine in the laundry room.

• Like 2