Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your best weather types

Posted

As an antidote to the thread about worst weather type, lets make our thoughts known on our favourite weather types.

Unlike the worst weather type, my favourite weather type does vary depending on the time of year.

In the autumn-winter period it has to be the northerly, it brings sparkling clear skies to these parts, often dry unless troughs and fronts are embedded within and when so bring snow.. potent sharp frosts as well.

From April - August it has to be the high directly overhead - homegrown heat, again clear skies, not usually hazy and less in the way of humid air, often very dry air. The high has to be quite closed, if it elongates into europe, it can become more hazy and polluting in nature, and humidity is raised. The only downside to this set up is the potential very high temps from June onwards, I'm not a fan of 30 degree +, 25 degrees suits me fine, so I tend to prefer these set ups earlier in the summer season, especially in May.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

UK high with clear blue skies all day, only in summer though, in winter mild south westerlies that keep the temps in double figures.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Summer 

low out west, high pressure the to the east (plume type setup) which usually provides this area with our best thunderstorms. 3 recent examples which produced lively storms in the evening / overnight

26th & 27th July 2018

archives-2018-7-26-0-0.thumb.png.3f0724cd6df542793f02e20aeb88158c.pngarchives-2018-7-26-12-0.thumb.png.c314b9799946e4b7247808e1106dc648.png archives-2018-7-27-0-0.thumb.png.3b688c206408242a6c2930f1f8fb6479.pngarchives-2018-7-27-0-1.thumb.png.e9f2a4bb891ce976f79f4082f96772ae.png 

2nd July 2015

archives-2015-7-2-0-0.thumb.png.4245cfa0eba3b06cb5984d4ebc75ebe2.pngarchives-2015-7-2-0-1.thumb.png.5a5d1c5bd29267e765a988e7071a218a.png 

Winter

Greenland / Scandi high as long as it results in an easterly, north easterly 2nd best

27th November > 30th November 2010 heavy snow moved in from the North Sea and was continuous for around 2 days giving us over a foot of snow also some thundersnow 

archives-2010-11-27-0-0.thumb.png.bbd0d8c865f13829a0ecde49d3fe0b42.pngarchives-2010-11-27-12-0.thumb.png.b12c0e1fd736066984b139ef2dcb588a.pngarchives-2010-11-28-0-0.thumb.png.c67e1b166c80aa0944addc70a1102996.pngarchives-2010-11-28-12-0.thumb.png.75efa4f801efabbb07000710e4e40024.pngarchives-2010-11-29-0-0.thumb.png.bf32ae90992d1d03f8152e3349ac89b9.pngarchives-2010-11-29-12-0.thumb.png.300681fcb38af8dea523f2b2a22b12af.png    

28th February > 2nd March 2018 (Beast From The East) similar to the 2010 event with almost continuous snow / thundersnow and even at my altitude of 20M ASL we still got over a foot of snow and a red snow warning

archives-2018-2-28-0-0.thumb.png.d612cdf10233e82cb409aee86bdeea08.pngarchives-2018-2-28-0-1.thumb.png.e5ca51d291d2d7032c7ebb182e73860e.pngarchives-2018-2-28-12-0.thumb.png.4abc6a3a7728e902e0b8ec5e05e5c701.pngarchives-2018-2-28-12-1.thumb.png.a958215ef2f346110dfc306fd1b42a94.pngarchives-2018-3-1-0-0.thumb.png.7db9262bfb4704674cc791af0ecf6bb9.pngarchives-2018-3-1-12-0.thumb.png.d66134c36101b828db5a951c697399e7.png   

archives-2018-3-2-0-0.thumb.png.47981e3fe09e3396aece7235d6b81f26.png 

start DSC_0013.thumb.JPG.1732c519b7df7a7efaf6e61f5ef4764b.JPG middle DSC_0036.thumb.JPG.f425d01934e7fd4d6facbf5200c73f7f.JPG DSC_0037.thumb.JPG.754704a3ada102f85061539946055b8b.JPG  end DSC_0039.thumb.JPG.496734882bb1e4ce3bc71c71bba7e947.JPG DSC_0040.thumb.JPG.a9ffc9b507a927b7d1148a194cb7800c.JPG DSC_0045.thumb.JPG.d3852a93660f5de866c3a6be14f19505.JPGDSC_0046.thumb.JPG.044ca387967108c6ed9f7e7af9109781.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Spring: I prefer a mixed spring with it getting progressively settled and warmer as we go through the season and a big no to snow unless there's exceptional uppers (i.e. the easterlies in March 2018)

Summer: High pressure right over the UK bringing warm and settled conditions but I also don't mind seeing a plume from the south bringing hot conditions and thunderstorms off the continent, also because I am a fan of extremes.

Autumn: Similar to spring but in reverse, with it progressively getting less mild, however I like a warm September as it usually makes up for the typical August crap we seem to endure nowadays.

Winter: A winter like 2009/10 of course!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Okay then, here goes:

Winter: lots and lots and lots of snow; Spring: warmer and sunnier than average with thunderstorms; Summer: warmer and sunnier than average with thunderstorms, and Autumn: warmer and sunnier than average with thunderstorms...:oldgrin:

• Like 3

Posted

My favourite weather type is snow showers mixed in with clear spells. I particularly enjoy observing the cloud tops from a distance as the snow showers are approaching. March 2018 was perfect for that as my place looks to the east towards the Pennines so i had an excellent view of the snow showers as they were coming in the easterly wind. Radar watching is also great fun in such a set up. 

A sufficiently cold northwestely is also great but sadly in the last few years i find that the warming has disabled those northwesterlies and we mainly get sleet.

Summer weather doesn't interest me to the slightest so anything that prevents heat is good in my book. Having said that a good thunderstorm can be entertaining but that rarely happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Winter deep snow biting easterly winds with frequent snow showers. Failing that mild and stormy. By stormy strong winds lasting a day not two gusts to 50mph as the cold front passes.  Spring cold frosty mornings Sunny by day wintry showers at night as the temp drops and also some dry warm early summer later on. Summer dry with temps around 21C, light cooling breeze. Breakdowns leading to a day of thunderstorms. Autumn dry warm at first then some stormy weather at the end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

like Ed really, but as we all know, snow is getting rarer quickly, certainly more chance of a hot spell in summer than cold in winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Winter: Frost, fog, sunshine, decent convective episodes, snow, squall lines

Spring: warmth, sunshine, showers

Summer: sunny, warm-hot, thunderstorms, occasional heavy frontal rain 

Autumn: warm sunshine to start then more changeable, settled for Halloween/Bonfire night, mist and fog, frosts and wintry showers later on and some Atlantic storms

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

Since I love proper cold and dry crisp weather in all seasons my best eather types are any that bring clean crisp dry Arctic or Continental Polar air whether its from Northwesterlies, straight Northerlies, Northeasterlies, Easterlies or even clean Rex bloke highs.  I also love Maritime Polar Northwesterlies and Westerlies as long as they are not too wet!  Gentle showers or light rain or snow, nothing more.  Sadly Arctic and Atlantic warming has decreased the potency and frequency of all our classic cold setups.

Edited by Lettucing Gutted
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - cold, summer - not hot

Winter - cold, snowy

Spring - cloudy, cool, dry

Summer - cool, rain, cloudy, not too humid

Autumn-some sun is OK, but prefer it cloudy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Like Karyo, but with big drifts.

Thunderstorms when they happen, I usually drive up to the summit of Monks Road, Charlesworth @1244ft. It makes for great viewing but I've had a few too close for comfort events where lightning has struck the ground and one case, the road sign 30 ft away.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.

I have Raynaud’s phenomenon, my blood vessels constrict in the cold weather and my hands turn pretty weird colours, if I’m out too long my hands turn a reddy purple. I absolutely hate winter because of this, so I’d have to say my favourite weather is the blistering summer heat for sure

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

For here in Dundee from late November to mid March I want Easterlies with t850’s of below -8C bringing frequent and heavy snow showers. Examples that come to mind readily are late Feb / early March 2018, late Nov/ early Dec 2010 and mid Jan 1987.  In the area that I was brought up in the Central Highlands up cold PM Westerlies could often be just as good if not quite as cold.

For the rest of the year Northerlies suit me. Sunshine and convectional showers which may be wintry in early Spring or late Autumn. Dry, sunny and warm days in Summer but cool nights.

I am partial to a good thunderstorm also but not keen on the humidity that often goes with it. The occasional big Winter storm / gale is also acceptable but not too often.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
4 hours ago, SunnyDazee said:

I have Raynaud’s phenomenon, my blood vessels constrict in the cold weather and my hands turn pretty weird colours, if I’m out too long my hands turn a reddy purple. I absolutely hate winter because of this, so I’d have to say my favourite weather is the blistering summer heat for sure

I have the same!  Can be very painful especially in windy, cold weather.  Unlike the majority, I can also sleep comfortably in temperatures 30C+ (indoor temperature that is). Perfect day of weather for me would be the following:

Morning: 15-20C and clear blue skies.  Calm and the birds are singing.

Afternoon:  Rising to 30-36C,  a few cumulus clouds to give a little shelter from direct sunlight.  Larger cumulus congestus clouds forming too in the humid air and instability.

Evening: Cooling off to 20-25C.  Large thunderstorms breaking out and epic lightning shows.

Overnight: No cooler than 15C.  Clear skies allowing for some astrophotography!

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, sunny.
3 hours ago, Earthshine said:

I have the same!  Can be very painful especially in windy, cold weather.  Unlike the majority, I can also sleep comfortably in temperatures 30C+ (indoor temperature that is). Perfect day of weather for me would be the following:

Morning: 15-20C and clear blue skies.  Calm and the birds are singing.

Afternoon:  Rising to 30-36C,  a few cumulus clouds to give a little shelter from direct sunlight.  Larger cumulus congestus clouds forming too in the humid air and instability.

Evening: Cooling off to 20-25C.  Large thunderstorms breaking out and epic lightning shows.

Overnight: No cooler than 15C.  Clear skies allowing for some astrophotography!

A fellow Raynauder! Yeah it’s preety painful in cold weather, I can’t even move my hands when it drops below 5 degrees and I’m out for too long. Gloves don’t work either my hand just goes numb, purple and sore. It’s horrid and you can’t really get used to it either so I just hope for warm weather personally or run my hands under the shower or tap to warm them up first, that tends to help them stay warmer for longer though, but yes it’s horrid

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, SunnyDazee said:

A fellow Raynauder! Yeah it’s preety painful in cold weather, I can’t even move my hands when it drops below 5 degrees and I’m out for too long. Gloves don’t work either my hand just goes numb, purple and sore. It’s horrid and you can’t really get used to it either so I just hope for warm weather personally or run my hands under the shower or tap to warm them up first, that tends to help them stay warmer for longer though, but yes it’s horrid

I have Raynaud's too - darned pest  - I can usually gauge the temperature by the speed and degree my fingers turn white. 

I find a hat, a polo neck, a few upper layers, a scarf and, of course, gloves help.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I'll just copy this from my profile

Weather Preferences

Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

That sums it up for me, cold winter with plenty of snow, not that we get that very often of course. Warm or hot summer with plenty of clear sunny days and thunderstorms. 

To add to that in spring I like warmth and plenty of showers, although I'd also take March 2018 as long as it really delivered like that and didn't drag on too long. Early autumn I like warmth but by the middle let the transition to winter begin. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

not surprised by the answer so far..pretty standard snow and cold in winter and hot weather and or thunderstorms in summer..i will take sunny and dry all year round..18c-25c in summer and -20c - +10c in winter..as snow in winter and thunderstorms in summer is the norm here..they are just meh these days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

A run of clear days and frosty nights in winter - seems almost impossible to get ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

A run of clear days and frosty nights in winter - seems almost impossible to get ! 

yes, nowadays because winds Dec to Feb come from SW, so actually feels a lot warmer than the prevailing easterlies in April

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

Tell me about it! Even frost is hard to achieve these days never mind snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Warm/hot and sunny. Cold and snowy.